• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

NFL.com: Redskins employing Baylor spread offense for RG3

Om

Burgundy & Gold Jacket
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Redskins employing Baylor spread offense for RG3

It’s evident from the Washington Redskins’ training camp that the team plans to utilize rookie quarterback Robert Griffin III’s athletic ability in every way imaginable.

They are even going so far as to put in parts of the offense Griffin excelled in at the University of Baylor.

“It’s been an interesting training camp for us because we are implementing some of the things that Robert did very well at Baylor,” Redskins tight end Chris Cooley told “NFL AM” Thursday morning. “We’ve been utilizing a bit of the option thinking if we want to go this way, if we don’t.”

The Redskins may be practicing the Baylor offense a lot at training camp, but Cooley explains that is just to get the rest of the team up to speed on how certain plays are run.

“Our training camp practices probably look a lot more like Baylor’s offense,” he said. “That doesn’t necessarily mean that our offense when we start week 1 will run 30 option plays this season. Obviously a quarterback in the NFL shouldn’t take that beating but for us to learn the style that he played in, we need to practice it more than say our 18 or 19 outside zone plays which we are all very comfortable with running.”

Head coach Mike Shanahan and the Redskins are smart to tailor its offense to their Griffin’s skill-set and Cooley said they are able to employ a diverse offense because of the quarterbacks intelligence and maturity.

“The first thing that is unique about Robert is he came in a leader of this offense,” Cooley said. “I’ve been the most impressed with him as a rookie because he’s not a rookie. And with the burden that’s on his shoulders, he can’t come in big-eyed, he can’t come in and say 'How can I fit in with these guys? What am I going to do, how’s it going to be in the NFL?’ He’s came in with the mentality that 'I’m here to win football games for the Washington Redskins.’”
No way. They said Shanahan is too rigid. Too egotistical. :twitch:

This is going to be quite a ride.

Opposition rebuttal to be offered by Donovan McNabb on Sportscenter at 6 and 10.

Emphasis on "butt."

Interesting. With the worries about the OLine, not quite sure how I feel about this. But it is nice to see proof that Shanahan can adjust. And apparently wants to.

Can we all just make a pact to strike McNabb from our memories? Is there a way to rewrite the books so he never shows up as a member of the Skins again?

i like this... I dont want to see a spread DRIVEN offense, but i'd love to see the formation sprinkled in and out when the matchup is benefitial.

personally, i think it actually helps the O-line issues. A spread forced teams to put a hat on a hat.... eliminating safety blitzes, as well as minimizing the amount of time an OLB can rush... they're too busy either dropping into coverage in man to man, or focusing on the flats. If you blitz a safety or OLB, the it leaves someone un-accounted for... and with a guy like Griffin, who can move the pocket, he can buy time to get the ball downfield.

Can we all just make a pact to strike McNabb from our memories? Is there a way to rewrite the books so he never shows up as a member of the Skins again?

Seconded. And can we throw in the entire Spurrier era as well?

Nah, that's not how life works. The lows are what define the highs.

It's all very zen.

Nah, that's not how life works. The lows are what define the highs.

It's all very zen.

This is why you need to be here more often, my friend. You have an excellent sense of balance.

I think Shanahan is messing with opposing coaches minds. Opposing teams hated preparing for Baylor last year because of the dual threat that RG3 possessed. I think Shanahan is taking advantage of that as well in preparing for this season. The good mobile quarterbacks such as Rodgers and RG3 provide that extra dimension that must be accounted for. Shanahan will not do anything to put RG3 in any more peril than he already faces, but opposing teams will have to account for his mobility.

remember...this is a voyage. RG has such huge upside ability......that this offense can only grow in options/dimensions over time. this is just the beginning!

hot dog...as long as he doesn't get hurt....this is gonna be some kinda awesome career to witness!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.