A Burgundy and Gold Obsession
'Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.' - Groucho Marx

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Disagree Disagree:  0
Post of the Year Post of the Year:  0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Florida Atlantic

Default When a Congressional Recess is not a Recess

This is a blog from Fox News, which means fs62 & Extreme's heads will explode after reading it.

(took this from the levity thread, decided to start a new one).

Congress goes on vacation for a month, starting today, even though the Dems defeated the adjournment bill (yes, the DEMS). They'll have their silly pro forma sessions that aren't really doing anything at all.

These people don't even deserve to have their weekends off at this point, and they're going to disappear until September 10th. Great!

http://politics.blogs.foxnews.com/20...ess-not-recess
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    George Mason

Hah. I wish one side would threaten to bring legislation so all of the would actually have to stay around just in case.

They certainly do not deserve a 5 week vacation. What a pathetic joke our Representatives have become.
    0 0 0 0

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    Army

Quote Originally Posted by Lanky Livingston View Post
    This is a blog from Fox News, which means fs62 & Extreme's heads will explode after reading it.
    Any blog, from any source, no matter what it says, will never get me riled up

That being said, since you used this as you source, I shall point out the most telling thing from it.....

Democrats carefully anticipated this vote in an effort to make Republicans look bad and to construe a talking point. House Minority Whip Steny Hoyer (D-MD) came down to the House floor and indicated that the body had just received the August Adjournment Resolution from the Senate. Thus, there would be one more vote coming. And then Hoyer kept his entire caucus together as all 187 of his members in the chamber voted no. Meantime, 150 Republicans voted to adjourn. Few realized the game was afoot and were already streaming out the door.

Democrats were able to document a vote where Republicans voted to leave, while there's a laundry list of unfinished business on the table. Fixing the tax cuts. Undoing mandatory defense cuts known as "sequestration." Salvaging the Postal Service. Approving a farm bill. You name it.

The Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee (DCCC) and Democratic-leaning super PACs were watching - and ready to tee up ads to run against their Republican opponents.

A Fox News analysis of that vote revealed that there were 28 Republicans from swing districts who voted to adjourn. Democrats could then target those members. Some obvious ones include Reps. Charlie Bass (R-NH), Ann Marie Buerkle (R-NY), Adam Kinzinger (R-IL), Nan Hayworth (R-NY), Joe Walsh (R-IL), Dan Lungren (R-CA) and Michael Grimm (R-NY)
    It was all a game the Democrats are playing to try and make the Republicans look bad. Too bad for them that the Democrats in the Senate voted unanimously to adjourn, effectively watering down their plans to use this ruse to their advantage.

Gimmick politics always have been, and always will be a joke. The Democrats want to preach about unfinished business they claim the Republicans are walking out on? How about passing a budget? The Democrats have just proven with this underhanded tactic that they're as lame as ever. No biggie, nothing new. Same old, same old.
    0 0 0 0

It's ok, I don't like you either.

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Florida Atlantic

What exactly do you mean by "used this as a source?" I'm not writing a paper, and I'm not making any argument except that this Congress has been exceptionally bad. I think even you would agree with that, unless you're just straining to find something to argue about, similar to the Harry Reid thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Extreme View Post
    It was all a game the Democrats are playing to try and make the Republicans look bad. Too bad for them that the Democrats in the Senate voted unanimously to adjourn, effectively watering down their plans to use this ruse to their advantage.
    You're not paying attention - this is what politics has devolved into, on both sides.
    0 0 0 0

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    Army

Quote Originally Posted by Lanky Livingston View Post
    No thanks, I'll pass.
    0 0 0 0

It's ok, I don't like you either.

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Florida Atlantic

NVM...........................................
    Last edited by Lanky Livingston; 08-07-12 at 12:00 PM.
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Florida Atlantic

NVM........................................
    Last edited by Lanky Livingston; 08-07-12 at 12:00 PM.
    0 0 0 0