• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Could Griffin's comments be taken the wrong way, and used as bulletin material ?

Fear The Spear

The Legend
Reaction score
Griffin's post-game comment, "Practice is a lot harder than games" could possibly be construed as an insult to opposing teams. Do you think they will take it that way, and use it against him ?

Only in division games when you face the opponent in another game in the future.

Griffin's post-game comment, "Practice is a lot harder than games" could possibly be construed as an insult to opposing teams. Do you think they will take it that way, and use it against him ?

I think that other players know that Shanny has been throwing everything but the kitchen sink at him in practice. So, facing a vanillia D in the first preseason game would seem easier then the exotic stuff that's been dialed up at home.

I wouldn't worry too much about other teams being insulted. I have a feeling he'll be able to back up the statement in the not too distant future, no matter who we're playing. With a solid line in front of him, he's golden.

From just the headline, yes, this is going to piss off the New York Giants D-line.

But anyone who reads the article will understand why he said it. He wasn't complimenting our defense or the intensity of the practices, but was instead referring to fact that our defense is told every play before the offense runs it.

When the opposing team doesn't know the plays, a lot more space opens up and it becomes easier.

Kudos to Shanahan for running it that way.

Nah, I don't think so. If we played the Bills again it would definitely be bulletin board material, but for any other team... nah. Griffin said that this game was easier than the practices he's had so far. That's insulting to the Bills, but not anyone else.

Though, I guess it could be motivating for his next opponent to show him what a "real" NFL game was all about.

Bulletin material doesn't matter that much in the pros. Taking a Heisman trophy winner down matters more. They will be motivated to do their best against him all year, bulletin board material or no bulletin board material.

Griff mentioned in one of his pressers that part of the ambiguity of live action was of how things would look relative to practice.

He specifically brought up how "cluttered" everything was in practice (defense knowing the what was happening) and was curious how it would be in games where no such knowlege was available to the defense.

He apparently saw things open up during the game and said same, thus it was easier in his mind.

As far as how his comment’s "affect"..... screw 'em.

If comments of that ilk are needed for motivation beyond a high school group then that group ain't going to be around long.

What I do take from those comments is that Griff might be ahead of the curve when it comes for the game slowing down for him.

But..

We should have a better sample size next game and the Bears might tweak things a little during the game to see how he adjusts.

well it doesnt hurt that the other team isnt wearing the same color uniforms... even if one is in red and the other is in white in practice and the defense also wear the little orange caps on their helmets, but it's all kind of mashed together. When he whips his head around or he's looking downfield, there is an obvious contrast in what his eyes pick up

Last edited:
well it doesnt hurt that the other team isnt wearing the same color uniforms... even if one is in red and the other is in white in practice and the defense also wear the little orange caps on their helmets, but it's all kind of mashed together. When he whips his head around or he's looking downfield, there is an obvious contrast in what his eyes pick up

I never looked at it that way. Those blue jerseys do stand out [checks schedule to make sure we don't play the Chiefs or 49ers this season :paranoid:]

No.

There's an old saying in the military - 'train hard, fight well'.

Griffin was referring to being able to step out there and be ready to play well because of all the sweat it took to get there.

My guess is that Griffin knows more of the Redskins playbook and its nuances now than Donovan McNabb learned in a year and a half.

Hasn't Cooley been saying this for years? How he hates practice because its so much harder than games? I think this is a pretty common sentiment for athletes of all skill levels; I remember hating practice but loving games because practice sucked the big one, and was MUCH harder.

out of context. RG was stating that...relative to the Buf game....he was seeing all manner of blitzes and defensive movement in practice that prepped him much more than the vanilla stuff Buf employed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.