• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Skins Quotes 10/12: M. Shanahan

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
October 12, 2012
Redskins Park

Executive Vice President/Head Coach Mike Shanahan

On how they will list quarterback Robert Griffin III’s status:
“I’m not sure what we will list him as, but we’ll let you guys know. If he passes his tests and we don’t see any symptoms then it looks like he’ll be ready to go.”

On if Griffin III practiced fully today:
“Yeah, full practice today.”

On wide receiver Pierre Garçon’s foot injury:
“I think it’s lingering for sure. It was enough where he didn’t take a lot of reps today.”

On if Garçon practiced less today than yesterday:
“Yes. Wednesday he had full practice and yesterday he had full practice. Today, he’s questionable.”

On what could help Garçon’s injury:
“I don’t know what to tell you. It’s painful, that’s why we set him out. It’s tender and it’s still sore, but it’s a pain issue. [He’s] not sore enough to where he can’t push off all the time, so that’s why we listed him as questionable.”

On if he considered ruling Griffin III out despite doctors clearing him:
“That’s what we have doctors for. Doctors make those decisions, we don’t. If Robert feels like he’s fine, he’s had no side-effects, he wants to play, he feels good to play…If Robert were to say, “Hey, you know what? I have a headache,” of course we would do that. That’s why we run all these tests. But why would you not let somebody play if he’s felt good right at the end of the game [and] every day until now? But if he has these tests after practice today and all of sudden he’s not feeling good or something’s wrong, obviously we’re not going to take the chance.”

I don't have the patience required to deal with the media.
They ask the exact same questions every single day. If I was Shanahan I would have strangled one by now... :)

I don't have the patience required to deal with the media.
They ask the exact same questions every single day. If I was Shanahan I would have strangled one by now... :)

And stupid ones too boot....

On if he considered ruling Griffin III out despite doctors clearing him:

One of the cool things about being a fan in press conferences and the lockerroom was being able to ask 'non-traditional' questions. I got some great answers over the years. I asked Joe Gibbs the best question of them all at the first mini-camp after he came back - he spoke for 5 minutes in response.

Then again - Chris Cooley basically called me a dumbass when I asked him a roster question once. Although it just made me love him more :)

Advantage I had was, it wasn't my job, so I didn't have to worry about getting on the coaching staff or a player's **** list. There's definitely that dynamic going on with the Redskins beat guys/gals. They have 2 jobs - promote a relationship, and get interviews.

How do you get into the press conferences? Pardon my ignorance...

Pretty sure Boone was part of the original group that was given access when ExtremeSkins was "assimilated" by the Redskins.

Yep. When Extremeskins became team property, rather than have them 'purchase' the site, they agreed to fly us in for games, put us up in the team hotel, and give us on the field access and press box/lockerroom access. I did a lot of the coverage for the first 3 years.

Ah ok. I figured it was one thing like that. Part of me always wanted to be a beat reporter. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.