• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

BTB: Redskins FG Protection Team Doesn't Look Improved

McD5

The Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Alma Mater
Florida State
http://bloggingthebeast.com/2012/08...ed-fgpats-last-year-and-doesnt-look-improved/

In 2011, there were 35 blocked FG’s or PAT’s in the entire league.* The Redskins accounted for 6 of them. *In other words, they were on the wrong end of 17% of the NFL’s blocked FG’s/PAT’s last year.* In fact, one in every 8.2 FG attempts were blocked!* That is absolutely embarrassing.

I can’t help but feel bad for Graham Gano.* If you were to look up his stats out of context, they’d say he was 31 of 41, or a paltry 75.6%, when in reality, it was more like 31 of 36, for a much more respectable 86.1%.* And now he has competition this year in the form of Neil Rackers.

Read link for more.

He's right, it doesn't look fixed. IMO this is what you get when you turn the roster over like we have. Lots of youth, a suspect ST coach and a lot of turnover is my best guess.

I'm more worried about the middle of our OL getting blown up and the middle of our DL not getting enough push. Oh wait...

He's a suspect ST coach specifically because things like this don't get fixed.

EVERY team faces turnover in ST under the salary cap from season to season, that's no excuse.

A quality ST coach could take the players we have here and mold a FG team that is successful.

Last year when Trent Williams went out we had snaps on FGs where two guys went to block the SAME guy and left another rusher free to the inside.

This is not a talent issue but a coaching issue.

No disagreement here. I simply can't believe that Danny Smith is the best ST coach available.

Between assistants on other NFL teams, and every college staff in the country, certainly there is someone else we can take a look at.

Even if Dammy Smith stays, there must be someone who can come in and help him.

Yeah I just don't get that he's not been accountable for the poor aspects of our special teams. I mean yay, Banks scored a TD and he's hugging him like its saving HIS job and cool he chews alotta gum what else? Seriously? We've been a good kick/punt and coverage team but our field goals, our returns, the penalties and the timing of these miscues leave me baffled as to how he is still here. I wanna like the guy but what has he done?

http://bloggingthebeast.com/2012/08...ed-fgpats-last-year-and-doesnt-look-improved/

In 2011, there were 35 blocked FG’s or PAT’s in the entire league.* The Redskins accounted for 6 of them. *In other words, they were on the wrong end of 17% of the NFL’s blocked FG’s/PAT’s last year.* In fact, one in every 8.2 FG attempts were blocked!* That is absolutely embarrassing.

I can’t help but feel bad for Graham Gano.* If you were to look up his stats out of context, they’d say he was 31 of 41, or a paltry 75.6%, when in reality, it was more like 31 of 36, for a much more respectable 86.1%.* And now he has competition this year in the form of Neil Rackers.

Read link for more.
players cant be blamed for poor performance as they have many ups and downs performance gets affected many time the main reason for the ill performance is poor coaching... redskins must rather look their coaching staffs replacement.............not the players

I have wondered on and off for years about Smith but I keep coming back to the fact that Gibbs hired him and Shanahan continues to keep him. One of these men is in the Hall of Fame and the other is likely to be enshrined 5 years after he leaves coaching. Neither man has ever showed any hesitation in replacing coaches who were not cutting it their estimation. This leaves me to conclude that we are back in Jim Mora territory where we think we know but...

Danny Smith is the worst; I've been campaigning for him to be fired for 3 years now. He is TURRIBLE.

In your opinion...

In your opinion...

Eh...our special teams have been a bane for 4 years now. Even when we HAVE had a bright spot like Banks (pre-injury) returning for TDs, undisciplined return teams have caused them to be called back b/c of penalty.

Proof is in the pudding, Neo. Mental errors are a sign of bad coaching.

Or maybe just a sign that this team isn't that good, Lanky. Special Teams are dependent on depth, most often young depth, as many starters on offense and defense don't play on the return and coverage teams, and our Redskins just have not had quality depth in a long time. We are just now starting to build that young depth, those guys who burn to move up the pecking order and be every down players.

No matter how patient and skilled the coach, you cannot teach a rock to act like a leaf.

I'm not trying to make excuses for Danny Smith either. I don't know the guy and I might know less about special teams than I do offense or defense (which is saying something as I am pretty ignorant of those aspects too) but I have read too many places how highly thought of he is around the league to think our issues are just with him. I also have a great deal of trust in Gibbs when it comes to hiring coaches. I have a bit less trust with Shanahan (Bob Slowick anyone?) but he is still a likely Hall of Fame coach and you don't get there by picking many lemons to put on your staff. You really don't get there by keeping the lemons around if you do pick them.

Norv Turner keeps getting hired and has "respect around the league" as well. Just saying! :p

Didn't Smith come over from Buffalo with Greg(g)? Wasn't Dan Snyder gonna hire Greg(g) even before the return of the King? I mean its only 8 yrs ago but that's how I remember it.

I'm not sure Smith is respected so much for being some sort of Xs and Os genius or a special teams pioneer. I think the respect, whatever that respect may be, comes from his connection with the players.

The special teams coach, on any team, is arguably 2nd to the head coach in terms of their impact. Because unlike position coaches, even coordinators, they are not dealing with specific groups of players. You've got veterans, rookies, offensive players, defensive players, etc all working with special teams. And many of them are either guys trying to break into the league, or hold on so there's a lot of insecurity involved, and fragile egos.

So I think it takes a special kind of person to coach special teams.

Norv Turner keeps getting hired and has "respect around the league" as well. Just saying! :p

Yeah and as an Offensive Coordinator that respect is well earned. The fact that some GMs can't get that figured out and keep hiring him to be a Head Coach shouldn't detract from how good he is at his true calling or the respect he has earned at it.

the proof is in the pudding. how good are the ST here year over year?

are they consistently good or excellent so the long-term retention of the coach is warranted?

when you compare STs around the NFL there are those that ARE consistently excellent.

why can't we hire away one of these coaches when there is a regime change?

Eh...our special teams have been a bane for 4 years now. Even when we HAVE had a bright spot like Banks (pre-injury) returning for TDs, undisciplined return teams have caused them to be called back b/c of penalty.

Proof is in the pudding, Neo. Mental errors are a sign of bad coaching.

are they consistently good or excellent so the long-term retention of the coach is warranted?

when you compare STs around the NFL there are those that ARE consistently excellent.

Is there an echo in here? :tongue2:

Who does Smith have pictures of?
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Didn't we try to get Bobby April a couple of years back?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.