• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Damn I miss Gibbs

Beans

The 1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Rival Allegiance
Gibbs >>>>> Shanahan

Did anyone here really like Shanahan at Denver? At least Zorny made us horny. Shanahan just makes me angry. The defense is regressing (his fault). The offense was hot early in the season; however, a lack of talent at the skill positions eventually caught up to them (and refs). It's a nightmare. As a sports fan it gets harder and harder every year to cheer this team as moves are made that even an average fan recognizes as erroneous. Josh "I suck" Morgan over Eric Winston?

And to think, I once defended Jason Campbell...boycott all NFL tickets and merchandise till Danny boy puts a winner on the field. Fans need to put owners on notice. If they can't win, they should go out of business and be forced to sell...free markets and such...yeah right....:dizzy2:

I don't miss Gibbs. Do we all forget the pretty much unanimous consensus that even though his results have been better than anyone else since Snyder took over that those two playoff teams were not long-term competitive products, that they weren't good enough to be a serious contender at the time either, and that for the most part (despite how much we all love Gibbs) it was becoming clear the game had passed him by? Or am I not remembering correctly or grossly over exaggerating here?

I seem to remember Jason Campbell being a gibbs acquisition?

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't miss Gibbs. Do we all forget the pretty much unanimous consensus that even though his results have been better than anyone else since Snyder took over that those two playoff teams were not long-term competitive products, that they weren't good enough to be a serious contender at the time either, and that for the most part (despite how much we all love Gibbs) it was becoming clear the game had passed him by?

I seem to remember Jason Campbell being a gibbs acquisition?

The only reason they weren't long term competitive products was the inability to find the long term solution at quarterback. Brunell was showing his age, then the Campbell debacle. If Aaron Rodgers falls to us, or the Skins had picked up Brees in free agency, I strongly believe that Gibbs goes down as the GOAT. I know, I know...woulda, coulda, shoulda...

The only reason they weren't long term competitive products was the inability to find the long term solution at quarterback. Brunell was showing his age, then the Campbell debacle. If Aaron Rodgers falls to us, or the Skins had picked up Brees in free agency, I strongly believe that Gibbs goes down as the GOAT. I know, I know...woulda, coulda, shoulda...

So you think those rosters were of championship quality if it weren't for JC as the QB?

So you think those rosters were of championship quality if it weren't for JC as the QB?

Defense was good enough. Yes. With an awesome QB, the Skins roll!

I don't miss Gibbs the personnel man but yes, I miss Gibbs the coach. Those teams he got to the playoffs with weren't loaded with talent. Twice in his four years we finished the season 4-0 and never worse than 2-2. How much would we give for even that right now?

I just wish Snyder had brought in a real personnel guy to help Gibbs build a solid, deep team. Who knows how far we would have gone.

Defense was good enough. Yes. With an awesome QB, the Skins roll!

Well then we disagree on the quality of the roster at that time :)

I seem to remember screams about age, about vets that came here to retire after 'proving' themselves elsewhere, about a lack of using the draft wisely. I remember a 'playoff team' that won after barely putting up around 150 yards of total offense.

Well then we disagree on the quality of the roster at that time :)

I seem to remember screams about age, about vets that came here to retire after 'proving' themselves elsewhere, about a lack of using the draft wisely.

Having a maestro of a quarterback conduct the offense tends to lift all boats. I think people's opinions of the roster are vastly different with an all pro signal caller.

I remember a 'playoff team' that won after barely putting up around 150 yards of total offense.

That was after Brunell got reinjured and reverted back to 2004 when he was regularly unable to put up 100 yards passing. If we had a quality QB we'd have easily rolled through the playoffs with that defense. Even Ramsey would have been a huge upgrade. I think Gibbs downfall was sticking with Brunell even though it was obvious that he was done.

That was after Brunell got reinjured and reverted back to 2004 when he was regularly unable to put up 100 yards passing. If we had a quality QB we'd have easily rolled through the playoffs with that defense. Even Ramsey would have been a huge upgrade. I think Gibbs downfall was sticking with Brunell even though it was obvious that he was done.

Yup, that could have been the Skins year. Brunell (and Gibbs for sticking with him) blew it. Brunell should have been a better teammate and sat himself down...what could have been. Then Len Pasquarelli would have been forced to shove that "ordinary Joe" bull**** up his fat ass...yes, I'm still mad.

T If Aaron Rodgers falls to us

Do you really think that Aaron Rodgers could have overcome the constant change in coordinators? I don't. It is hard for a rookie to come into this league and win. It is even harder when they go to a place that lacks stability.

Aaron went to the perfect spot to succeed. If he was a Skin, he would have failed, been shipped off by now and we would be in the same boat.

Even Peyton Manning came out and said that he could not have survived what Campbell went through.

Gibbs was great. But I sure don't miss his run-heavy, antiquated offense.

Rodgers was a pretty finished product when he was drafted. He nearly beat the USC champion team in LA the year he was in the draft.

I respectfully disagree. I thought Aaron had a lot of improvements to make when he was drafted. So much so, that I questioned whether or not he was going to become a viable starter. My main question about him was his physical attributes. I really thought he was way too small and didn't have the strength to be a great starting QB.

I think the best possible situation for him was to go to Green Bay and sit under Brett Favre for a while. He was able to bulk up and learn the game better. He would not have been afforded that opportunity in Washington. He would have been thrown into the fire and in my opinion would have failed like Campbell did.

I don't believe there is one QB in this league that could have survived on this team as a rookie in the last 10 years. None.

No offense Gibbs lovers, but he never developed a great QB.

No offense Gibbs lovers, but he never developed a great QB.

I don't know, to his credit he did take some pretty mediocre QBs pretty damn far...

He may have never developed a young QB, but does anybody remember or care about Doug Williams, Mark Rypien, or Joe Theismann without Gibbs?

Can you name one young great talent Gibbs ever had the opportunity to mold?

i miss winning

While da wimmins are always big on three word sentences, this one really hits home with me. Not only do "I miss winning", I miss the sense of pride in my team. I miss the feeling that we're likely to win every Sunday.

And I hate that, since Gibbs I, we haven't been able to find "the next great coach" like so many other teams have. :cry:

tr1 started his comment with 'under Gibbs.' In summation, I believe he was saying under Gibbs Aaron had an opportunity to be just as good as he was with the Packers. If I am wrong on that, I am sure tr1 will correct me.

But, I stand by what I said. He never developed a young QB. It does not matter if he lead mediocre QBs. I see similar comments to tr1s all the time. I don't agree that Rodgers would have been great with the Skins. I think he would have failed like everyone else.

Gibbs was and is a great leader. Nobody in their right mind could take that away from him. I just don't think he is the kind of guy to develop talent.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.