• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

You're Robert Griffin...

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
You wake up Sunday morning, bruised and sore after a 5/8 for 49 yard performance which mostly consisted of you running for your life. Meanwhile, golden boy competitor Kirk Cousins throws for 3 second half TDs, 18/23 for 264 yards while nearly bringing the Skins back to an improbable comeback win.

How's that sit with you if you're Robert Griffin III?

I know. Our OL is a patchwork of off-brand parts, pasted together with popsicle sticks and duct tape. I get it. Griffin is facing bonafide NFL starters with mean intent. Cousins is facing guys who may be selling insurance this time next month. We all get it.

Still...it makes a guy wonder...

When the Redskins drafted blue-eyed frat boy Cousins in the 4th round, most Redskins fans railed at the moon. Stop the insanity (!) was the cry heard throughout the land. It was a 'blown pick', stupidity harking back to ol' bug eyes and the Snyderrato regime. I personally did something I rarely do, which was deciding to reserve judgment - since history has shown no one really knows whether a QB pick, regardless of round, is disastrous or pure genius for years to come. What I rejected outright was that the pick of Cousins might somehow sabotage or undermine RG3's position as the annoited starter. I thought those that argued the Redskins had just created an unnecessary QB controversy sounded just plain silly, considering it took 3 first rounders to acquire the guy.

When you pay that kind of a price for a young QB - he's your starter. You could draft Jesus Christ as his backup and it wouldn't change that.

Still - tonight it crossed my mind - the thought... Not that a second straight impressive performance by Kirk Cousins means a thing in the grand scheme of things to come. But the first little twinges of 'what if' crossed my mind seeing Cousins impressive performance and 2nd half heroics. What if Griffin struggles this year...not the 'I'm a rookie QB' struggling kind of struggles, but the 'I may not have what it takes to make it as an NFL starter' kind of struggling?

I don't think it's likely. Griffin has more raw talent than we've seen under center in DC in a long time - maybe ever. By all appearances, he's got the right stuff between the ears, confidence in spades, and that rare quality we call 'character'. I expect him to thrive.

But I wonder what'll be going through his mind on Sunday morning as he reads about the impressive job his supposedly far inferior competitor Cousins did on clean up duty Saturday night?

If Cousins continues to impress, Griffin may start to feel pressure from a place no one rationally would have expected it to come from - from behind him on the roster. And will that pressure result in diamonds, or jitters for RG3?

It's going to be interesting to watch Griffin's home debut against the Colts. I expect his best performance to date. If we see something closer to what we saw tonight, those barely perceptible whispers about that other new QB in DC may become audible.

I think this was good for RG3. He now sees his mistakes and hopefully will work even harder.

I think the one that wakes up tomorrow with the "wtf" moment won't have any sore muscles. Instead he is on way back with a spotless uniform. Sexy Rexy has to be concerned he may have been passed.

I'm not implying I think Cousins is a better QB or will even prove to have a long-term career in the NFL Fear, or that we really know anything about either Griffin or Cousins after 2 pre-season games. I'm just stacking up the supreme confidence we all have in Griffin (and that he clearly has in his own abilities) against the results we've seen so far. And wondering what the impact of getting clearly 'outshone' on the field by a guy whose supposed to be leap years behind you in talent and ability is. I'm hoping it motivates Griffin even further.

Mark me down in the "this'll be good for Griffin" collumn too. Last week, was too easy. Last week, he was Superman. Hit every receiver pefectly. Uniform untouched. A false impression.

This week, he faced adversity and made some mistakes. Better that it happens in the preseason when the mistakes don't matter. Today, the games were harder than practice. That's good for him to know. He can adjust.

His ego doesn't seem fragile enough that he'll look at Cousins and worry. In fact, I saw the opposite. He was genuinely happy and excited when Kirk was doing well. That bodes well for him and will make the team rally around him even more. It isn't about him. He's for the team.

Don't expect a straight line progression for Griffin either. From what I've read about practices... there are days where he's Joe Montana and then days where he's a rookie. These are the lumps that must be taken.

The good thing is, with a line like we have right now... we have some talent waiting in the wings.

I think this was good for RG3. He now sees his mistakes and hopefully will work even harder.

I think the one that wakes up tomorrow with the "wtf" moment won't have any sore muscles. Instead he is on way back with a spotless uniform. Sexy Rexy has to be concerned he may have been passed.

My thoughts exactly. Cousins looks like he can handle a pro offense, doesn't look like a rookie out there. If the choice comes down to Rex or a young promising OLine player (assuming Cousins continues to play well), I think Rexy may get the boot.

I mentioned this in the chat room last night; I am now a bit less fearful of the wheels coming completely off if Robert should get hurt.

Edited to add this

P.S., I really would like to see Cousins behind our starting OL up against an opposing team's DL-particularly one with a good defense.

the other thing Kirk does is put on film the reads you're supposed to make... This was something Rex was 'supposed' to be doing, but Cousins is doing it very well. Now they can sit down in the meetings and look at the film... talk about the progressions, and Griff can have a conversation with someone doin the same things he is... someone he can relate to.

Also if we spin this right....and all the 'experts' said it wasnt possible... but suddenly cousins has become a very intriguing player to a lot of teams out there. Someone in need of a QB might be making some phone calls...

In addition to this, we've finally had something we havent had since 1987. TRUE depth with young talent at the QB position (at least through 2 preseason games).

I don't see Griff doing much worrying or wondering. Just doesn't strike me as that kind of guy. Now or ever.

Rex does need to start wondering though and soon.

I find the arguments I've heard for keeping Grossman becoming increasingly difficult to defend.

In all honesty, I kind of expected Robert to take a few more lumps this week and have a more difficult go of things vs. a fairly tough Bears' defense. If you've been watching the second week of preseason games, they look much different than week 1 games, which were essentially glorified practices. Defenses are throwing a few more blitzes and a bit more pressure at QBs this past week across the league, and the intensity has been amped up a bit more. I'm sure Robert was well aware of the fact that this would be a difficult test.

For me, it's not so much about the fact that he faced some difficulties out there last night. It's more so about how he responds with his play and preparation over the next week. That's what separates the greats from the rest of the pack...the way in which they handle adversity and doubts from outsiders.

We all know Robert is going to have his fair share of successes and failures over the course of the regular season and preseason. What happened last night with Robert wasn't a shock...a typical hard day at the office for a rookie. I'm sure Mr. Luck will go through the same thing at some point over the next three preseason games.

Instead, I personally walked away from last night's contest not with concern about if Robert is the right man for the job, but with a sense of pleasant surprise at the fact that maybe we've got some decent insurance with upside at the backup spot.

I've been envious of all those teams over the years that have those potential starters at the backup position (the Kolb's, Hasselbeck's, Cassel's, Flynn's, etc.). In many cases, those teams with potential starters at the backup position have often been some of the stronger and more well-managed teams around the league. Maybe for once we are going to be in a position of strength.

I find the arguments I've heard for keeping Grossman becoming increasingly difficult to defend.

Difficult or impossible? If Griff goes down, at this point, what's the point of bringing Rex in? Are we honestly thinking that we will be in playoff contention? Possible, but seems unlikely to me, realistically. So what would we be playing for at that point?

Besides which, I don't see a whole bunch of teams falling over themselves to pick Rex up. He might very very well be available in week 8 if the unthinkable happened and we had to get him back.

Two words: remember Osaka.

Cousins could have thrown for 7 TDs out there, and it doesn't mean squat.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

I don't think it means anything for Griff. He is starting, barring injury, period. It would take a gargantuan meltdown for that not to happen. I think it portends bad things for Rex.

I don't think you want my input on this. :)

Two words: remember Osaka.

Cousins could have thrown for 7 TDs out there, and it doesn't mean squat.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Or to put it in a more current perspective, he is now tied with Chase Daniel (remember him?) of the Saints, Curtis Painter of the Ravens, and rookie Russell Wilson of Seattle with 3 TD passes so far this preseason.

"Doesn't mean squat" however?-Nah, I can't buy that one. He at least looked like he was able to handle himself in a "real game" situation and keep his wits about him and perform better than average for a rookie QB even with the caveat of playing against second and third string defenses. Right at the moment I would rather have him as the #2 than Rexy-he'll have to fall off the cliff performance-wise for me to change that assessment.

Agreed. If Kirk captained the ship only in the Fourth Quarter then I could see people complaining that he did it against castaways and scrubs. The third quarter includes primary back ups who are going to see a bunch of regular season action and are NFL players.

No need to kick the kid for doing well. He had a very nice outing.

It's good that he totally got his ass kicked, it's a "welcome to the nfl" type moment. It is needed, they say that RG3 is humble, well he's definitely humble now. Of course if our O line looks like that all year, won't matter what he does. Of course there were 3 plays last night where Griff dropped too deep and outside the pocket which caused him to scramble, Im sure Shanny will be working to fix that.

... Get away!

Attachments

• the_incredible_hulk_movie_image_edward_norton__1_1.jpg
    the_incredible_hulk_movie_image_edward_norton__1_1.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 134

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.