• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

A couple of defensive concerns

servumtuum

The Owner's Favorite
Reaction score
Alma Mater
Indiana
A couple of things I saw last night, well actually there were more than a couple, furrowed my brow a bit more than I liked watching our defense.

Sacks. We sacked our old friend Jason Campbell three times, probably not too surprising, but we couldn't get anywhere near Cutler who seemed to have forever to make decisions and make plays.

Our secondary looked, well to be kind, spotty at best and almost unwatchable at their worst. Tall WRs are going to be a serious problem from what I saw as well.

Alshon Jeffery-3 targets, 3 receptions at 20.7 yards per reception

Evan Rodroguez-3 targets, 3 receptions at16.3 yards per reception

I don't even want to talk about Brandon "Big Play" Marshall.

Yuck.

I'm sorry to sound so negative but I was honestly hoping for better. Maybe things will look better in the next two preseason games-I hope so.

Getting to Cutler was going to be severely hampered without the attention Rak garners. Their O could key in on Kerrigan, which it appeared to me is exactly what they did. Also, we need to remember that London sat this one out. Perhaps, just perhaps, Riley needs another year of learning at the master's knee before he is ready to run a defense? Hard to say for sure, but it merits consideration.

The secondary is concerning, no doubt. Ced Griffin is no impressive. I have hopes for Wilson, but you're right about the tall receivers.

I keep telling myself two things: it's only preseason, and we weren't at full strength for most of the first half.

Haven't watched this game yet, but from what I read on twitter, Madieu Williams has looked good. Everyone else in the secondary? :thbtbtbtbbbtttbbtt:
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Our secondary it seemed thought this was practice for the Bears offense, it was a hideous display of football back there.

I can't argue any of your observations. I think one thing we sometimes forget is that, unlike a real game where the goal is always to dominate the opponent and win, the coaches use these preseason games to put players in positions so they can assess how they react. That can even mean putting players into positions where we know they may struggle or be seriously challenged. These games are designed to get players we know will be on the roster used to live action, but probably more important, they are designed to determine which guys are going to be Redskins courtesy of the last 3-5 roster spots that may still be in question.

I think this is a huge factor in explaining (beyond 'Its the preseason!') why success or failure in the preseason has almost no correlation with how teams, or offenses, defenses, and special teams units will perform during the regular season.

I think our defence is seriously overrrated, the holes in the secondary will be the achilles heel and should have been filled 3 seasons ago when we knew that a certain looks like tarzan and should have been used at linebacker was playing the deep cover for us lol

I can't argue any of your observations. I think one thing we sometimes forget is that, unlike a real game where the goal is always to dominate the opponent and win, the coaches use these preseason games to put players in positions so they can assess how they react. That can even mean putting players into positions where we know they may struggle or be seriously challenged. These games are designed to get players we know will be on the roster used to live action, but probably more important, they are designed to determine which guys are going to be Redskins courtesy of the last 3-5 roster spots that may still be in question.

I think this is a huge factor in explaining (beyond 'Its the preseason!') why success or failure in the preseason has almost no correlation with how teams, or offenses, defenses, and special teams units will perform during the regular season.

This!

What Boone said right here can't be said enough in August. We are not only NOT scheming for a specific team, we might even be scheming against our own players, putting them in bad situations intentionally just to see how they handle it.

Frankly, I almost wish preseason were played behind a curtain and under a cone of silence so we fans had zero access to it. We know even less about what we are watching now then we will in 3 weeks when the games count.

Not to go off-topic, but I'm more concerned about the way the OL played last night. RG3 will have a tough time progressing if he doesn't have a few seconds to get the ball off every now and then.

First drive cutler didn't take longer than 2.5 seconds to get rid of the ball. Quick passes were clearly the game plan. This is on our secondary, not the d line pressure.

pre season means exactly nothing, i dont even watch it most of the time
Not even interested in seeing the new blood battling for their football lives? I think some of the most entertaining football can be played by the guys battling their hearts out to make the squad. Look at Cousins, Paul, Briscoe and Paulsen the other night. Paulsen could be the odd man out and he is having a very good pre-season. Actually, Crawford has been one of my favorite players to watch this year...mostly because he could help put Banks out of a job.

pre season means exactly nothing, i dont even watch it most of the time

I thought you were a football expert? Preseason means everything for player evaluation. Even a guy with a very strong camp will get cut if he messes up in the preseason games. I'm very surprised by this statement from you.

The Redskins defense is terrible?

I didn't get the memo where the Redskins #13 defense from last year (which should be improved with offseason additions and picks) was suddenly down there with the #32 NE Patriots and the #31 Cleveland Browns.

The Redskins have a good front seven, a nice blend of youth and experience. Decent depth as well.

I think there is enough talent at safety to get the job done - Jackson and Meriweather have the skills to man the positions - even their ex-coaches admit that. It's whether they can limit their off the field issues. Madieu Williams is a nice option as an 8 year vet to turn to in case of injuries or poor play.

The problem on defense is at cornerback. But the problem is a relative one. Do the Redskins have a true #1 corner? No, but neither does Green Bay, New England, New Orleans, Detroit, etc.

What this team has is a solid #2 in Josh Wilson, an overrated #2 in DeAngelo Hall who takes too many ill-time chances to make plays and a group of younger players I see as depth only, perhaps with the exception of Richard Crawford.

Crawford may be able to elevate himself as a rookie #7 pick by the end of the year into a #3 or #4 corner that plays regularly.

I expect the Redskins to look for DB in the next draft and offseason.

And the unit in 2012 will need some protection from a good rush and scheme by Haslett.

But it's not that different from the challenge a number of good teams have in re the secondary.

the pre season is overrated when it comes to evaluation, how a guy plays against guys who wont even make the team means less than nothing, so maybe about a quarter of each game is worth watching. dominating against scrubs means nothing.

I used to put much more stock into the pre season, now I know better.

our defence is about the same as it was before we blew it up, pretty sad considering the resources that were put into it AFTER we blew it up, so yeah, thats a fail. unless we see marked improvement this year its accurate to say the move to a 3-4 was a fail.I dont see that with this secondary to be honest.

Our Offence has potential but is very thin and we still have a weak Oline, given the last couple "rebuilding" years, thats sort of sad too. I dont see us being a huge amount better, but at least RG3 gives us some hope.

Actually, I was watching Chase this past weekend, thinking how much I wanted to keep him because he played so well. He's backup to Drew Brees.

yeah but the point is, after how well he played in the preseason shouldnt he be starting somewhere? lol

anyway todays game is another case in point, I am cheering for that kid at RB and he has looked solid against the colts in the preseason.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.