• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

You're Robert Griffin...

One more thing about Robert's game. It would perhaps be a bit waggish but I could see some reporter asking him if he still "trusts" his OL and I, for one, would honestly be interested in his answer-it might be telling.

If last night's game did result in an obvious loss of confidence observable in how he played-perhaps a bit more timid, a deer-in-the-headlights appearance, sudden increase in indecision-those sorts of things, I would be concerned. I don't expect to see that however. Beating a deceased equine, he is a rookie and he's just now getting introduced in the real NFL. I think he'll adjust.

I don't think anyone is kicking Cousins for doing well. I'm saying don't read too much into this. John Beck looked adequate in his preseason action as well, and we all saw how that turned out.

And I don't think the guys Cousins faced will see lots of regular season action; only about a 3rd of them will even make the team.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

P.S., I really would like to see Cousins behind our starting OL up against an opposing team's DL-particularly one with a good defense.

I would like to see Griffin behind our starting offensive line.

Everybody knows 'it's the pre-season'. But if we're going to watch the damn games, we might as well take the opportunity to assess. It's what we do :)

I wonder if Griffin was having some deja vu moments last night, harkening back to his first games under center for Baylor? I don't know if they were terrible back then, but I am guessing since they had essentially zero winning tradition at the time, that it didn't start out glory and rose petals. It's going to take time.

The paradox is, what it cost to get RG3 makes it much more difficult to build the supporting cast around him he's going to need. That, and the Mara scheme to outright screw us out of cap space. Our best hope this year is to have a repeat of last season where our OL inexplicably played way above it's talent level for a long stretch of the season.

One other thing - I hate it when people talk about Cousins as 'trade bait'. I'm not saying it's impossible - but for me, that's the way the old Redskins did business, not a smart approach for the future. Do you know how hard it is to find a really good QB - whether as a starter or a backup? And we may have gotten one in round 4 of the draft. There may actually come a time in Redskinsland where, when the starter goes down, we're still in contention. I know it's hard to wrap our minds around that kind of scenario, but when it happens, that's when having a guy like Cousins (again, if he continues to look solid) is gold. Trade him away? Unless it were for an OL starter for the next decade, I would really not see the logic in it.

Everybody knows 'it's the pre-season'. But if we're going to watch the damn games, we might as well take the opportunity to assess. It's what we do :)

I wonder if Griffin was having some deja vu moments last night, harkening back to his first games under center for Baylor? I don't know if they were terrible back then, but I am guessing since they had essentially zero winning tradition at the time, that it didn't start out glory and rose petals. It's going to take time.

The paradox is, what it cost to get RG3 makes it much more difficult to build the supporting cast around him he's going to need. That, and the Mara scheme to outright screw us out of cap space. Our best hope this year is to have a repeat of last season where our OL inexplicably played way above it's talent level for a long stretch of the season.

One other thing - I hate it when people talk about Cousins as 'trade bait'. I'm not saying it's impossible - but for me, that's the way the old Redskins did business, not a smart approach for the future. Do you know how hard it is to find a really good QB - whether as a starter or a backup? And we may have gotten one in round 4 of the draft. There may actually come a time in Redskinsland where, when the starter goes down, we're still in contention. I know it's hard to wrap our minds around that kind of scenario, but when it happens, that's when having a guy like Cousins (again, if he continues to look solid) is gold. Trade him away? Unless it were for an OL starter for the next decade, I would really not see the logic in it.

no argument here...but some caveats:

1) Cousins is gonna wanna leave anyway to get his chance.

2) Some team offers a first or second (it does happen).....I'm listening!

3) I still favor installing Cousins as the #2 QB. This team isn't going anywhere this season. Get him the reps in practice and clean-up stints. Rex's moment has come and gone....he's not part of the future.

All valid points Al. Only thing on #2 is that picks are great, but weighing them against a proven performer (if Cousins turns out to be that guy), particularly at the most important position on the roster, well we need to think long and hard about whether that's a good trade?

And of course, it will be years to know for sure if Cousins is really a bonafide NFL starter, or even solid backup. We're just keeping ourselves entertained with the conversation at the moment.

I think there is a difference in trading Cousins for picks at various points along the way of his contract. If he is coming up on the end of his contract, and has looked good in a few spot starts and preseason, and also has made it clear he would rather go somewhere he can compete for a starting job, I think you have to pull the trigger on a high pick. Also, if a team is willing to offer a 2nd or 3rd for him right now, I think you have to take that too.

But generally, I agree with you Boone. No reason to be too anxious to turn a valuable contributing backup QB into the unknown of draft picks unless the proper scenario presents itself.

All valid points Al. Only thing on #2 is that picks are great, but weighing them against a proven performer (if Cousins turns out to be that guy), particularly at the most important position on the roster, well we need to think long and hard about whether that's a good trade?

And of course, it will be years to know for sure if Cousins is really a bonafide NFL starter, or even solid backup. We're just keeping ourselves entertained with the conversation at the moment.

Boone...we don't need to know! someone is going to take a chance on the Cobb/Flynn of the moment. That can be turned into a pick....that can be turned into multiple picks......that could be turned into a trade up.....including the next QB to be groomed.

this team is still talent poor relatively speaking. Cousins is only here for 4 years. I think he is a better option than Rex as back-up.......but I'm also willing to take one step back for 2-3 forward. do you trust your scouting department or not? this board, in the past, seems to have favored drafts with quantity.

the matter is moot if Cousins doesn't perform/demonstrate promise in the eyes of the folks who know how to judge QB talent. then...he's just another Rex no one else wants.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm with Fansince on this one. I liked the Cousins pick from the beginning because as we all should know from the Baby Heath days, sometimes your 1st pick doesn't work out. Even if he does, having a (potentially) starting caliber backup QB for four years that gets you a high pick in exchange afterwards can't be beat. Yes we needed additional OL help. However taking a longer term view I think you have to take a possible franchise QB in the 4th round 10 times out of 10.

As for RGIII's performance, I'm glad it happened. I'd rather he get the message right away that this isn't going to be easy. I know he's said all the right things so far but he's only human and if it came too easy for him I suspect he might be ever so slightly less motivated to push himself to the limit. As long as he doesn't look like Gabbert last year, who surprisingly enough hasn't looked too bad in preseason so far, I'll consider it a building block for next year. Once the light comes on for this guy...:yikes:

I just finished watching the game. Cousins definitely looked better than Bob, and by a very wide margin. Our starting o-line really needs to get it together quickly. They didn't give Bob or the RB much help.

It's still way too early to make any serious judgements, but I think the Colts must feel that they made the right choice with the top pick, and taking Cousins....a move I hated, may have just been a blessing in disguise.

Its still to early to make any serious judgments, but here's a serious judgment...lol.

Colts made a great choice, so did we. Its all going to be fine!
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Last edited by a moderator:
So, we're supposed to think Cousins would have done better than RGIII against the Bears #1 defense?

Seriously?

I guess you guys saw a different first half than I did. There was no time for RGIII to do anything against the Bears' first team because that o-line was terrible. Terrible!

Oh, and I suppose most of you think the Bears' defense in the second half was as good as their starters? Really?

I love what Cousins did, but had he started, he might have been carried off the field...he's not half the escape artist RGIII is.

+1 :rotflmao:

So, we're supposed to think Cousins would have done better than RGIII against the Bears #1 defense?

Seriously?

I guess you guys saw a different first half than I did. There was no time for RGIII to do anything against the Bears' first team because that o-line was terrible. Terrible!

Oh, and I suppose most of you think the Bears' defense in the second half was as good as their starters? Really?

I love what Cousins did, but had he started, he might have been carried off the field...he's not half the escape artist RGIII is.

Yeah - that's exactly what everyone is saying :) I think just about every one in this thread acknowledged that Cousins was playing against backups and had more opportunity to shine. It doesn't negate what was an impressive performance by Cousins. If you don't think THAT was the headline coming out of this game, take a look around the web.

Well of course that is the headline...its DC, I'm not sure they would be the Redskins without a QB controversy.

Seriously?

no one is arguiing that. the original thrust of the thread was who should be the #2 QB.

hey man...not stirring the pot! I don't think anyone is confusing KC with RG!!!

it's good all-around that Cousins may be turning into a bright spot. We all know RGIII is da man!!

Over the past several years during preseason, things were generally close at halftime and we would often lose in the second half. While our starters have struggled on offense the first two games, our depth has looked pretty good.

It hasn't been too often in recent memory that we could say "our backups are better than theirs". It's nice to have quality depth for a change. Quality depth means guys can actually push the starters and keep them from getting complacent. Hoping that continues. It's just a shame they can't increase rosters from 53 to 60. There are a lot of guys who are going to get cut that could actually contribute this year.

While Cuz has looked good, and I wouldn't be opposed to keeping him over Rex, it's bad for some other guy, whoever he may be, that Shanahan will keep Grossman over him.

Griffin is a rookie and I expect to see him look a LOT more like he did against the Bears than like he did against Buffalo. Our O-Line will prevent him from playing like Cam Newton but I expect to see flashes of brilliance and that will be enough to tide me over for a year.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.