A Burgundy and Gold Obsession
'Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.' - Groucho Marx

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Disagree Disagree:  0
Post of the Year Post of the Year:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Social Security

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    James Madison

Default Social Security

How do we fix it? Paul Ryan has favored privatizing in the past, do you? Why or why not? Are there safeguards that could be built in? If you could wave a magic wand and fix it, what would it look like?
    0 0 0 0

OLine. DLine. Secondary.

2016 BGO Survivor Champ

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Florida State

If you are relying on it as a retirement plan, you have a terrible retirement plan!

SS Disability is too easy to get. We have too many people collecting who are capable of working.

Paul Ryan's plan regarding privatization gives the individual the option. It is not a complete dismantling of the current system that you will hear consistently for the next 3 months.

The age limit has to be raised to 67 or even 68. My generation is likely going to end up being the first to wait, but it should be sooner.

And there has to be cuts! There needs to be cuts across the board and SS is no exception.
    0 0 0 0

The more things change...the more they stay the same. It's like deja vu all over again.

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    Army

The first place to start would be eliminating the cap on payroll tax. Doing that alone would fill 86 percent of the funding gap in Social Security.

Then you'd have to raise the retirement age to get the other 14 percent. If you raised it incrementally each year to age 68, then you'd have 18% by 2028. So you’d actually have money left over.

Doesn't take a magic wand, takes someone with a brain in office that isn't hell bent on breaking this nation.
    0 0 0 0

It's ok, I don't like you either.

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    James Madison

Ex, I agree that the payroll tax should be uncapped, makes a ton of sense to me. I also agree the age limit should be raised (though I think 70 should be the target with mortality rates rising the way they are), but I also recognize the boomers would be negatively affected by both of those ideas, and they are a much more powerful voting block than the poor.

Do either of you think Romney and Ryan will have the balls to propose reform like that? I don't see how they can, for fear of alienating that block.
    0 0 0 0

OLine. DLine. Secondary.

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    George Mason

Last time I checked social security had run a surplus every year for the last 30+ years
    http://mediamatters.org/mobile/resea...ity-and/178676

Our congressional "leaders" have been using that surplus to fund projects out side of the regular budget. Funny how none of them talk about this part of the social security problem. If the surplus wasn't being drained year after year we would be in a much better situation.

I do not like the idea of forcing privatization but I do like the idea of giving the option. I also think expanding the unemployment terms to 99 weeks and allowing purple to draw from their social security fund is a mistake. I don't think a lot of people realize that's where their unemployment check is coming from and that they are blowing their social security money...
    Last edited by tshile; 08-12-12 at 09:15 AM.
    0 0 0 0

2016 BGO Survivor Champ

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Florida State

Quote Originally Posted by Goaldeje View Post
    ...but I also recognize the boomers would be negatively affected by both of those ideas, and they are a much more powerful voting block than the poor.

Do either of you think Romney and Ryan will have the balls to propose reform like that? I don't see how they can, for fear of alienating that block.
    Boomers are starting to collect now Goal. The Ryan plan wouldn't start for anyone over 55 when it passes, that is if it were to pass. Boomers would not be affected.

Oh and t, are you really going to pass media matters off as a legitimate news source? I am not saying the numbers are wrong, but you could find a more legitimate news source.
    0 0 0 0

The more things change...the more they stay the same. It's like deja vu all over again.

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    James Madison

Disagree, El. Some of the Boomers are collecting now, others aren't. If the plan was to structure the cuts so no one would be affected until the Boomers passed through the system (mostly), while benefits for the poor (Medicaid) were cut immediately, that's not a great solution in my mind. As much as the Republicans have been decrying spending (and rightly so, I might add), I think it would be a bit disingenuous to structure things that way. Instead, they need to find a way to save money today AND tomorrow.
    0 0 0 0

OLine. DLine. Secondary.

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Some good points. I like raising the age. I also like seeing it as a safety net versus a retirement fund. Finally, the point that SS has been in good shape except for Congressional pick pocketing is one that should be paid attention to.

Perhaps, we need a lock box :silly:
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    George Mason

No... They had the right information for the topic I was discussing and were the first link.

I have no real opinion on how credible they are in general. All the sudden that matters? I see blogs and fox news op ed's uses quit often around here...
    0 0 0 0

2016 BGO Survivor Champ

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Florida State

Quote Originally Posted by tshile View Post
    No... They had the right information for the topic I was discussing and were the first link.

I have no real opinion on how credible they are in general. All the sudden that matters? I see blogs and fox news op ed's uses quit often around here...

And that's your problem! Fox News is not Media Matters. Fox Opinions may be completely slanted, but Fox News is not what you guys keep trying to suggest it is.

But Goal, not a single baby boomer is under 55 now, so if this ever got passed not a single baby boomer would be need to worry because it would be those who are 55 when the bill passed. And the now is like tshile has suggested, stop robbing Peter to pay Paul!
    0 0 0 0

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Elephant View Post
    And that's your problem! Fox News is not Media Matters. Fox Opinions may be completely slanted, but Fox News is not what you guys keep trying to suggest it is.

But Goal, not a single baby boomer is under 55 now, so if this ever got passed not a single baby boomer would be need to worry because it would be those who are 55 when the bill passed. And the now is like tshile has suggested, stop robbing Peter to pay Paul!
    A baby boomer is a person who was born during the demographic Post-World War II baby boom between the years 1946 and 1964

That means at the top end the Baby boomers are already in their 60's and about half of them are in the SS range.

Edit: and for what it's worth Tshille wrote FOX Op-Eds which hope is held to a different standard than FOX news.
    0 0 0 0

2016 BGO Survivor Champ

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Florida State

Quote Originally Posted by burgold View Post
    A baby boomer is a person who was born during the demographic Post-World War II baby boom between the years 1946 and 1964

That means at the top end the Baby boomers are already in their 60's and about half of them are in the SS range.

Edit: and for what it's worth Tshille wrote FOX Op-Eds which hope is held to a different standard than FOX news.
    OK, I am not sure when 1964 became the standard for Baby Boomers, but I was always under the impression it was the period after WWII that referred to the rise in births attributed to the return of soldiers from the war, not the genral population rise of the late 50's and early 60's. I was willing to take it 10 years after the war being a conservative number. It was never my understanding that my brother would be considered a baby boomer. But if you're going by wikipedia's definition they admit in the first paragraph it is subjective. It would be interesting to see when the Census Bureau broadened the definition.

I will also say that those on the tail end of that statistic need to be ready for an age increase and cuts. It has to come at some point and they need to be considered. But like I said in the beginning, it would likely be my generation that is first in line for an age increase and cuts.
    0 0 0 0

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Elephant View Post
    OK, I am not sure when 1964 became the standard for Baby Boomers, but I was always under the impression it was the period after WWII that referred to the rise in births attributed to the return of soldiers from the war. I was willing to take it 10 years after the war being a conservative number. It was never my understand that my brother would be considered a baby boomer. But if you're going by wikipedia's definition they admit in the first paragraph it is subjective. It would be interesting to see when the Census Bureau broadened the definition.
    Fair enough. I just grabbed the first demographic def. I saw. For what it's worth, I think I recall that span being the standard one for baby boomers, but I don't know exactly how it has been formalized.

Yeah, I'll suffer if the age range is upped too, but I do think it makes sence given the change in life expectancy and medical advances.
    0 0 0 0

2016 BGO Survivor Champ

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Florida State

Quote Originally Posted by burgold View Post
    Fair enough. I just grabbed the first demographic def. I saw. For what it's worth, I think I recall that span being the standard one for baby boomers, but I don't know exactly how it has been formalized.

I just don't remember it being so when I was growing up burg. I think I have a few years on you.
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    George Mason

edit: nvm. it's simply not worth it to go round and round in such a dumb conversation side tracking from the original topic which is an actually worthy one.
    Last edited by tshile; 08-12-12 at 01:04 PM.
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Florida Atlantic

Quote Originally Posted by tshile View Post
    edit: nvm. it's simply not worth it to go round and round on such a dumb topic side tracking from the original topic which is an actually worthy one.
    Its only okay if you use biased media as a source if its Fox news.
    Posted via BGO Mobile Device
    0 0 0 0

2016 BGO Survivor Champ

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Florida State

Quote Originally Posted by Lanky Livingston View Post

Ladies and gentlemen...another troll who has nothing to offer but a sarcastic remark! Lanky, some things are better left unsaid! You've used that same tired troll post at least 389 times!

And we all wonder why this forum devolves at times. Well, there you have it!

Thank you all for coming...I'm out!
    0 0 0 0

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    Army

Quote Originally Posted by Lanky Livingston View Post
    Tisk tisk Lanky. You call out people for posting comments like this, because they contribute nothing and derail the thread. If you're gonna do this, don't come back with guns blazing when it spirals out of control as an example of why you hate the PA. Be part of the solution.

And apparently you missed the part where El pointed out that Fox is obviously slanted. All media is slanted. But as he said, Fox is nowhere near as horrible as the left tries to portray it. They are a legitimate news source. The only reason people have devoted time to making sites and videos dogging Fox for their errors, is because nobody cares enough about the garbage coming from the leftist media to pay attention to the errors or waste time documenting them. If anyone thinks Fox is the only news source that has flubs, they're sorely mistaken. Every newspaper I have ever read in my life has a daily error correction segment. It happens.
    0 0 0 0

It's ok, I don't like you either.

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

[QUOTE=burgold;135479 I also like seeing it as a safety net versus a retirement fund. [/QUOTE]

you mean welfare.

just give me back what I put into the system and then sack the whole thing.
    Last edited by fansince62; 08-12-12 at 08:05 PM.
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    James Madison

I actually don't disagree with that, Al. This modern notion of retirement is just that, modern. I hope to God I don't retire and stop functioning when I'm 65 or whatever. Hopefully I am working far into my 70's, because I want to, not because I have to.
    0 0 0 0

OLine. DLine. Secondary.

User Tag List