A Burgundy and Gold Obsession
'Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.' - Groucho Marx

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Disagree Disagree:  0
Post of the Year Post of the Year:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    Army

Default Sweet.....Obama Can Kiss At Least A Dozen Votes Goodbye

http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/...ty_ticket.html

He better pray this doesn't get traction
    0 0 0 0

It's ok, I don't like you either.

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Not necessarily related to the topic, but I heard Barr somewhat recently in an uneditted interview. I'm not sure if she's sane. Seriously.
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by burgold View Post
    Not necessarily related to the topic, but I heard Barr somewhat recently in an uneditted interview. I'm not sure if she's sane. Seriously.
    she's part of a long-standing Hollywood tradition: self-serving attention grabbers who crave the spotlight.
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    James Madison

Yup. Including Clint Eastwood, Adam Sandler, Tom Selleck, Chuck Norris, Alex Trebek... etc. The list goes on.
    0 0 0 0

OLine. DLine. Secondary.

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Florida Atlantic

Quote Originally Posted by Goaldeje View Post
    Yup. Including Clint Eastwood, Adam Sandler, Tom Selleck, Chuck Norris, Alex Trebek... etc. The list goes on.
    Charlton Heston (RIP), Elisabeth Hasselbeck, Fred Thompson, Ronald Reagan (RIP), Ahhhhhnold....
    0 0 0 0

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    Army

Really guys? I think you literally named every Conservative in Hollywood. The list of Liberals is millions long, you don't even go that route.
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    James Madison

The point is that painting with a broad brush doesn't always work.
    0 0 0 0

OLine. DLine. Secondary.

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    Army

I agree, but when a certain group of people is well known to be about pretty much the same, it isn't painting with a broad brush. If it was 50/50 or even close to it, I could see your point, but anyone who doesn't think Hollywood is at least 90% Liberal is kidding themselves.
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    George Mason

Quote Originally Posted by Extreme View Post
    I agree, but when a certain group of people is well known to be about pretty much the same, it isn't painting with a broad brush. If it was 50/50 or even close to it, I could see your point, but anyone who doesn't think Hollywood is at least 90% Liberal is kidding themselves.
    Considering 'hollywood' is made up of a ton of people, and that I haven't seen any report/analysis/real in depth research to support that claim, I'm not entirely sure you're correct; but i think the problem is with your claim.

I think 1% of Hollywood actually bothers to voice their political reasoning/affiliations to the public. I think people on this board would struggle to even name or recognize 25% of Hollywood - it's a pretty big industry.

If your claim is that 90% of the people in Hollywood who voice their political opinions/make political statements are 'Liberal' (which is a funny word to choose to use here, but moving on...) I would agree. But the way your claim is worded, I disagree. I think its a 'squeaky wheel gets the oil' situation and we have no real information of what '90% of Hollywood' actually thinks.

Quote Originally Posted by Goaldeje View Post
    The point is that painting with a broad brush doesn't always work.
    Goald. Dude. You gotta keep up. Painting with a broad brush is clearly acceptable when it supports your claim; in fact it is only unacceptable when it goes counter to your claim.
    0 0 0 0

2016 BGO Survivor Champ

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Florida State

Are you guys seriously trying to suggest that there is balance in Hollywood when it comes to political affiliation? Wow!
    0 0 0 0

The more things change...the more they stay the same. It's like deja vu all over again.

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    James Madison

Nope, not at all. Merely pointing out that not all Hollywood elite types are liberals, that's all.
    0 0 0 0

OLine. DLine. Secondary.

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    George Mason

Quote Originally Posted by Elephant View Post
    Are you guys seriously trying to suggest that there is balance in Hollywood when it comes to political affiliation? Wow!
    No. I'm suggesting that the % of people in Hollywood that are vocal about their political beliefs is much smaller than people indicate they believe it to be due to the enormous size of the industry; and that trying to project their views onto the entire industry is the equivalent of saying that all members of the tea party are racists because a few people have held up a controversial sign at a random gathering that every major media outlet picked up on.

I have no idea how the majority of people in the hollywood industry align, and neither do you.

I'm also suggesting that if we just want to talk about the (relatively) few people who voice their political affiliation then I'm in agreement with you. Of the people who voice their political affiliation, I think 90% is a pretty good guess, though it is just a guess.

There's a fine line between what you're saying I'm claiming and what I'm actually claiming, I'm hoping that I'm being clear but I recognize I have a tendency to pollute my thoughts with my ramblings in my posts on this board
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    George Mason

To give you a different viewpoint El, a large part of our auto industry belongs to a labor union. Labor unions by default align with the democratic party in almost all cases. But I would not take that to mean that 90% of the people in the auto industry are 'Liberals', and I think to claim that would be foolish.

First, not everyone in the auto industry is in a labor union. Second, belonging to the labor union (which I believe is forced for laborers in the auto industry?) does not mean you're a 'Liberal', it simply means you work as laborer in the auto industry.

I think Hollywood is a very similar situation. For every Sean Pen and George Clooney out there there are hundreds of camera men/women, writers, stage hands, extras, etc with political beliefs/affiliations we can't even begin to make judgments about.
    0 0 0 0

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tshile View Post
    To give you a different viewpoint El, a large part of our auto industry belongs to a labor union. Labor unions by default align with the democratic party in almost all cases. But I would not take that to mean that 90% of the people in the auto industry are 'Liberals', and I think to claim that would be foolish.

First, not everyone in the auto industry is in a labor union. Second, belonging to the labor union (which I believe is forced for laborers in the auto industry?) does not mean you're a 'Liberal', it simply means you work as laborer in the auto industry.

I think Hollywood is a very similar situation. For every Sean Pen and George Clooney out there there are hundreds of camera men/women, writers, stage hands, extras, etc with political beliefs/affiliations we can't even begin to make judgments about.

I think this is true. However when people say "Hollywood" they generally mean the actors and actresses, and not the include the grips, caterers, accountants, producers, special effects guys, annimators, cgi folks, etc.

When looking at the actors, writers, and directors only... I think it's fair to say that "Hollywood" is pretty liberal. I often wonder if it is neurological... if that thing which makes you more creative also tends to make you more liberal.
    0 0 0 0

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    Army

when people say "Hollywood" they generally mean the actors and actresses, and not the include the grips, caterers, accountants, producers, special effects guys, annimators, cgi folks, etc.
    Exactly. Why anyone would even begin to think otherwise is beyond me really.

When looking at the actors, writers, and directors only... I think it's fair to say that "Hollywood" is pretty liberal. I often wonder if it is neurological... if that thing which makes you more creative also tends to make you more liberal.
    I don't think creativity and Liberalism go hand in hand at all. It's been said by many that Hollywood is heavily controlled by the Jewish community, who are typically heavily Liberal. It's also been made clear by many actors over the years that if you dare to speak anything that could be misconstrued as anti-Liberal in Hollywood, you can kiss your career goodbye, unless you're someone like DeNiro that has too much pull for his opinions to bother people.
    0 0 0 0

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Extreme View Post
    I don't think creativity and Liberalism go hand in hand at all. It's been said by many that Hollywood is heavily controlled by the Jewish community, who are typically heavily Liberal..
    Be wary of this. A lot of the people who say this are the same people who say that the Jews own all the banks and control all the money behind the scenes. The root of this is a lot of anti-semetic scapegoating. There are jews in the film industry and banking, but they hardly secretly control the world.

As for blacklisting, I believe this is also typically myth. Else, how could we explain the long career of Mel Gibson, Charlie Sheen, and others who are by and large terrible people. These days, the people who are blacklisted from what I understand are more people who are horrible divas and pains in the arse on the set. Dustin Hoffman got hurt by this, for example, he is apparently a nice guy, but a pain in the butt to work with... very picky and exacting... and thus, many don't want to work with him. He still gets work because he can be very good... but it's a balancing act between talent and headache.
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    George Mason

So now we're going to exclude the vast majority of the people who belong to a group and focus on the extreme minority because to do otherwise calls into question our ridiculous claims?

Got it. Not sure why I bothered to interject. This kind of thing is par for the course around here it seems.
    0 0 0 0

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    Army

So now we're going to exclude the vast majority of the people who belong to a group and focus on the extreme minority because to do otherwise calls into question our ridiculous claims?

Got it. Not sure why I bothered to interject. This kind of thing is par for the course around here it seems.
    No t, what was ridiculous was thinking there's anyone that is referring to every person from intern to superstar when talking about Hollywood.

What's par for the course is someone throwing in absurdity like you're attempting to do when trying to make their point. You know, just like when people complain about Washington.....they're complaining about lawmakers - not pages, interns, etc. To think otherwise is what's truly ridiculous.
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    George Mason

Somehow I think your attitude would change if you were a member of the group being generalized by outsiders using a very small but very vocal part of the group.

Funny how that works.
    0 0 0 0

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    Army

Somehow I think your attitude would change if you were a member of the group being generalized by outsiders using a very small but very vocal part of the group.

Funny how that works.
    No, actually I wouldn't. Just like when I worked at a prison, I didn't go around telling people I was a member of the justice system.

Just as I doubt a guy who fetches coffee for Angelina Jolie's assistant considers himself Hollywood.

And it doesn't matter if the actors, directors and producers only make up a small portion of Hollywood (they make up a far more significant portion than you think, and they are in charge of hiring the people you're rallying for). They have all the power. Which means they control everything. Funny how that works.
    0 0 0 0