• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Sad Observation By Mrs. 06 Yesterday

I hear you Pravda however I'm hoping that Snyder will get a jolt in the next year or two that would work. What might that be, you ask? I'd like to see the valuation of the franchise drop below the $1B mark. I think that would be enough to scare him into either selling the team or taking the extraordinary step (in his mind anyway) of hiring someone to run football operations and staying out of their way.

The possibility of losing that kind of valuation seems remote but if the fans stop buying Skins crap and ticket sales slack off, it could happen. At least that's what I keep telling myself.
I gotta think that suits against season ticket holders to pay up (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dy...9/02/AR2009090203887.html?hpid=topnews&sub=AR) -- and the PR nightmare from other similar moves (obstructed seats, forcing people to pay with MasterCard--which, I know was overturned, etc.) has to catch up to him and the team.

The calls from the Redskins asking people to buy season tickets are coming more and more fiercely as I've received over 5 mailings and several phone calls in the last six months (and this was after I turned them down in 2007 and 2008!)...

However, standing in the way of real depreciation are too many fans "bleeding burgundy and gold" without any sense of what they're helping perpetuate.

I love the Redskins as much as many of those guys, but I'm not going to financially support the Snyder regime, particularly in the face of continued mediocrity.

And I think the crumbling of the "die hard" mentality, which is partially or well on its way depending on who you ask, is going to catch up with the team--and fast--particularly if things don't improve (which I don't think will happen).

Washington is a football town, but it's already born close to 20 years of consistent mediocrity punctuated by some surprise wins, but we've never been close to a dominant team in that time span.

And fans have expected, year after year, to see dominance and a return to NFC superiority and many of them have financially supported the team with those false expectations in mind.

"Maybe next year," "We can turn this around," "With Gibbs, we'll get another Lombardi."

If people were more rational about their attention to the 'Skins, I do think it would accelerate change...and now, it's becoming harder and harder to foster false expectations and maintain those delusions that the Redskins are something close to what they were in the 80s in the face of such a steady stream of poor results.

---

(Caveating this a bit--I can't really claim real "rationality" in sharing ownership of a site solely dedicated to the Redskins that's called "BG Obsession", can I? :))

You would hope that yesterday's loss to the Lions would be the day that this franchise looks itself in the mirror, re-evaluates operations with a fine tooth comb, and uses it as a major sign to rebuild this team from the ground up.

To me, the only way that Dan Snyder will ever show maturity as an owner is if he makes a long-term commitment towards a true rebuild, as opposed to his scheme of retooling.

There is nothing wrong with saying that we are willing to endure another 5 years of losing, and losing bad if necessary, if it means the prospect of building a long-term winner that has a realistic chance of competing for the conference crown each season, in my opinion.

I have been clamouring for the franchise to embrace this philosophy for the past three years now.

I honestly can come here and say that for the first time in my 21 years of being a Redskins fan, I wanted my team to lose a game yesterday.

I'm hoping that the loss to Detroit might finally open the franchise's eyes up to just how bad things have got, and just how desperately we need a REAL solution.

I think I saw a twilight zone episode about something like this. It had to do with the difference between creators vs money makers. Dan Snyder has alot of money.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.