• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

What language should I learn?

renaissance

The 1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Alma Mater
Minnesota
What language should I learn? - Russian it is!

I've decided I want to take some language classes.

I'm trying to decide between Chinese and Russian. They are both very valuable in this day and age, and I believe both would be equally challenging bc they require learning a new alphabet.

I'd like to visit both countries some day, so that's unfortunately not a deciding factor. As it is, I don't interact with either language at work or anything, so that's also not a deciding factor.

So, any random opinions or thoughts that might help inform my decision?

Oh yea, and both classes are at the same time on the same nights, at the same school, so that's not a deciding factor either. Haha

Ok I'm going to throw out French and German as some easier options, too. Though the times for the German class don't really work for me. French does, though.

So French, Russian, or Chinese? :)

I already speak some Spanish, btw, but don't want to take classes for it right now because I could just learn that from my boyfriend and his family :)

Last edited:
go with chinese. the real question is cantonese or mandarin.

my understanding is mandarin is the more popular of the two, but from people I know who have learned and spent time over there cantonese is the 'better' language (thats completely subjective). it's the more glamorous and elegant language of the two.

to give you an idea when they shoot films over there and need an actor who speaks cantonese they can't find one, so they take a mandarin actor and they butcher the cantonese language (obviously we can't tell the difference, but cantonese speakers can).

i would go with cantonese, but i certainly understand the utility of mandarin and why someone would pick it.

don't waste your time with russian or french. you'll be disappointed* compared to one of the chinese dialects :)

*that is to say i know i'd be disappointed, i don't really know you so how would i know if you would be disappointed? :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm trying to decide between Chinese and Russian. They are both very valuable in this day and age, and I believe both would be equally challenging bc they require learning a new alphabet.

Well, considering you could not spell "because" I would suggest first starting with learning English, and only then, start thinking about Chinese or Russian. I KID, I KID :)

Chinese is the fastest growing language in universities across the nation. I took Arabic thinking that was the hottest language but it's only 2nd. Or at least it was 4 years ago when I was in school. Bewtween the 2 you mentioned Chinese would probably be the more valuable.

Are you still going in the service? I think you said you were. More hispanics are signing up than any other culture, so that might be an option. Plus it is a very easy language to learn.

From my experience, speaking Spanish and the difficulty I had w/ Arabic, learn it as young as you can, like now, and find a native speaker with whom to speak the language. You can practice with tapes or some program all you want, but practice with a native is the best way to learn any language.

F that!

WOLVERINES!!!!!!
Posted via BGO Mobile Device
Lol, I take it you watched Red Dawn today too? :laugh:

My best friend of over 20 years is from Beijing. When I was trying to decide on a valuable language, he told me that the best advice he could give me is not to bother with Mandarin, because you will never learn enough for it to matter. I have also been told by dozens of people that the most worthless thing in the world is Rosetta Stone.

Took a while to make the decision, but my Russian 101 class starts on Monday!

World Cup 2018 here I come!!!

I can say I didn't see that one coming. Just out of curiosity, what made you decide on Russian?

Agree with others, learn Murican first and foremost.

I thought German was pretty difficult to learn, there's like 17 syllables to say hello. I personally would like to learn Latin but it would be useless nowadays.

Out of your choices i'd def say Chinese would be a safe one for future use. Is there different dialects or is there just Chinese?

Seems i don't pay attention to previous posts and Russian wins. You can always use the Yakov Smirnoff version...."In Russia language learns you".

Chinese. They own us anyway. Might be good to get a jump on their language for when they fully take over our country.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.