• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

WPC: Give the people what they want

Pappas

http://www.warpathconfidential.com/?p=1444

Give the people what they want

By John Pappas
Warpath Confidential Editor

It’s been a tough 17 years for fans of the Washington Redskins.

After two decades of being relevant in the NFL, the Redskins have fallen into the mire of mediocrity. Since 1993, Washington has gone 113-145-1. Sure, there has been three playoff runs, and two playoff victories. But it has been a long time since the team was regarded as a powerhouse in the league.

The period between 1971 and early 1992 were glorious times to be a fan of this team. The team played in 27 playoff games. They won five division titles, five conference championships, appeared in five Super Bowls, and won three world titles.

In those days, it was remarkable when the Redskins did not make the playoffs, especially during the 1980s. It seemed that every year the NFC East would be the best division in football and every year, Washington had a better-than-average shot at winning the division.

But those days are long gone. They have become the reminiscence of fathers who tell their sons what it was like to root for one of the best teams in the league. A great of number of today’s fans were too young, or not born then. They may have observed those times as children, but they did not share the collective experience of fans who follow every game and bit of news on their team, who then get to see the team achieve greatness.

And so the stories of victory and tales of glory are losing their charm for this generation of fans. The perennial optimism of the older fans means little to them. They can no longer rest on recent history, and calling to mind the three Super Bowl championships has little effect on rival fans from teams like the Giants, who won the Super Bowl in 2007, or the Eagles, who appeared in the NFC Championship last year, or Dallas, who can claim five world titles.

Click the link to read the entire article...

Last edited by a moderator:
Great column, John.

And it's true: one great win could lift the spirits of the fan base (even if only for a week).

Sadly, how many 'Skins fans believe this team has a great win in them?

I guess we're still waiting for that game ...

Good interview on Comcast after the game. As a long time Skins fan I will never stop being a fan. However this has been one of the most frustrating seasons can remember.

Good interview on Comcast after the game. As a long time Skins fan I will never stop being a fan. However this has been one of the most frustrating seasons can remember.

Thanks guy.

Yesterday started bad for me, but I liked the explosive plays in the second half. What I cannot adibe are the drudgery of ineffective offense and a defense that cannot get off the field.

Give the fans what they want and deserve. How about a REAL friggin GM. That would make me happy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.