• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Game Notes: Skins at Giants

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
October 21, 2012
MetLife Stadium – East Rutherford, N.J.

Game Notes: Washington Redskins at New York Giants

• The Redskins fell to 3-4 on the season with a 27-23 loss to the New York Giants in front of announced crowd of 81,352 people at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, N.J.
• Washington rushed for 248 yards, the most yards gained by the Redskins on the ground since rushing for 296 yards against the New York Jets on Nov. 4, 2007.
• The Redskins have now rushed for 1,244 yards this season, the most the team has ever rushed for in the first seven games of a season since the 1970 AFL-NFL merger. The previous high was 1,235, set by the 1984 team.
• The Redskins are now averaging 177.7 rushing yards per game, the highest average in the NFL.
• The Redskins amassed a season-high 480 yards of total offense, the team’s highest total since compiling 481 yards of offense vs. Jacksonville on Oct. 1, 2006.
• The Redskins have now posted 125 rushing yards or more in nine straight games, marking the first time the team has done so in nine consecutive games since accomplishing the feat in 10 consecutive games from Weeks 13-17 of the 1990 season and Weeks 1-5 of the 1991 season.
• The Redskins have now scored 201 points this season, marking the fourth time since the 1970 merger that the team has reached 200 points in its first seven games.
• Running back Alfred Morris rushed 22 times for a career-high 120 yards. Morris now has 658 rushing yards, the most in the NFC and one yard shy of Arian Foster for the league lead as of the conclusion of Sunday’s 1 p.m. games.
• The game was the third 100-yard rushing game of Morris’ career. The Redskins’ last nine 100-yard rushers have all been rookies.
• The Redskins have rushed for at least 100 yards in each of their last 13 games. The second-longest such streak in the league is three games by the St. Louis Rams.
• Quarterback Robert Griffin III completed 20-of-28 passes for 258 yards with two touchdowns. He added 89 rushing yards on nine carries.
• The Redskins opened the scoring with a 20-yard field goal by Kai Forbath. The field goal was the culmination of a 17-play, 88-yard drive by the Redskins that lasted 9:11.
• The 17-play scoring drive was the Redskins’ longest scoring drive since ending an 18-play scoring drive with a 33-yard John Hall field goal vs. Tampa Bay on Oct. 12, 2003, 144 regular season games ago.
• The drive marked the second time this season the Redskins have scored on an opening drive and the first time the team has done so since Billy Cundiff hit a 37-yard field goal on the first drive of the team’s season opener at New Orleans in Week 1.
• Forbath finished the game 3-for-3 on field goal attempts, converting from 20, 43 and 45 yards.
• Wide receiver Santana Moss finished the game with three receptions for 67 yards and two touchdowns.
• Moss scored his third touchdown of the season, scoring on a screen pass covering 26 yards in the second quarter.
• Griffin III and Moss combined for a 30-yard touchdown pass in the fourth quarter. The touchdown reception was the 60th in Moss’ career (including his time with the New York Jets), making him the 70th player in NFL history with 60 receiving touchdowns.
• The touchdown receptions were Moss’ 40th and 41st as a member of the Redskins. He remains seventh in career receiving touchdowns in team history.
• Moss now has eight career games with two or more receiving touchdowns. Sunday marked his first game with multiple receiving touchdowns since Dec. 19, 2010 at Dallas.
• The Redskins rushed for 146 yards in the first half, the team’s highest first-half total since posting 174 rushing yards in the first half vs. Tampa Bay on Dec. 12, 2010.
• Morris rushed 13 times for 94 yards in the first half, the most rushing yardage he’s had in a half in his career. His previous single-half best was 75, set in the second half at New Orleans in Week 1.
• Morris rushed 10 times for 46 yards in the first quarter, the second-most carries he’s had in a quarter this season behind his 11-carry fourth quarter at New Orleans in Week 1.
• Cornerback Josh Wilson intercepted Giants quarterback Eli Manning in the third quarter, the first interception of the season for Wilson. It was his first interception since intercepting Manning at MetLife Stadium in Week 15 last year.
• The Redskins now have an interception in eight consecutive games, dating back to last season. This marks the first time the Redskins have done so since intercepting a pass in nine consecutive games from Weeks 16-17 of the 1995 season through Weeks 1-8 of the 1996 season.
• The Redskins are the only team in the NFL with an interception in each of the first seven weeks of the 2012 season.
• Wide receiver Aldrick Robinson had his first career rushing attempt, carrying 14 yards for a first down in the third quarter.
• Tight end Logan Paulsen set career highs in receptions (four) and receiving yards (76). His 76 receiving yards were a team high.
• Paulsen had a season-long 23-yard catch in the third quarter.
• Fullback Darrel Young set career highs in rushes (five) and rushing yards (26).
• The Redskins were 3-for-3 on fourth down conversions and are now 6-for-6 on fourth downs this season.
• Linebacker Rob Jackson intercepted his second pass of the season and of his career, picking off Manning in the fourth quarter.
• The Redskins scored three points on a Forbath field goal following the interception, giving the Redskins 52 points off turnovers (including defensive touchdowns) this season. The Redskins totaled 43 points off turnovers in 16 games last season.
• Jackson and nose tackle Barry Cofield split a fourth quarter sack on Manning. The sack was the first on Manning allowed by the Giants in 16 quarters of play.
• Washington held the Giants to 64 rushing yards. The Redskins entered Sunday’s action as one of six NFL teams to have not allowed a 100-yard rusher this season.

There's a lot to be proud of in these numbers --

The scoring off of turnovers, the rushing yards, the opponents rushing yards...

RGIII is clearly a massive catalyst in keeping the Redskins relevant.

Who else could have converted that 4th and 10 with a scamper and completion? (Not to mention all of the other conversions on 4th down.)

However, the fact that we're in fourth down situations and having to go for it speaks to things not going right on the earlier downs (and earlier in the game), many of which are either directly or indirectly attributable to somethings that Griffin was responsible for :

-he was a little over-reliant on athleticism and got sacked a few times -- I think we're all willing to give him a pass given how many times he's turned a broken play into something outstanding -- i.e., while his confidence will sometime get us into trouble, his ability (combined with that same confidence) will often yield outstanding results -- but he needs to pick his spots a little better on when to go down and when to try and break a tackle (i.e., leading to a 2nd and 22)

-there were also some rookie mistakes by Griffin (and Eli, for that matter on that 4th quarter INT) -- the faulty hand-off to Morris (which was thankfully recovered and turned into a 7 yard gain), the late 3rd quarter INT straight to the Giants' safety and the other turnovers showed that Griffin, while extremely capable, still has room to grow and improve. And that's a good thing given how good he is already -- he's got headroom to grow into --

Redskins turnover ratio this year has to be better than it's been in a long time (perhaps until today) -- you can't turn the ball over 5 (five!!) times and expect to win, yet we were in it all the way. How many other teams can say that they could keep it close with the Super Bowl champs while giving them the ball 5 times?

I was pretty disappointed to lose this game, but the fact that we were in it unto the last against what many thought was a superior (with some room) Giants team is the real take away here --

We nearly beat the Super Bowl champs and not because we had the Giants' number and had flukey wins like last year -- we played them tough the entire game because we're a good team this year.

We did lose, but if we correct some of the easily avoidable mistakes from this week, then we will be in the thick of the wild card race and could make a run in the playoffs.

These are not the Same Old Redskins.

And that's a relief.

Yes Pravda, well said. We saw the present and the future of the NFC East today. If Giants fans tell you they aren't scared ****less for what the next ten years are going to bring, they're lying to ya.

In addition, Alfred Morris is on track for a 1,500 yd. season. The Redskins are the best running team in the NFL - very impressive. I bet the Browns would prefer to have our sixth rounder over their 3rd overall pick.

I believe we have a keeper in Kai Forbath. Just keeping the fingers crossed and hoping we have found our mainstay at the position for the next fifteen plus years.

The interception streak is pretty on paper only.

Logan Paulsen is a very underrated tight end. His role will grow - he is very dependable. Niles Paul has been a bust at that position thus far.

Last edited:
I think Kyle Shanahan called a great first half, but he abandoned what worked in the first half and called some head-scratchers again...one in particular that could have cost us big. After 2 successful runs, he sent Perry Fewell a message and told him we are running the play action here! ***sarcasm*** JPP had a clear shot at Griff and we're lucky it was only a sack. In chat I called it plain as day! If I can see that coming, you know a decent DC in the NFL can see it coming.

On the opening drive of the 2nd half we came out throwing. Why are we adjusting our game plan to the Giants defense. We were running it down their throats...Morris had 94 yards in the 1st half! Make the opposing defense adjust to you!

And why would you call the option on 3rd and 4 to the short side of the field with the pitch out to Niles Paul? If you're going to run it, run it to the open space where Griff has more space to work and run it with some speed! It is obvious Paul does not run a 4.4 anymore after putting on weight.

I know I am not a football mind, simply an obsessed fan who doesn't have privy to the coaches plan, but this is the type of play calling that frsutrates the hell out of me!

We came out throwing because they adjusted to the run. Its why Morris only had like 20 yards the second half.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Mike, the first play from scrimmage in the 2nd half was a pass play. Morris only had 8 carries in the 2nd half. How can the defense adjust to him if he isn't running as much? Kyle doesn't see Morris chew off big yardage and he starts to panic...or so it seems.

Because I watched the game...

Any reports on how/when Hankerson developed Chronic Vaginitus?

I was wondering the same thing. I've never seen someone fall so much to avoid contact. On one play, there was no one withing 10 yards and he fell down and waited for someone to touch him.

Turnovers killed us. All of them in Giants territory. Yes, I know Eli gave it right back on 2 of them, but it killed the momentum of good drives.

I was wondering the same thing. I've never seen someone fall so much to avoid contact. On one play, there was no one withing 10 yards and he fell down and waited for someone to touch him.
He alligator armed the long pass. No way he should not have caught that ball.
Then, the only reason we had to go for one of those 4th downs was because, instead of diving forward for a guaranteed 1st down, he curled up in the fetal position to avoid taking what looked to be marginal hit fro a smaller defender.

He had good numbers for the game, but the Vaginitus is a little concerning.

I think Kyle Shanahan called a great first half, but he abandoned what worked in the first half and called some head-scratchers again...one in particular that could have cost us big. After 2 successful runs, he sent Perry Fewell a message and told him we are running the play action here! ***sarcasm*** JPP had a clear shot at Griff and we're lucky it was only a sack. In chat I called it plain as day! If I can see that coming, you know a decent DC in the NFL can see it coming.

On the opening drive of the 2nd half we came out throwing. Why are we adjusting our game plan to the Giants defense. We were running it down their throats...Morris had 94 yards in the 1st half! Make the opposing defense adjust to you!

And why would you call the option on 3rd and 4 to the short side of the field with the pitch out to Niles Paul? If you're going to run it, run it to the open space where Griff has more space to work and run it with some speed! It is obvious Paul does not run a 4.4 anymore after putting on weight.

I know I am not a football mind, simply an obsessed fan who doesn't have privy to the coaches plan, but this is the type of play calling that frsutrates the hell out of me!

It almost seems like they are giving him a 'pitch count' so to speak, and once he approaches the 18-20 carry mark, its all pass. Very strange...I haven't had a chance to watch the game yet, but I'm sure reading your response that we would see the game the same way. I was at the Texans game, and when I looked up stats, I told my buddy "Look, Morris has almost 100 yards in the first half - bet Kyle decreases his carries in the second half" and that's exactly what he did! Just strange.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.