A Burgundy and Gold Obsession
'Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.' - Groucho Marx

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Disagree Disagree:  0
Post of the Year Post of the Year:  0
    2016 BGO Survivor Champ

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Florida State

Default Winery Police: Virginia Vintners Beware

http://washingtonexaminer.com/virgin...1#.UC1i1I7CFld

Goal, I thought you might be interested in this. It's another example of power going to someone's head!
    0 0 0 0

The more things change...the more they stay the same. It's like deja vu all over again.

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    James Madison

First, let me say, I'd be all about a Wine Party. Yes, please!

Second, I am still trying to figure out why it was necessary for the author to continue to try to tie all this back to Obama. Really weird.

Thirdly, this local govt stooge has to go! How dare she?! We have joined two wine clubs in the past six months and they are loads of fun. And of course the vineyards market themselves. Duh. One is a lot more likely to spend money when one is enjoying delights from the vine.
    0 0 0 0

OLine. DLine. Secondary.

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    George Mason

I live in this county, so when I saw the title I figured it was about us. Not only do I live here, but my wife and I go to wineries quite often.

Let me give you guys some perspective:

First off - this county is so poorly mismanaged that I'm anxious to sell our house and GTFO as soon as possible. We have great schools - and that's about it. Our county has elected to create a 'residential' area and to be very anti-business. The result? Tons of people that live here and require lots of government expenses - schools, for example, we're still REALLY behind in schools after just building a 3rd high school and doubling the size of an existing school (that can't be finished because it's 7 million over budget).
    But our anti-business tactics have resulted in no business to foot the bills. Completely idiotic. Many companies are skipping over us and going to Culpepper because it just doesn't make sense to open a business in Fauquier. Completely unbelievable.

Second - This is a good old boys town. If you're in 'the network' you get what you need, and if you aren't you don't. The wineries have been feuding with each other over ridiculous HOA/Zoning issues as a way for certain wineries to cause other wineries to shut their doors. So this is a feud is just now becoming public to the general area.

Third - I'm not entirely sure how this is being tied to Obama. This area is die hard republican. I'm not sure what her specific political affiliations are, but I find it hard to believe this is a democratic movement, and only because it just doesn't fit the demographic of the area...

Fourth - The farmers in this area have been running this county forever, and they're ****ing ruining it. They are obsessed with keeping this area farmland, but not just so they can farm what they want, but so that the rest of us have to suffer the consequences. These farmers have big money, and they're throwing it around quite often. They've completely ****ed our area out of good, decent jobs from places like Costco, walmart, home depot, and other big employers that we desperately need because I'm sick of driving to ****ing gainseville, culpepper, haymarket, or fairfax because we simply do not have anything. (we do have a walmart and home depot now, but they had to build across lines to get it done).

The entire northern area of the county can be, and is farming. We want some businesses in and around warrenton to provide jobs and give us options for living here. But the farmers are so unbelievably selfish that they are protecting area that has absolutely nothing to do with farming.

I like farmers - I like the idea of supporting farmers. But this area is run by a bunch of clowns, and has been for a long time. We need to let the farmers do things in their end of the county and let businesses move into our end of the county so we can have a decent local economy going on.

I also love the wineries - we go all the time!

Sorry. I know I just ranted. But there's a whole lot more to this issue than some crazy woman trying to shut down wineries. There's a huge power struggle going on in this county and it's centered around the farmers dictating what the rest of us do despite them living miles away from the main town of warrenton.

Please don't take this as being anti-farmers, or anti-wineries, because it's not true at all. It's simply a post to give some perspective to the issue from someone who lives here and sees what is happening. We could be a very vibrant place with horses and farms as a major part of our county as well as having some reputable businesses that can provide some meaningful jobs. There's a middle ground here, but the people in power wont budge an inch so this little war has begun.
    Last edited by tshile; 08-16-12 at 07:21 PM.
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    James Madison

T, if you are ever down South to the Waynesboro/Staunton/Charlottesville and want to visit some wineries, let me know. We've got memberships.
    0 0 0 0

OLine. DLine. Secondary.

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    George Mason

I'll definitely let you know. The same is extended to you, though there's not much of a reason to travel to Fauquier county
    0 0 0 0