A Burgundy and Gold Obsession
'Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.' - Groucho Marx

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Disagree Disagree:  0
Post of the Year Post of the Year:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Navy

Default Yahoo / AP: Security guard credited for thwarting DC shooting

http://news.yahoo.com/security-guard...091440582.html

WASHINGTON (AP) — A man who had been a volunteer at a community center for gays walked into the lobby of a conservative political organization, made a negative comment about what the group stands for, pulled a gun and opened fire, authorities said.

But the shooting Wednesday morning at the downtown Washington headquarters of the Family Research Council left only one person injured: the security guard. And after being struck in the arm, he helped wrestle the gunman to the floor, thwarting an attack that police fear could have turned deadly.

"The security guard here is a hero, in my opinion," D.C. Police Chief Cathy Lanier said of Leo Johnson, who was conscious and in stable condition at an area hospital after the shooting.

Police and the FBI were investigating why the armed man, identified as 28-year-old Floyd Lee Corkins II of Herndon, Va., entered the front lobby of the conservative group, argued with the guard and opened fire. But one law enforcement official, speaking on condition of anonymity, said the suspect made a negative reference about the group's work and what it stands for before shooting.

Corkins was being held on a charge of assault with a deadly weapon, the FBI said Wednesday night. Bill Miller, a spokesman for the U.S. Attorney's Office, said Corkins would likely appear in court Thursday but gave no further details.

Television news footage showed the suspect, a large man with a shaved head and an unbuttoned striped shirt, being led to a car with his hands restrained. It was not immediately clear if he had a lawyer. Corkins was carrying a 9mm Sig Sauer handgun that authorities have determined was purchased and owned legally, said Richard Marianos, special agent in charge of the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives' Washington field office.

Though authorities did not publicly reveal a motive, advocacy groups across the ideological spectrum condemned the violence, with some casting it as a hate crime. President Barack Obama was concerned about the well-being of the guard, a White House spokesman said, and Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney also said he was appalled.

"Today's attack is the clearest sign we've seen that labeling pro-marriage groups as 'hateful' must end," Brian Brown, the president of the National Organization for Marriage, said in a statement.

The Family Research Council, headquartered in a busy downtown tourist district, strongly opposes gay marriage and abortion and says it advocates "faith, family and freedom in public policy and public opinion." The group maintains a powerful lobbying presence on those causes, testifying before Congress and reviewing legislation. Its president, Tony Perkins, said the group's main concern was with the wounded guard.

Corkins, who had been volunteering recently at a community center for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people, made a negative comment about the organization's activity before the shooting, but the reference was not specific, one of the law enforcement officials said. Two law enforcement officials said Corkins was carrying sandwiches from Chick-fil-A, a fast-food chain whose president's public opposition to same-sex marriage recently placed the restaurant at the center of a national cultural debate.

The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because the investigating is continuing.

Johnson, who was taken to the hospital Wednesday, was expected to survive.

"The security guard did a phenomenal job, above and beyond what he was supposed to do in this particular situation," said Jacqueline Maguire, a spokeswoman for the FBI's Washington field office.

Corkins had been volunteering for about the past six months at The DC Center for the LGBT Community, said David Mariner, executive director of the community center, in Northwest Washington. He usually staffed the center's front desk on Saturdays, and his most recent shift was about two weeks ago.

"He always struck me as a kind, gentle and unassuming young man. I'm very surprised that he could be involved in something like this," Mariner said.

Authorities seized Corkins' car at a northern Virginia Metro station, and were going door-to-door interviewing neighbors, several of whom spoke highly of the family.

"They were always so sweet and so nice," said Stephanie Meyer, who lives a few doors down. "They are awesome people. We never had any issues."

According to a U.S. Defense Department official, Corkins is not a member of the Air Force, but he may have lived at Andrews Air Force base in some other capacity in the past, possibly as a dependent or family member. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because the official was not authorized to provide personal information.

Amy Biondi and her husband Steve were visiting Washington from Long Island with their daughter and a friend and tried to ask officers for help with a parking meter when they were told there was a situation they had to deal with. The door to the FRC was opened, and an officer could be heard repeatedly shouting, "Put the gun down, put the gun down."

"Next thing you know there are police officers swarming the area," said Biondi, 45, a massage therapist from St. James, N.Y.

The family didn't get a close look inside, but they said the man that officers were talking to seemed to comply immediately.

Groups aligned with conservative causes lambasted the shooting, but so did a coalition of about two dozen organizations promoting gay, lesbian and transgender rights, which said it rejected and condemned the attack.

White House spokesman Jay Carney said the president, who was traveling in Iowa Wednesday, was informed of the shooting shortly after 1 p.m.

"The president expressed his concern for the individual injured in the shooting and his strong belief that this type of violence has no place in our society," Carney said.

Romney said in a statement that he was appalled. "There is no place for such violence in our society," he said. "My prayers go out to the wounded security guard and his family, as well as all the people at the Family Research Council whose sense of security has been shattered by today's horrific events."

The headquarters of the FRC is in the city's bustling Chinatown neighborhood, near the Verizon Center, the Smithsonian National Portrait Gallery and several museums, restaurants and shops.

In the past month, the FRC has forcefully defended Chick-fil-A President Dan Cathy for his remarks in opposition to gay marriage.

Mariner said he did not know Corkins well or have any conversations with him about the Chick-fil-A controversy or other political issues of interest to the gay community.

"I really only talked to him about volunteering, so I couldn't say anything about anything else," Mariner said.
    0 0 0 0

Never Get into a Fight with an Ugly Person. They Have nothing to lose. :)

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Navy

This has to be a mistake, I mean everybody knows that only white conservatives, Uncle Toms that vote for the GOP, members of the TEA party and folks that watch FNC or listen to Rush, commit hate crimes.

How could a person on the left where all diversity and open mindedness orignates be so violent?
    Last edited by NavyDave; 08-16-12 at 11:13 AM.
    0 0 0 0

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Navy

True and yet there is very little discussion on liberal media channels and both boards since the shooter is a leftwinger and a sympathizer of one of Team Donkey's cash cows
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    James Madison

Quote Originally Posted by NavyDave View Post
    This has to be a mistake, I mean everybody knows that only white conservatives, Uncle Toms that vote for the GOP, members of the TEA party and folks that watch FNC or listen to Rush, commit hate crimes.

How could a person on the left where all diversity and open mindedness orignates be so violent?
    I'm confused. Are we allowed to call this trolling or not?

0 0 0 0

OLine. DLine. Secondary.

2016 BGO Survivor Champ

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Florida State

Quote Originally Posted by Goaldeje View Post
    I'm confused. Are we allowed to call this trolling or not?

Yeah, but since it's true we'll let it pass!
    0 0 0 0

The more things change...the more they stay the same. It's like deja vu all over again.

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    James Madison

Quote Originally Posted by Elephant View Post
    Yeah, but since it's true we'll let it pass!
    Tell ya what, if the Skins have TC in Richmond next year, I will meet you there and buy dinner for us both, and we can discuss it in more detail then.

And I even promise to leave my Boisenberry beer at home. Unless Neo comes. I have to be able to impress him somehow.
    0 0 0 0

OLine. DLine. Secondary.

2016 BGO Survivor Champ

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Florida State

Quote Originally Posted by Goaldeje View Post
    Tell ya what, if the Skins have TC in Richmond next year, I will meet you there and buy dinner for us both, and we can discuss it in more detail then.

And I even promise to leave my Boisenberry beer at home. Unless Neo comes. I have to be able to impress him somehow.
    Ha! We'll see. I have been looking at houses in Central VA...it might not be that big a deal for me to get to Richmond next year.
    0 0 0 0

The more things change...the more they stay the same. It's like deja vu all over again.

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    George Mason

Quote Originally Posted by NavyDave View Post
    True and yet there is very little discussion on liberal media channels and both boards since the shooter is a leftwinger and a sympathizer of one of Team Donkey's cash cows
    i haven't had time to watch cable news today, but it was certainly being covered all over the radio on channels people call 'left wing'...

so, maybe it depends on who you're watching/listening to?

i don't think his political affiliations matter one way or the other. the only people i've heard talk about his political affiliations are republicans pointing out that he's a left winger, like you.
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

It's all over CNN right now. They are at the moment discussing the political motivation behind the shooting.

Posted With Tapatalk
    0 0 0 0

Subscribe to our BGO Mailing List

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    George Mason

Well, there you go.

I can't help but feel like it's only brought up to jab at the other side, as if being a democract/republican is an indication of how inclined you are to commit mass murder or something.
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    George Mason

I just watched Bill Oreilly's segment on this and it was utterly disgusting. He brought on the guy in charge of the organization that was targeted.
    He then started the segment about how some people accused Oreilly of being the force behind the abortion doctor Tiller being killed years ago (Tiller the baby killer, if you remember). He went on about how ridiculous it is to pin something like this, clearly done by a mentally unstable person, on 'the other side' simply because of political arguments.

He then allowed this guy to sit on his show and do the exactly same thing to members on the left. Right infront of him. Not only did he allow it, but he (Oreilly) referred to this situation as a 'Political Crime', and while the man kept badgering other organizations for 'fueling' this attack and 'giving license' to people to commit such attacks the only thin he could muster was "We'll, we don't know about that organization but we'll do an investigation".

The hypocrisy is yet again absolutely disgusting. Members of the right are now making this a politically motivated thing, as if the democrats support actions like this, while simultaneously complaining about how the democrats do this when the situation is reverse.

Absolutely disgusting.

Personal note: I like Oreilly, and always have. I think typically he's above the fray on this sort of thing. So for me to see him do this is disgusting to me. He's completely capable of putting a guest in their place, and does it regularly. He purposefully chose not to do so in this situation.
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Liberals everywhere are saddened there was no body count. how sad we don't have Liberal media to pour through today blaming Palin or target of the day for this fast and furious action.
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tshile View Post
    I just watched Bill Oreilly's segment on this and it was utterly disgusting. He brought on the guy in charge of the organization that was targeted.
    He then started the segment about how some people accused Oreilly of being the force behind the abortion doctor Tiller being killed years ago (Tiller the baby killer, if you remember). He went on about how ridiculous it is to pin something like this, clearly done by a mentally unstable person, on 'the other side' simply because of political arguments.

He then allowed this guy to sit on his show and do the exactly same thing to members on the left. Right infront of him. Not only did he allow it, but he (Oreilly) referred to this situation as a 'Political Crime', and while the man kept badgering other organizations for 'fueling' this attack and 'giving license' to people to commit such attacks the only thin he could muster was "We'll, we don't know about that organization but we'll do an investigation".

The hypocrisy is yet again absolutely disgusting. Members of the right are now making this a politically motivated thing, as if the democrats support actions like this, while simultaneously complaining about how the democrats do this when the situation is reverse.

Absolutely disgusting.

Personal note: I like Oreilly, and always have. I think typically he's above the fray on this sort of thing. So for me to see him do this is disgusting to me. He's completely capable of putting a guest in their place, and does it regularly. He purposefully chose not to do so in this situation.
    no...you are uniformed. there has been a running motief in some media the last few days about how the Southern Poverty Law Center (and other defenders of everything that is pure and virtuous) has been labeling the RNC a hate organization for mos on end - specifically related to RNC's opposition to gay marriage. do your homework before jumping into the fire. it certainly is a political issue and law suits are being filed.

the scumbags on the Left are the first to always jump into these events and point the fingers at any target they wish to demonize....irrespective of the facts.
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    George Mason

I have more common sense than to think that inflammatory political rhetoric is subliminal support for violent crimes and mass murder.

I didn't think Palin and her entourage were encouraging shooting law makers when they talked about their bull's eye and those comments either.

Quote Originally Posted by fansince62 View Post
    the scumbags on the Left are the first to always jump into these events and point the fingers at any target they wish to demonize....irrespective of the facts.
    Oh irony, how I love thee.
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Oh irony, how I love thee.

yes...your love, if not command of the facts, is well known to be unabounding.
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    George Mason

The facts, as they currently stand, with regards to you seems to be:
    - if the shooter has ties to republicans, then he's just a crazy person
    - if the shooter has ties to democrats than its politically motivated and supported/desired by the democrats.

It reminds me greatly of the problem we have now with hate crimes:
    - if the shooter is white and the victim is black the crime is racially motivated
    - if the shooter is black and the victim is white there is no racial motivation
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Florida Atlantic

Absolutely disgusting.

See, I find this fairly typical of O'Reilly. But yes, nonetheless disgusting either way.
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    George Mason

Quote Originally Posted by Lanky Livingston View Post
    See, I find this fairly typical of O'Reilly. But yes, nonetheless disgusting either way.
    I watched Oreilly for 4-5 years on a nightly basis. I probably haven't watched him a whole lot in the last 3-4 years, so maybe he's changed.

But I remember him as someone who stuck up for his opinions but was clear what his opinions are vs what the facts are (much like I view Jon Stewart, just leaning the other direction), and I recall him being very much a bully when he thought the guest was snowing the audience. I remember him as always, and clearly, leaning right but not being anything like a Sean Hannity, Rush Limbaugh, or other far-right people who purposefully make their show biased/partisan.

It's also possible my memory is wrong
    0 0 0 0

NFL Pickem Champion 2018
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    Virginia Tech

One of these days I'm going to make some of you sit down face to face for one of these nuh-uh, YOU are "debates." Maybe you'll get a sense how head-shakingly tiresome the daily dogmafest is for the rest of us.
    0 0 0 0

Subscribe to our BGO Mailing List

Eschew obfuscation.

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    James Madison

Sell tickets if you need a fundraiser...
    0 0 0 0

OLine. DLine. Secondary.