• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Oh Billy.

"Uh...sorry 'bout all the pressure, Billy..but great game winner there."

"Huh?..Yeah, you were havin' kind of a bad day out there for a while weren't ya...I mean you were 5 for 6 'til yesterday."

"Nah, don't sweat it...stuff happens, I guess...even some field goal kickers...you've had 'em before haven't ya?"

"Remember last season against Seattle, and the Browns? You went 1 for 3 in both of them games, remember?"

"Yeah, stuff like that happens, sometimes...I guess...you saved your a$$ makin' that last one...remember what happened in Baltimore"

"Folks are talkin' bout missin' Gano now, y'know"

"Huh? He's just another field goal kicker subject to havin' bad days too?"

"Misses when it woulda helped?"

"Whaddya mean, them was blocked field goals he couldn't help that!"

"What bad day? He was 3 for 5 against Miami? well, that one was out of hand anyway...wouldn't have helped. And that's still 60 percent."

"Oh you're talkin 'bout his bad day agin' them Cowbums, 1 for 3 in a three point loss.. and that miss in OT.

"Well, allright...I'll give ya that one...comin' through in the clutch stuff...yeah"

"Still, you missed some you shoulda made, dude"

"Well, it's big of you to own up to havin' a crappy day but a couple more would've really helped, man."

"Whaddya mean 50+ yards ain't your best skill, heck, any decent field goal kicker oughta be able do that."

"So what you went 1 for 6 last season on them long ones."

"Yeah, I know you've tried 19 of 'em at 50 plus and only hit five in your career, that's no excuse."

"Yeah, well, you got the win for us...you owe a big thank you to RG3 y'know for that last drive...he's sumthin' ain't he?"

"Oh, you do, an' the rest of the guys for havin' confidence in you on that last one?..well, that's good"

"Well, I got one more you ought to add- ya oughta thank us ya didn't have any of 'em blocked"

"So, good job on that last one, Billy...just watch yourself out there, ok? No more "bad days", y'hear?"

(Numbers courtesy of the NFL Stats, and Pro-Football Reference.)

Let's be clear - Cundiff's problem from 40+ is not his leg, its accuracy. Gano's problem was accuracy from all over the field.

Is Cundiff's problem from 50+ power or accuracy? My understanding is it is power, but I don't know a whole lot about Cundiff, just what I hear other people say.

He's just not that accurate, but he's got a big leg. Very few of his missed kicks have been short, they've been WIIIIIIIIIIIIIDE right or left.

Let's be clear - Cundiff's problem from 40+ is not his leg, its accuracy. Gano's problem was accuracy from all over the field.

Ironically, of his 3 misses yesterday, the most accurate was by far, the super-long 57 yard attempt. That one actually looked like it was going to make it. He nailed it dead center. It was so close. But came up just short. On the other hand, the 2 shorter ones, were WIDE

The thing I will never understand is how he can put it out of the EZ on kickoffs which is about 75 yards, but he can't kick a 60 yard FG?

Boone,

You and your nipples. I saw the title of this thread and immediately thought of this:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJR8ZNAnRoM[/media]

You in the Jim Carrey role, and Billy Cundiff in the Matthew Broderick role.

The thing I will never understand is how he can put it out of the EZ on kickoffs which is about 75 yards, but he can't kick a 60 yard FG?

Because on kickoffs they get a 10 yard run up, with no pressure, noone's trying to block it, and the goal is to land it somewhere between the sidelines so it's not a kick out of bounds not between the two goal posts for points which are much narrower.

It's just a different kick in every single way.

I bet you could kick further off a tee than you could with a holder and blockers, trying to score points :)

Not to mention the goal posts are off the ground, where as his kickoffs land at the foot of the end of the endzone. I'm not sure what the actually physics are on that, but I bet he'd have to move up 5-10 yards to get it go through the uprights consistently and that doesn't even include the impact of trying to accurately kick it would have.

The only thing the two kicks have in common is that it involves a football and someone kicking it ;)

It's also about trajectory. With a line there trying to block, the kicker has to get it up much faster.

It's also about trajectory. With a line there trying to block, the kicker has to get it up much faster.
Exactly. Thats why he gets 3 steps, instead of a 10 yard sprint. If he were to take a 10 yard run up it'd get blocked very single time. Hell, they might tackle the holder before the kicker even gets close :)

I bet you could kick further off a tee than you could with a holder and blockers, trying to score points :)

Neil rackers kicked a 63 yard FG for the 49er's in the 1st game of the season but struggles to get it out of the EZ. How do you explain that?

If he can kick the ball 75 yards in the air, he should be able to make a 57 yard FG. There is not an 18 yard variation between kick offs and FG's.

Neil rackers kicked a 63 yard FG for the 49er's in the 1st game of the season but struggles to get it out of the EZ. How do you explain that?

If he can kick the ball 75 yards in the air, he should be able to make a 57 yard FG. There is not an 18 yard variation between kick offs and FG's.

honestly I don't know how to explain Rackers situation.

you don't think the run up, the blocking, the difference between hitting at the end of the endzone and trying to get it over the cross bar, and the difference between trying to accurately place it between the sidelines and accurately place it between the goalposts could more than make up for the difference in distance?

brian mitchell was on the radio today talking about how different kickers like the ball held differently. he used to hold I guess, and he said one guy wanted it straight up and down, another wanted it leaning forward, another wanted it leaning back. maybe rackers has his holder hold the ball in a way he can't place it on the tee which allows him to get more boost behind it? maybe he just sucks at kick offs?

I'm just speculating here. I have no idea. I just think it's unreasonable to expect a kicker to have anywhere near the same distance off a tee with no linemen and a runup that he has with a holder and linemen in front of him jumping in the air with their arms up.

edit: if you're asking me why an NFL kicker can't kick a ball 55 yards reliably in field goal formation (i'm not even talking about accuracy, just distance) then i'm with you :)

Yes, I do believe there is a difference. As a former kicker, I understand that completely, but an almost 20 yard variation is baffling to me. When I was kicking it was only about 10 yards at most.

Well then you have more insight into than me, I was never a kicker. I mean I was at peewee league but we only did kickoffs we never did field goals :)

Thatswhatshesaid?

EDIT: forgot you were a kicker.

As far as trajectory is concerned, that's an interesting problem. There are tons of papers on the physics of baseballs, I wonder how many there are on footballs?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.