• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Two terrible, horrible, very bad, no good calls that changed the game.

Well, I think the other thing we saw is that Chris Cooley may be back but he is not the player he was in 2010 and before. He has clearly been compromised because of the knee operation in 2011 and is a 6'3 and 240 pound TE in an era where the top TEs like Graham and Gonzalez are 6'6 and 260 monsters that even without separation can go up and beat safeties and linebackers to the ball.

I am stunned that all of you are stunned that we called a play with Griffin out in a pass pattern. I have been expecting it ever since I watched his pro day and they finished with a lateral to the WR who then lobbed a bomb deep to Griff.

The only thing about this that surprised me is that it took Kyle to week 8 to use it.

I was a bit stunned that we didn't run more but then I am shocked at what Morris had for totals at the end of the game too. It just felt like he was ripping off yardage in 10 yard chunks every time he touched the ball but then only had 13 for 59 at the end of the game. Felt like he should have had 13 for a buck and a qtr.

I am more stunned that Kyle did not explicitly made it clear to Morgan (or whoever the passer was going to be) that they SHOULD NOT THROW THE BALL unless Griff was WIDE OPEN. If there were DBs anywhere in the general vicinity of Griff, hold it and run the reverse himself. It's not worth the risk. Griff had two guys within ten yards of him.

And I feel like I have been yelled at for continuing to talk about Morris not getting the ball, so I don't bring it up anymore, but 13 rushes is insane. In those weather conditions, he should have had 20+ carries, easily. Kyle is too cute for his own good.

I am more stunned that Kyle did not explicitly made it clear to Morgan (or whoever the passer was going to be) that they SHOULD NOT THROW THE BALL unless Griff was WIDE OPEN. If there were DBs anywhere in the general vicinity of Griff, hold it and run the reverse himself. It's not worth the risk. Griff had two guys within ten yards of him.

And I feel like I have been yelled at for continuing to talk about Morris not getting the ball, so I don't bring it up anymore, but 13 rushes is insane. In those weather conditions, he should have had 20+ carries, easily. Kyle is too cute for his own good.

And its not like they abandoned in the 2nd half when down, Morris got only 6 carries (6 carries!) in the first half. Its insane. They ran the ball 10 times in the first half vs. 13 passes, in the rain, when their D couldn't get off the field!

3 of those passes came on one drive inside the 2 minute warning. you can't really run in that situation; not if you're behind at least.

other than that it was a 50/50 split. they had no consistent success with either; sure, they had a big run here and there, and they had some good passes. but drops and getting stuffed trying to run just continued to stall drive after drive after drive.

the issue wasn't the balance of runs vs passes. it was general execution from everyone on the field not named robert.

I agree with a lot of what’s been said in this thread. As dynamic as Griffin is running the ball it’s clear to me that he can be the most deadly when he stays in the pocket and runs as a second option. Our running game is solid and his play action fakes are fantastic. LBs have to respect that and it should, in theory, free up some lanes for our receivers. Moss has taken advantage of it already but the other WRs haven’t.

I lost track of the final count of dropped balls last Sunday. Was it 11 or 12? It doesn’t matter because either number is just terrible and unacceptable for guys who play at the pro level. Even the best drop one once in a while but that many drops in one game is just stunning. To me that was the key.

If half of those catches are made how much does it change the game? Without looking at the down and distance where each pass was dropped I can say for certain that Morris would have gotten more touches and our questionable defense would have been off the field for a few more plays. It changes everything.

yeah the impact of the drops is not measurable, but just some of things that can change:
- general momentum/confidence
- defense getting a longer rest
- field position
- some of those drops were sure TD's. I think we counted 4 in total, but we may have messed that count up.

I know at least two of the drops were TD's, tshile, but they were back to back and on the drive we ended up scoring anyway so they don't really make a difference on the scoreboard.

If half of those catches are made how much does it change the game? Without looking at the down and distance where each pass was dropped I can say for certain that Morris would have gotten more touches and our questionable defense would have been off the field for a few more plays. It changes everything.

Maybe...or maybe they shouldn't be throwing 13 times vs. 10 rushes in the first half, in the rain. Morris also would have gotten more touches....if he got more touches.

If its raining and your two top targets are out due to injury, there is no excuse for the distribution they had. None!

Of course, if it worked, the strategy of throwing, when everybody just knew you'd be running, would be getting praise instead.

Losing SUCKS!!!

No matter WHAT the game plan.

Of course, if it worked, the strategy of throwing, when everybody just knew you'd be running, would be getting praise instead.

Losing SUCKS!!!

No matter WHAT the game plan.

Here it is, right here. No one would be gripping about the number of touches Morris had yesterday if we didn't have a half season worth of drops in one game.

Losing turns moll hills into mountains in a hurry.

REALLY don't want to get into this again, so all I'll say is that a couple of us have been saying we aren't running enough for weeks, even after the games we did win.

REALLY don't want to get into this again, so all I'll say is that a couple of us have been saying we aren't running enough for weeks, even after the games we did win.
Say it if we win a Super Bowl, throwing.

Until then, no cookies for you. ;)

Maybe...or maybe they shouldn't be throwing 13 times vs. 10 rushes in the first half, in the rain. Morris also would have gotten more touches....if he got more touches.

If its raining and your two top targets are out due to injury, there is no excuse for the distribution they had. None!

I see you point but I honestly don't care how they move the ball down field. I don't think it's asking too much for guys who call themselves professional wide receivers to catch footballs that hit them in the hands. The run wasn't exactly working for us in the first half anyway (except for the one nice 12 yard run) and once we got behind our options were limited.

If a play is called that should gain 20 yards and the line blocks well enough for the QB to have time to deliver the ball on target to an open WR and the WR drops the pass, the problem wasn't the play calling.

If a play is called that should gain 20 yards and the line blocks well enough for the QB to have time to deliver the ball on target to an open WR and the WR drops the pass, the problem wasn't the play calling.

On a rain soaked field?

On a rain soaked field?

It does not matter. In fact a rain soaked field can favor a receiver who knows where he's making the cut vs a corner that doesn't. I want us to run the ball when the situation and the defense dictates we should, otherwise we should throw the ball. The Steelers weren't having any problems throwing the ball. They only threw the ball one less time than we did.

It does not matter. In fact a rain soaked field can favor a receiver who knows where he's making the cut vs a corner that doesn't. I want us to run the ball when the situation and the defense dictates we should, otherwise we should throw the ball. The Steelers weren't having any problems throwing the ball. They only threw the ball one less time than we did.

What you're suggesting doesn't have anything to do with the ball hitting a player in the hands and that player dropping the ball. The advantage you were talking about is getting in position and that wasn't even the point you were trying to make with with the comment I quoted. Yes, that's an advantage for the receiver to be able to get position on a rain soaked field. But the wet ball will make it harder to catch. Therefore, take advantage of the #1 rushing attack in the NFL!!! This would have been the one game, in that slop in Pittsburgh, where we should have tried to run it down their throats! That is the play calling!

Their receivers were dropping balls too...more than usual. We never really tried to get a run game going in the first half. In the 1st two drives, Morris ran the ball 5 times, Young once and there were 8 pass plays. Now the 2nd drive was a long drive with a number of dropped passes, luckily we still scored a TD. But, you cannot tell me the run wasn't working if there were only 6 run plays out of 14. It was never given a chance. It's raining...POUND the ball!

we tried to run. they stopped us. we then quickly fell behind.

running the ball is great and all but it doesn't automatically solve all the problems.

Yes, that's an advantage for the receiver to be able to get position on a rain soaked field. But the wet ball will make it harder to catch. Therefore, take advantage of the #1 rushing attack in the NFL!!! This would have been the one game, in that slop in Pittsburgh, where we should have tried to run it down their throats! That is the play calling!

Their receivers were dropping balls too...more than usual. We never really tried to get a run game going in the first half. In the 1st two drives, Morris ran the ball 5 times, Young once and there were 8 pass plays. Now the 2nd drive was a long drive with a number of dropped passes, luckily we still scored a TD. But, you cannot tell me the run wasn't working if there were only 6 run plays out of 14. It was never given a chance. It's raining...POUND the ball!

Yep, this about sums it up. RUN the ROCK. POUND the football! 13 carries for Morris is unacceptable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.