• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

I'd Fire Shanahan Right Now

The Redskins still have Royster on the roster as a guy that started games last year. He should have seen some carries in the second half to keep the Panthers from pinning their ears back and rushing Griffin.

"Back from the locker room. I'm a bit surprised Mike Shanahan said the season now moves to evaluation mode. Some players were surprised, too."

Rich Campbell

You fire this loser immediately. Tomorrow morning.

I would normally argue (as I have) that the revolving door at HC has to stop and that we'll never get back to consistent winning and respectability if we change coaches every 3-4 years. I still believe that. But that statement by Shanahan is really concerning. What in the hell is he thinking saying something like that.

I'll go contrarian in one way. I think Snyder needs to stop being 'in awe' of the legendary coaches he hires, and put some pressure on Shanahan/Allen - some 'you're playing for your jobs' pressure.

Thing is, almost everyone in the NFL is in love with the potential of Griffin. If you choose to fire Shanahan every hot prospect would be dying to hitch his wagon to RGIII's star.

I said that earlier in the week Boone. Time for Snyder to learn the fine line between too much control and not enough. Shanahan is not going anywhere for 2 more years, but Snyder needs to let him know he may have been given a lot of leash when he was hired but it's getting shorter.

So far a number of the personnel moves haven't turned out (yet).

Niles Paul? Has done little at TE.

Jarvis Jenkins? A former #2 pick that has been tasteless, colorless and odorless on the defense. An anticipated impact player that has made little impact.

Josh LeRibeus? On an OL that is average at best, this guy is so hideous that Mo Hurt a former #7 pick continues to beat this guy out of an active spot each week?

Brandon Banks? His punt return averages and tendency to fumble should have been enough to open up a roster spot weeks ago.

Leonard Hankerson? Another former high draft choice like Jenkins that is a big guy that doesn't play big. He makes his catches each week, but drops balls as well. Rarely does he get significant yardage after the catch and doesn't seem to be able to use his height and size to really physical up the corners and safeties that are covering him.

When Garcon went out you would have expected Morgan to step up and be more of a factor and while he has more catches the past few weeks, he has not been a difference maker.

Another guy with size and athletic ability we signed that doesn't seem to be able to take advantage of the opportunity to play more and become a core performer.

To me he is a backup receiver on a good offense. We are paying him to be more than that. Another over-reach IMO.

As to the 3-4 vs. the 4-3 defense - I don't understand why Shanahan was hell bent on using the 3-4 when the Giants have shown a 4-3 defense can continue to win Super Bowls.

Since we moved to the 3-4 in 2010, it has been a case of not having Player X or Player Y.

We don't have a space eating NT that is a consistent double team threat. Cofield at 305 is about 15-20 pound lighter than many of the other NTs in the NFL in the 3-4.

We don't have linebackers that are James Harrison type nightmares on the pass rush but at the same time don't have any that are demons in coverage either.

When you look at the Steelers in 2005, 2008 or 2010 their linebackers excelled in rushing the passer and their inside guys including the safeties could cover the short and intermediate routes.

Even with all 11 starters healthy, the Redskins defense lacks that athlete that you put down as 'one of the best at his position'.

The team has some solid guys and good work ethic guys in the front seven that can play but the defense needs that difference-maker.

In the backfield, the Redskins have been awful since Shanahan arrived. The decisions made on personnel in the backfield, at corner and safety, have been boomerangs that came back to hit the team in the back of the head.

None of the free agents have turned into playmakers. None of the draft picks have emerged as gems. And the guys that have been holdovers from the old regime, DeAngelo Hall and Reed Doughty, both need to go from a talent/production standpoint.

In fact, I will go as far as to say until Reed Doughty is let go this team won't be serious about contending.

Why do I say that?

Because the team is in denial. Every year they bring in someone to start at safety but due to injury, poor performance, suspension, etc. Doughty ends up getting back on the field as a spot starter.

Then he ends up playing 8 or 9 games as a regular, despite the fact we just completed a prior season where everyone agreed he was too slow and limited physically to be more than a special teamer.

Letting Doughty go will force the team to develop some legitimate options at the safety position and not delude themselves into thinking Doughty constitutes 'solid' depth.

Because he doesn't.

Oh, and among the busts let's add in OJ Atogwe and Jammal Brown.

Some serious cap dollars wasted there.

I would cut Banks immediately. That **** he pulled at the end of the game was preposterous, and discouraging to Griff. I would bring in some CB prospects this week and cut or deactivate Hall as well. And I would be incredibly tempted to fire Haz tomorrow morning, if for nothing else than to shake things up.

And I have NO problem with Snyder putting Shanahan on notice. We need to see some substantial improvement in effort and reduction of penalties through the end of the year, or Shanny is out on his ass.

Again, unlike the previous administration Shanahan and Allen have done some good things. But not enough to really change the course of the franchise yet.

More definitely could have been done in 2010 and 2011 to set the stage for the addition of Griffin in 2012.

Those high picks for McNabb and Jammal Brown from 2010 could have been 2-3 additional starters on this team right now.

The cap space wasted on Atogwe and Brown could have been spent on guys we ended up not being able to afford in free agency this past offseason.

One good move followed by one poor one leads to stalemate in terms of growth.

What we need to start seeing is 3 or 4 good decisions for each poor one.

Then you will see this team improve.

I was in the game chat today talking about the need to overhaul the entire coaching staff top to bottom. I also pointed out the need to let Shannahan finish out his contract first, so coaches won't be entirely turned off to come here.

But seriously, it's extremely difficult to think sanely like that when your coach is a sorry do nothing bastard who supports Haslett and the rest of these losers, then goes on tv IN WEEK 9 and says the season is over. With that, he lost the little bit of support and respect I still had for him. He needs to go, period.

If the staff has given up, the players are likely going to follow, and the next 7 games abecome even less worth watching than they already were. I just can't watch a bunch of sorry ass quitters, and I won't do it. I'll watch the Eagles game to see if the team has turned into a bunch of quitting bitches like Shannahan admittedly has. If not, I will keep watching. If they have, I'll find another way to spend my Sundays. If they quit on us, I quit on them. **** em.

Six minutes left, down by two TDs, you just gave the ball back to the Panthers. If you're still interesting in giving your team a chance to come back in the contest, shouldn't you start using your timeouts immediately?

Not Shanny. Just sits on them and gets fortunate that the Panthers go deep on a play and the ball falls incomplete, stopping the clock. Then again, given his post-game comments, it wouldn't be surprising if he hadn't given up on the game.

Shanny going on pretty much on every 4th down on the opponents side of the field, no matter when in the game it is, shows that he has absolutely zero confidence in the defense. You have to think this is going to divide the locker room soon, if it hasn't already.

Dan Snyder must be wondering just how much he's getting out of his $7 million/year investment.

I wish we could get Chris Beatty to replace Kyle, or at least come on in some capacity. He's one of the best up and coming coaches out there, and most people outside of Virginia Beach have no idea who he is. He has the Midas touch.

I would be interested to see a poll put up about if Shanny should be fired, and if so when....

My knee jerk reaction is to can his ass asap, but really it will be after the season, and his staff follows him right out the damn door

Will Allen fire Shanahan? One of the conditions for Shanahan to come here was Snyder had to hire Allen. Allen and Shanahan were a package deal.

I would hope Allen would would do what is best for the team. Another concern is if Snyder cans both...does that mean another life for Vinny?

I'm still baffled by the lack of touches for Morris. Its unreal.
Also, why does Banks continue to get them? Hopefully this week was the last we'll see of him.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

At one point he was averaging 6 yards per carry, Griffin had 5.7 ypc, and Banks had 2.5 yards per touch. My conclusion: Kyle Shanahan, zero brains per playcall.

I'm just fed up. Tired of rooting for a sh!tty football team. So, so tired.

Fire him right now.....One question:

Replace him with who?

lets face it ,we need complete overhaul ! if we get different coaches hopefully the'll go back to tha 4-3 ...

Mentioned in chat that the team has quit. Based on what the coach said after the game, we can see that it starts at the top.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.