• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Receiving corps numbers

Call me crazy. I didn't see many GMs this year sign guys on Day 1 of free agency that missed all or most of the 2011 season due to injury and were players that had yet to show they were consistent producers in the NFL.

I really do find it difficult to understand how anyone can be supportive of what Morgan has shown us to date vs. the cost to acquire him.

Again, the Giants and other teams have guys who were middle round picks on low money deals that are racking up numbers and helping their clubs win games.

Meanwhile, we have a 26 year old mid-career player that was behind a decidedly 'developing' WR in Leonard Hankerson when the season started.

I would have no problem with Morgan on the roster as a risk-reward player on a show-good contract.

But for guaranteed money regardless of performance?

Not based on his history.

Harbaugh didn't think he was so important to keep around in SF and he looks like a pretty sharp judge of talent.

As we have found out with our dealing with ex-Ravens players, Baltimore might not always make the best draft pick or free agent signing, but once the player is in their camp and they have a chance to see him play, they very rarely release a player that goes elsewhere and excels.

Ozzie Newsome knows his business.

Used to be the same case with Jimmy Johnson, Joe Gibbs, Bill Parcells.

You didn't get rich betting on signing their castoffs.

These guys only let guys go that couldn't play.

I think we needed mid-level young veteran depth on a team filled with rookies and 500 year-old Moss. That's what we paid for and that's largely what we got. It's not a move I would have made myself, but it's not something I look at now and think 'if only we hadn't done that everything would be great.' It was a marginal move and it's had marginal returns.

Again, Garcon right now is the big bust. He's the big money guy and he's not doing ANYTHING. It's not his fault or the team's fault. He's injured and it happens. But fault or no, not having our top guy on the field since the first half of week one is absolutely killing us.

Second on the list is losing Fred Davis. Not having our top two guys on the field against a team like the Steelers is going to start to hurt. A lot.

Morgan is a footnote compared to that.

I think we brought Morgan in to be a 45/500 guy in the 2nd WR spot who can block down field for our supposed #1 Garçon, our slot guy Moss, our RB Morris and our QB. He is an above average blocker for a WR who usually has sure hands (sometime before the 4th game I read a report that he was our most reliable receiver at something like an 84% completion percentage).

Great point, Neo - Morgan's blocking is being severely undervalued here. I don't think anyone expected Morgan to come in and catch 100 balls and 10TDs, even the Shanahans. But they did expect him to be a valuable asset in the blocking game, which he is.

That's where we differ. We signed Garcon who started a Super Bowl healthy and he got hurt making a play for the team.

I don't blame Shanahan for bad luck.

That contrasts with moves for guys like Brown that were hurt at the time of the trade and failed to make it back.

For $4.5M (corrected) I would expect Morgan to step up ahead of Moss and the pups and be that go-to guy for Griffin with Garcon hurt.

Instead he has not separated himself.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

That's where we differ. We signed Garcon who started a Super Bowl healthy and he got hurt making a play for the team.

I don't blame Shanahan for bad luck.

That contrasts with moves for guys like Brown that were hurt at the time of the trade and failed to make it back.

For $4.5M (corrected) I would expect Morgan to step up ahead of Moss and the pups and be that go-to guy for Griffin with Garcon hurt.

Instead he has not separated himself.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

I'm not 100% sold on the fact that he hurt himself playing for us though. Something fishy about his injury that may very well end up being yet another black eye for our trainers/medical evaluation team. He says that he was bothered by it earlier in the year... Just sux is all. Both Morgan and Garcon are young, I hold out hope... Brown? hahaha. Yeah I let that one go a while ago.

I do agree that the risks that have been taken with the health of free agents here have been mostly losses and we need cut that out of the playbook for a long while.

Well, if we can't find pro bowlers who are willing to play for $20 and a McDonald's Breakfast Combo, then WTF are we doing?

Goddamn! Losing is the biological parent of some absurd positions!

Who here wishes that the Brandon Lloyd we've watched the past few seasons was still here doing it for us?

Turns out Gibbs and Vinny were right, they just couldn't get it out of him for some reason.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.