• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Game Notes: Skins vs. Vikes

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
October 14, 2012
FedExField – Landover, Md.

Game Notes: Washington Redskins vs. Minnesota Vikings

• The Washington Redskins snapped an eight-game home losing streak and improved to 3-3 this season with a 38-26 win against the Minnesota Vikings in front of an announced crowd of 78,476 people at FedExField.
• The Redskins extended their consecutive home sellout streak to an NFL-high 371, including postseason games. The team has sold out all 153 preseason, regular season and postseason games at FedExField.
• The win was Head Coach Mike Shanahan’s 168th overall victory as an NFL head coach, which ties him with Pro Football Hall of Famer Bud Grant for 14th all-time. It was Shanahan’s 160th regular season victory as an NFL head coach. Shanahan passed Grant in this category in Week 4.
• Quarterback Robert Griffin III completed 17-of-22 passes for 182 yards and a touchdown. He also tied a career high in rushing attempts (13) and set a career high with 138 rushing yards with two rushing touchdowns.
• Griffin III set a franchise record for single-game rushing yardage by a quarterback, surpassing his own record of 84 rushing yards from Week 2 at St. Louis.
• Griffin III now has 379 rushing yards on the season, establishing the team record for rushing yards by a quarterback in a single season. His total surpasses Harry Gilmer, who had 365 rushing yards in 1952 and saw action at both quarterback and left halfback in that season. The previous high by a Redskins player who played strictly quarterback was Joe Theismann, who rushed for 314 yards in 1984.
• Griffin III finished the evening with a 76-yard touchdown run. The run is the longest by a quarterback in team history and the longest by an NFL quarterback since Pittsburgh’s Kordell Stewart rushed for an 80-yard touchdown against Carolina on Dec. 22, 1996.
• Griffin III’s 76-yard run was the longest by any Redskin since Clinton Portis had a 78-yard run vs. the Kansas City Chiefs on Oct. 18, 2009.
• Griffin III now has at least one rushing touchdown and one passing touchdown in three games this season, making him only the second individual quarterback in team history since 1950 to do so three times in a season (Joe Theismann, 1980).
• Griffin III joins Michael Vick as the only NFL quarterbacks since 1970 to rush for at least 130 yards and two touchdowns in a game.
• The 178 points scored by the Redskins in six games this season is the highest scoring output by the Redskins since scoring 207 points from Weeks 2-8 of the 1999 season.
• The 38 points by the Redskins are the second-highest total of the Shanahan era, trailing only the 40 scored by the team in Week 1 at New Orleans.
• The Redskins rushed for 183 yards, marking the fifth time the Redskins have rushed for 175 yards or more under Shanahan. The Redskins have rushed for 996 yards in the last six games, the most prolific six-game rushing output for the Redskins in the Shanahan era.
• The Redskins have rushed for at least 125 yards in eight consecutive games for the first time since doing so across two seasons in Weeks 12-17 of the 2006 season and Weeks 1-2 of the 2007 season.
• The Redskins held the Vikings to 94 rushing yards. The Redskins have held opponents to less than 100 rushing yards in four straight games, marking the first time the team has done so in a single season since Weeks 1-5 of the 2007 season (the team had a bye in Week 4).
• Griffin III threw his second interception of the season in the first quarter, ending a streak of 104 consecutive pass attempts without an interception dating back to the second quarter of the Redskins’ Week 2 game at St. Louis.
• Kicker Kai Forbath converted his first career field goal attempt, hitting from 50 yards to conclude a 13-play, 48-yard scoring drive.
• The 13-play drive was the team’s longest scoring drive by number of plays this season.
• Running back Alfred Morris scored his fifth rushing touchdown of the season, scoring on a one-yard run in the second quarter to cap an 11-play, 90-yard scoring drive.
• The 90-yard scoring drive tied the team’s longest scoring drive by yardage this season (Week 3 vs. Cincinnati).
• On the Vikings’ first offensive play following the score, linebacker Lorenzo Alexander registered his first fumble recovery of the season.
• On the following play, Griffin III threw his fifth touchdown pass of the season, connecting with fullback Darrel Young for an eight-yard touchdown. The touchdown reception was Young’s second of his career and his first since Nov. 15, 2010 vs. Philadelphia.
• Alexander and defensive end Stephen Bowen combined for a sack of Minnesota quarterback Christian Ponder on the Redskins’ final defensive possession of the first half. Alexander added a fourth quarter sack and finished with a career-high 1.5 sacks.
• Griffin III scored for his fifth rushing touchdown of the season on a seven-yard run on the Redskins’ first drive of the second half. He added his sixth on the 76-yard run in the fourth quarter.
• With touchdowns by Griffin III and Morris, the Redskins became the first team in NFL history to have two rookies each rush for five touchdowns in the first six games of a season.
• Griffin III’s six rushing touchdowns are the most by a Redskins quarterback in a single season in team history. He was previously tied with Joe Theismann (1979) and Eddie LeBaron (1955).
• Safety Madieu Williams scored in the fourth quarter on a 24-yard interception return. It was Williams’ second career interception return for touchdown and his first as a Redskin. It was his first since scoring on a 51-yard interception return as a rookie for the Cincinnati Bengals on Oct. 31, 2004.
• The Redskins have now returned an interception for a touchdown in consecutive games for the first time since Weeks 7-8 of the 1994 season (Darrell Green and Andre Collins).
• Including interception returns for touchdowns by linebackers Ryan Kerrigan and Rob Jackson, the Redskins have three interception returns for touchdowns this season. The last time the Redskins had three interception return touchdowns in a season was 1999 (three). The Redskins now have four defensive touchdowns this season for the first time since 1999.
• The Redskins have intercepted a pass in seven consecutive games, dating back to last season, for the first time since having interceptions in seven straight games from Weeks 11-17 of the 2005 season.
• Including scores by Young and Williams, the Redskins now have 21 points on offensive possessions following turnovers as part of 49 points off turnovers (including four defensive touchdowns) this season. The Redskins totaled 43 points off turnovers in 16 games last season.
• The Redskins were +2 in turnover margin, marking the seventh consecutive game in which the Redskins have posted either an even or positive turnover margin. This marks the first time the Redskins have done so in seven consecutive games since a seven-game stretch across two seasons in Weeks 16-17 of the 2009 season and Weeks 1-8 of the 2010 season.
• The Redskins had four sacks, the team’s highest total since posting four sacks vs. Dallas on Nov. 20, 2011.
• Nose tackle Barry Cofield received his 100th career regular season start. This came one week after appearing in his 100th career regular season game in Week 5.
• Linebacker London Fletcher appeared in his 230th consecutive game, the longest active streak in the NFL.
• The victory gives the Redskins a 9-8 advantage in their regular season series against the Vikings. Including postseason games, the Redskins now have a 12-10 all-time record against Minnesota.

Breaking multiple NFL records and Franchise records on a weekly bassis, is now the norm, for our "completely green" rookie. Can anyone argue we paid too much for him now, or that he might be a bust ? 6 games into the season, and certainly all those critics are quieted.

But the records hes setting are only icing on the cake.....the cake is the fact, that he is so good, he literally can single-handedly win a game for a Skins team, where all the critics said that :

1) "the Skins offense doesn't have enough weapons and talent to surround him."
and
2) "the Skins defense is so horridly awful that it will keep him from winning games."

RG3 is so good that he trumps all that.

I still think we paid too much. Until there a Lombardi Trophies hoisted by this kid, he will not have earned his keep.

Do I now think that is a greater possibility than I did when we first acquired him? Absolutely, but it's still a high cost that has netted nothing in return but some great highlights and tremendous hope!

He cost what he cost. If we wanted him, we had to pay what it cost. If we didn't pay it, we wouldn't have him. Is there anyone who really would want to re-make that decision right now?

He cost what he cost. If we wanted him, we had to pay what it cost. If we didn't pay it, we wouldn't have him. Is there anyone who really would want to re-make that decision right now?

The question posed was where are the opponents of the cost for trading him. I am right here still saying after I have seen how special he is, if he never hoists the Lombardi it will all have been for nought in my opinion.

No, I would not want to go back. I am looking forward and the way he bounced back from the injury the week before shows what the kid has. Seeing him live, I am most impressed the way he was in the huddle. He had complete command of the game...he showed tremendous leadership! That is what impressed me 2nd most...after the 76 yard TD run of course.

If we come out of NYC and Pittsburgh with a split, which didn't look possible a couple of weeks ago, I think we could have a shot at the paloffs...a hope that was not likely in the past few years. I feel that Robert is definitely going to give us a shot at a Super Bowl, but this is a long term investment.

The question posed was where are the opponents of the cost for trading him. I am right here still saying after I have seen how special he is, if he never hoists the Lombardi it will all have been for nought in my opinion.

If this kid never hoists a Lombardi, it absolutely won't be because of anything he is lacking, or anything he has done wrong. He absolutely gives us the best chance of a Lombardi, over any other player, and I'm sure a lot of people, including the Skins' front office have that same conviction. If he doesn't hoist a Lombardi, it won't be because we made the wrong pick, or paid too much, it will be because some other person, or persons, within the organization, and/or the team roster did some thing(s) disastrously wrong.

If 10 years from now, we don't win a Lombardi, I don't believe you'll be able to look back, and say in truth, "Well, if we would have used those picks differently, we would have had a better chance at a ring". That's because, whatever boneheaded events in D.C. that may happen to keep us from a title WITH RG3, would have been the kind of things that kept us from that same title, if we used the picks on other players.

He gives us the best chance to win it all. And for that reason, we made the choice to pick him, and to pay for him. And for that reason, he is worth everything we paid for him, with or without a trophy. So, I personally don't need to wait for that to happen to assure myself of the value of the pick.

Last edited:
I don't agree with you Fear. All the not his fault aside, he was brought in here to win Super Bowls, that is why we paid what we did for him. That is the bottom line. The argument that it won't be his fault is moot, I am not saying it would be/won't be his "fault".

I am still saying the same thing I always have. We paid a hefty price for him, if he never hoists a Lombardi trophy we will have paid too much for him. The Giants paid a hefty price for Eli and that investment has paid off. After 6 games, it looks like we may get the return on investment we are looking for, but not yet.

Like I said in the original reply to you calling us out is that what I see now makes me feel much more confident he can win a Super Bowl or 2 for us. Yes, we need more pieces and he can't do it alone, but the argument I kept hearing when I was disappointed by the move was that this is our only chance to win a Super Bowl in this league. Well...that is the barometer. Super Bowl or bust baby!

Hmmm...after digesting the goodies Boone presented-thank you, BTW, Boone for doing this it's a neat feature you provide-I got to wondering...

Minnesota punched us in the mouth in the first quarter, we came back and took a halftime lead, extended that to a double-digit lead by the end of the third quarter and won by a double-digit lead.

I wondered 'When as the last time that happened?"

I dug around in Pro Football reference and found out.

2003, December 7th against the Giants. The Giants had a 7-3 lead after the first quarter on a Dorsey Levens TD after the Skins John Hall FG, the Skins countered with a Tim Hasselbeck (remember him?!?) pass to Darnerian McCants and opened it up to a 10 point lead in the third after a Hasselbeck TD pass to Rod Gardner and Hall closed it out for a 13 point win with his second FG.

Then I got to wondering, when was the last time we got punched in the mouth in the first quarter, had the lead by halftime, extended it to double digits after three quarters and still won the damn game by any margin?

You ready?

Same game.

This may seem to be a bit of trivia-but being a Redskins fan and history buff I found it interesting. Perhaps, no...definitely, most important,as has been mentioned elsewhere, I'm now able to watch a game and see during the ebb and flow as the other team mounts an attempted second-half comeback and not have quite the same level of "give-upitis" that I've been sadly used to.

Quite refreshing, really.

RG3 may or may not get the team a Superbowl trophy. He's already given us fans hope. That's saying a lot for some of us long time suffering fans. If some one told me that any Qb could be added to our roster playing behind this Oline and make a huge difference like we've seen I would have thought them wishful dreamers.
I'm still just hopeful that the team catches fire and makes a decent playoff push. There are too many holes to expect a bunch more.
Next season? If the Skins can keep him healthy who knows? With a QB like Griffin maybe a nice shutdown corner and a few upgrades can get this team to where it needs to be. Seriously what team doesn't have holes? Some have fewer than others but a couple of weeks of bad luck(injury-wise) can decimate any team standing today.

Elephant - you are being silly.

No rookie is going to prove he was worth all that compensation in 6 games or 16 games.

Not on a team with this many holes.

The Redskins WITH Griffin are still going to have to make 15-20 other personnel moves over the next 1-2 years for this team to get to the level where Griffin has that chance to perform on the sports biggest stage.

But it's this way with almost every one of these big moves for a premium talent.

The Broncos traded a boatload of picks and players to the Colts for the rights to John Elway but it was 3 or 4 years before the Broncos were contenders and another 10 years before he was a champion.

The return on Eli Manning took 4 years to realize. Between 2004 and 2007 there were questions about whether Manning was going to make it to become a top echelon passer on a consistent basis.

You have to give it time.

But give Griffin a break. He has already turned what easily could have been a 1-5 team withouth him into a 3-3 team with him as he qb.

And he's doing all this without his #1 wide receiver and with an offensive line that is in terms of pass protection one of the most challenged in the NFL.

I am not expecting him to give us a return on investment in 6 games, so why is everybody thinking the investment has paid off after six games? I believe I have specifically repeated that it will take time! I am not saying we are going to win a Super Bowl this year! That is foolish. I do not even know how you deducted that from what I said.

I clearly said that until Griff hoists the Lombardi, the investment made will not be worth it. I never said it had to be this year. It's a long term investment and I stated that!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.