A Burgundy and Gold Obsession
'Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.' - Groucho Marx

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Disagree Disagree:  0
Post of the Year Post of the Year:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 54
  1. #1
    2016 BGO Survivor Champ

    Join Date
    08-01-09
    Location
    My location
    Posts
    11,499
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Florida State

    Default Biden Quote from Danville, VA

    OK, extending the conversation about what lengths politicians are willing to go, I give you a fine example of some of the most disgraceful antics I have ever heard from a politician.


    http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/aug/14/biden-tells-va-supporters-romney-would-put-blacks-/


    http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...d-put-blacks-/
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    The more things change...the more they stay the same. It's like deja vu all over again.

  2. #2

    Join Date
    07-15-09
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    13,516
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Florida Atlantic

    Default

    Yeah...while I'm almost certain he did not mean literally that the Republican party would enslave them, that's got to be the poorest choice of words of any politician ever. Pretty bad.

    Just STFU, Joe! Stop talking!

    EDIT: My reasoning for the above is that Rosary Joe is known for speaking gaffes, and I just can't imagine he'd really say that. I'm not ruling out the possibility that he did mean it, but I just can't believe he did.
    0 0 0 0
     
     

  3. #3

    Join Date
    02-01-10
    Location
    Waynesboro, VA
    Posts
    9,169
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    65
    James Madison

    Default

    SMH. Doofus. I think Henry said this announcement would make the VP debates interesting? Uh... No. Sorry Henry. Ryan is going to run circles around Clueless Joe.
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    OLine. DLine. Secondary.

  4. #4
    BGObsessed
    Join Date
    09-28-10
    Location
    BGO's Official Resident "Tech Dummy"
    Posts
    9,242
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

    Default

    Seriously, Biden potentially becoming president would have been scarier than Palin
    0 0 0 0
     
     

  5. #5
    2016 BGO Survivor Champ

    Join Date
    08-01-09
    Location
    My location
    Posts
    11,499
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Florida State

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lanky Livingston View Post
    Yeah...while I'm almost certain he did not mean literally that the Republican party would enslave them, that's got to be the poorest choice of words of any politician ever. Pretty bad.

    Just STFU, Joe! Stop talking!

    EDIT: My reasoning for the above is that Rosary Joe is known for speaking gaffes, and I just can't imagine he'd really say that. I'm not ruling out the possibility that he did mean it, but I just can't believe he did.
    We both agree it was a poor choice of words, but I think you're giving him the benefit of the doubt here. If it was a gaffe as you say, I am not sure he would have said "y'all" to place emphasis on it. He knew what he was doing.

    He's been playing coy for 4 years now. The man is not stupid. He's about as wily a politician as you get. Gonna have to disagree on intent here Lanky, I think this was calculated. It is a theme among the far left to paint the GOP as racist and Biden was playing to that theme.

    Edit: I don't think Black America is going to like that Biden attempted such a tactic. But the worst part is that the Obama administration is saying that his statement was in tune with the message he was trying to portray. Just like the Romney killed a woman ad, they won't disavow the fact that this is inappropriate.
    Last edited by Elephant; 08-14-12 at 05:22 PM.
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    The more things change...the more they stay the same. It's like deja vu all over again.

  6. #6
    BGObsessed
    Join Date
    07-16-11
    Posts
    1,024
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    I only read what was exerpted on this thread. Have to say it feels like an intentional "gaffe" It's the kind of rhetoric I hate because it leads you nowhere except to a fight.

    If he wants to argue that the GOP plan will increase the wealth divide and that will truly harm minorities... then have at it. Say it and prove it. The hyperbole does nothing except make people hate each other. It doesn't add to the conversation, doesn't change anyone's mind. It's a cheap attempt at manipulation.

    At least that's my cynical take based on the portion that was quoted here.
    0 0 0 0
     
     

  7. #7

    Join Date
    07-15-09
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    13,516
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Florida Atlantic

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elephant View Post
    We both agree it was a poor choice of words, but I think you're giving him the benefit of the doubt here. If it was a gaffe as you say, I am not sure he would have said "y'all" to place emphasis on it. He knew what he was doing.
    Y'all is a very common saying in the South, among all races, so I don't think that had anything to do with it.

    He's been playing coy for 4 years now. The man is not stupid. He's about as wily a politician as you get. Gonna have to disagree on intent here Lanky, I think this was calculated. It is a theme among the far left to paint the GOP as racist and Biden was playing to that theme.
    It just seems way too blatant...there's a line you don't cross, and if this was calculated, he just swan dove across that line. I see this as proof of his LACK of political skills either way - if it was a gaffe, its a terrible one. If it was calculated, its cheap and tasteless, and people (of all races) should be very offended by it, also not something a politician would do.
    0 0 0 0
     
     

  8. #8

    Join Date
    07-15-09
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    13,516
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Florida Atlantic

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by burgold View Post
    I only read what was exerpted on this thread. Have to say it feels like an intentional "gaffe" It's the kind of rhetoric I hate because it leads you nowhere except to a fight.

    If he wants to argue that the GOP plan will increase the wealth divide and that will truly harm minorities... then have at it. Say it and prove it. The hyperbole does nothing except make people hate each other. It doesn't add to the conversation, doesn't change anyone's mind. It's a cheap attempt at manipulation.

    At least that's my cynical take based on the portion that was quoted here.
    I'm going on the quoted excerpts as well, haven't had time to watch a video of the speech. Hope this is more than just taking him out of context, like the Obama "you didn't build that" attack. Its about 10 times more vile.
    0 0 0 0
     
     

  9. #9
    2016 BGO Survivor Champ

    Join Date
    08-01-09
    Location
    My location
    Posts
    11,499
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Florida State

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lanky Livingston View Post
    Y'all is a very common saying in the South, among all races, so I don't think that had anything to do with it.

    That's my point Lanky, by using the Ya'll in the phrase he appears to be trying to appeal to the masses by using a commonly used term while inciting a clear hatred toward the opponent.

    I think burg hit the nail on the head. This was intentional!


    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7Q1I6PIIuY[/video]
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    The more things change...the more they stay the same. It's like deja vu all over again.

  10. #10
    2016 BGO Survivor Champ

    Join Date
    08-01-09
    Location
    My location
    Posts
    11,499
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Florida State

    Default

    Stefanie Cutter will not disavow the statement. She is deflecting when Mitchell tries to bring it back to the remarks.


    http://video.msnbc.msn.com/mitchell-...3108/#48663108
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    The more things change...the more they stay the same. It's like deja vu all over again.

  11. #11

    Join Date
    07-15-09
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    13,516
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Florida Atlantic

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elephant View Post
    That's my point Lanky, by using the Ya'll in the phrase he appears to be trying to appeal to the masses by using a commonly used term while inciting a clear hatred toward the opponent.

    I think burg hit the nail on the head. This was intentional!

    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7Q1I6PIIuY[/video]

    After watching the video, I wish I hadn't. Its obvious that he was altering his dialect to sound more "Southern," and its obvious that this was intentional. Well, Obama/Biden just lost my vote. What a horrendous thing to say.
    0 0 0 0
     
     

  12. #12

    Join Date
    02-01-10
    Location
    Waynesboro, VA
    Posts
    9,169
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    65
    James Madison

    Default

    Yep. Seems to me that Romney has been running a cleaner campaign up to this point anyway (PACs and SUPERPACs aside), this is pretty disgraceful. I actually hope they lose the election because of this. What a horrendous thing to say.
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    OLine. DLine. Secondary.

  13. #13

    Join Date
    04-12-09
    Location
    Fairfax, VA
    Posts
    4,678
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

    Default

    That's pretty tasteless.
    0 0 0 0
     
     

  14. #14

    Join Date
    09-20-11
    Posts
    8,920
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    George Mason

    Default

    The democrats, in general, have been using race in political campaigns for a long, long time. They've also been using gender, and as of recently (with all of the anti-Muslim sentiment in this country) religion.

    So I don't think you'll have any disagreement on that.

    Both sides have been doing this for a long time. They try to claim 'groups' of people - latinos, women, poor people, elderly, students, teachers, blacks, whites, whatever. I think the democrats put more effort into it than the Republicans, for what its worth.
    0 0 0 0
     
     

  15. #15
    BGObsessed
    Join Date
    07-16-11
    Posts
    1,024
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Goaldeje View Post
    (PACs and SUPERPACs aside)
    Is it fair to not count the mud produced by the PACs and SUPERPACs though? Clearly, Romney's Republican counterparts complained bitterly about the advertising and dirtiness of his campaign in the primaries, but regardless, to what effect do we hold the candidate responsible for their surrogates?

    I'm really not sure about this, but I strongly suspect that both campaigns are in communication with their respective PACs and tacitly give approval for what's put out there. Maybe not always, but most of the time.

    That said, Obama has put out a few doozies already. I think Romney's "You didn't build that ad" was also pretty disingenuous and was intentionally misrepresenting the point (or outright lying) to score points.

    Who is worst... that's almost certainly going to be an issue of perspective.
    0 0 0 0
     
     

  16. #16

    Join Date
    09-20-11
    Posts
    8,920
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    George Mason

    Default

    I find it hard to separate the superpacs/pacs from the candidate. Despite the rules saying they are not communicating, someone is communicating. And if either candidate wanted it stopped they could do so.
    0 0 0 0
     
     

  17. #17

    Join Date
    02-01-10
    Location
    Waynesboro, VA
    Posts
    9,169
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    65
    James Madison

    Default

    Meh. I don't find that nearly as offensive as the Danville thing.
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    OLine. DLine. Secondary.

  18. #18

    Join Date
    04-12-09
    Location
    Fairfax, VA
    Posts
    4,678
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeSr619 View Post
    I agree but it shows pattern.
    Posted via BGO Mobile Device
    THAT shows a pattern?

    Biden's been saying stupid crap for 20 years. It's why he'll never be president (unless, you know, Obama dies in office.)
    0 0 0 0
     
     

  19. #19
    BGObsessed
    Join Date
    09-28-10
    Location
    BGO's Official Resident "Tech Dummy"
    Posts
    9,242
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

    Default

    This flat out proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that Dems can get away with making a racist statement, and it all just blows over - but I guarantee if a Repub made this exact same statement, all hell and judgment fire would be breaking loose all across the country against them
    This whole "Repubs are the racists" is such a lie, fueled by the liberal media
    0 0 0 0
     
     

  20. #20

    Join Date
    07-22-09
    Posts
    7,590
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fear The Spear View Post
    This flat out proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that Dems can get away with making a racist statement, and it all just blows over - but I guarantee if a Repub made this exact same statement, all hell and judgment fire would be breaking loose all across the country against them
    This whole "Repubs are the racists" is such a lie, fueled by the liberal media
    exactly.............
    0 0 0 0
     
     

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Great Quote from Atogwe About Switching from #21 to #20
    By Lanky Livingston in forum Sons of Washington
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-31-11, 08:15 PM
  2. Quote of the day
    By servumtuum in forum Sons of Washington
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 05-05-10, 09:33 AM
  3. Zorn Quote
    By Sarge in forum Sons of Washington
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 09-18-09, 04:29 PM

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •