A Burgundy and Gold Obsession
'Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.' - Groucho Marx

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Disagree Disagree:  0
Post of the Year Post of the Year:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    James Madison

Default Harry Reid is Terrible

0 0 0 0

OLine. DLine. Secondary.

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    George Mason

I thought about posting that.

I always laugh when conservatives attack jon stewart for being biased in his show, or people who watch it as being mindless liberal drones. they clearly do not watch his show at all.

i thoroughly enjoy watching him embarrass people on both sides of the aisle on a regular basis
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tshile View Post
    I thought about posting that.

I always laugh when conservatives attack jon stewart for being biased in his show, or people who watch it as being mindless liberal drones. they clearly do not watch his show at all.

i thoroughly enjoy watching him embarrass people on both sides of the aisle on a regular basis

first off....it's his writers who provide the material

second...care to do an empirical study? I have no doubt whatsoever that you will find Daily leans well to the Left over the course of time. not even close.
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    George Mason

Quote Originally Posted by fansince62 View Post
    first off....it's his writers who provide the material

second...care to do an empirical study? I have no doubt whatsoever that you will find Daily leans well to the Left over the course of time. not even close.
    re: your first point -
    and where did anyone claim otherwise? seriously, why is that even worth mentioning? is there someone who doesn't understand that the show has writers that help create the show?

as for the rest...
    lol an empirical study of a comedy show that's programming revolves around political satire?

how about you just watch it for a few weeks? I've been watching it for years.

question fansince - how many times have you watched an entire episode of the daily show? just curious. you like to throw around claims about it whenever the subject is brought up, so i'm curious what your actual experience is with it.

most of the people i hear criticize it haven't even watched it. what's funny is i see the same thing with the people who criticize the O'Reily factor. it's amazing how not actually watching the show you're criticizing leads to sounding like a fool when you talk about it.
    Last edited by tshile; 08-03-12 at 09:56 AM.
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    James Madison

Of course it leans left. However, Stewart has an interesting Libertarian bent that pops out from time to time. He is biased, but he still manages to give a better interview than most of the rest of the media (most of the time).
    0 0 0 0

OLine. DLine. Secondary.

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

opinions vary!

find him superficial.....what he does is easy. he doesn't have to maintain any real depth of knowledge in any field of endeavor.
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    George Mason

opinions vary!

find him superficial.....what he does is easy. he doesn't have to maintain any real depth of knowledge in any field of endeavor.
    you avoided the question though!

how many episodes have you watched in their entirety?

0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I wasn't asked any question.

but to placate you....I don't set a regular schedule cuz I already know the message. what I do is periodically surf through all this junk...including MSNBC as well as Daily and the various talk shows (when I have the time) just to absorb in the 2 mins it takes what the latest message is and to gauge how much coordination is happening between all these outlets. they're all lemmings tacking to the latest faux crisis/social injustice.

daily throwing a dart at Reid is silly....

what? say it aint so Jon! you just discovered that this guy is an incompetent a-hole who has been violating all the canons of leadership and public service for years now? gee whizz.....I can't imagine why you haven't sounded this theme on a regular basis.....
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    George Mason

I wasn't asked any question.

but to placate you....I don't set a regular schedule cuz I already know the message. what I do is periodically surf through all this junk...including MSNBC as well as Daily and the various talk shows (when I have the time) just to absorb in the 2 mins it takes what the latest message is and to gauge how much coordination is happening between all these outlets. they're all lemmings tacking to the latest faux crisis/social injustice.
    You were absolutely asked a question:
    question fansince - how many times have you watched an entire episode of the daily show? just curious. you like to throw around claims about it whenever the subject is brought up, so i'm curious what your actual experience is with it.
    i then asked it a second time.

You still haven't answered it. you're not placating anything, you're dodging.
    I'm curious how many episodes you have actually watched. You have such strong opinions of it, I'd like to see how you arrived at them.
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Florida Atlantic

Actually, Stewart writes a good portion of his material. Also, if you've heard him speak outside that venue, he's not just a comedy central puppet, he actually knows his stuff. Its Just easier to pretend he's some liberal media talking head.
    Posted via BGO Mobile Device
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

I like Stewart a lot. Yes he's liberal. He doesn't claim to not be.

However, he's not afraid to call out liberals who deserve it. He's not afraid to have conservatives on his show, from Newt Gingrich to Rand Paul to Bill Kristol and Bill O'Reilly. As a liberal he'll challenge their ideas but he always lets them respond and treats them with respect. Unlike most partisans, he's not afraid of the Other Side, and he's not mindless. His interviews are very good.

And when he does go after a liberal, you know its a legitimate gripe.

Conservatives have similar mouthpieces. I like O'Reilly for similar reasons. Grandy and Andy in the morning on 630 here are very good conservatives hosts.

Rather than just waiving our hands and summarily dismissing the few who are willing to understand and engage those across the aisle, we should be encouraging them.
    Last edited by Henry; 08-03-12 at 03:56 PM.
    0 0 0 0

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    Army

Quote Originally Posted by Goaldeje View Post
    For me why? Not sure I get the message.

I never claimed to be anti-comedy. In fact, I have said many times on this site that I am a fan not only of his, but of the show. I love satire. What I don't love, is people who thinks what he's doing is legitimate news. It isn't. It's on Comedy Central for a reason.

Jon Stewart is one of the smartest people alive, which I have also said many times on this site. It's not an opinion, I read one time that he has one of the highest documented IQs.

Does this clip prove anything or make any point? Not really. He's not a talking head, he's not a journalist, he's not a member of the political media. He is a comedian who hosts a satire show on a cable comedy network.

If you're trying to imply that cracking a joke about someone who has been widely accepted as one of the worst people in the country by both sides is some sort of statement, it isn't. His show doesn't claim to be unbiased, and it doesn't have to be. It's comedy.

So if you're trying to use this as an example of the leftist media talking bad about the left, and I really hope you aren't, you'll have to do way better than a comedy show as an example. I was talking about legitimate real news sources.

Quote Originally Posted by Lanky Livingston View Post
    Actually, Stewart writes a good portion of his material.
    Unless you have some sort of evidence to back this up, it's a baseless claim. He is a writer on the show, but has described his position in the production of the show aside from hosting as almost entirely editing work. If he considers the majority of his job editorial work, not sure how he writes most of his own material.

Also, if you've heard him speak outside that venue, he's not just a comedy central puppet, he actually knows his stuff.
    This is absolutely true. He knows the majority of his audience is Liberal college kids, so he panders almost solely to them. Then when you see him on other shows, he isn't a bull****ter - he really does know what he's talking about.

Its Just easier to pretend he's some liberal media talking head.
    He's not. he's a comedian. The show is purely for comedy and entertainment, a statement he has made himself many times. The problem is, a lot of mindless drones watch the show and believe it is actual legitimate news. A Gallup poll was done that showed over 12% of his audience says they watch the show for the news headlines and in-depth reporting. That sounds like a small amount, until you realize he has 2.5 million+ viewers every day. That means that there are at least 250,000 people watching his show who are out of touch with reality, and that's only counting the ones Neilsen actually tracks.
    0 0 0 0

It's ok, I don't like you either.

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    James Madison

Dude. Calm down. Paranoid much? You hate Harry Reid. The clip shows what a jackass Harry Reid is. I thought you would enjoy it. Not challenging you, promise. Settle down, there.
    0 0 0 0

OLine. DLine. Secondary.

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    Army

Dude. Calm down. Paranoid much? You hate Harry Reid. The clip shows what a jackass Harry Reid is. I thought you would enjoy it. Not challenging you, promise. Settle down, there.
    I did enjoy it. I didn't think you were challenging me. I was calm as can be, not sure how you deciphered anything other than that. Paranoid? About what? Your response baffles me.
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You were absolutely asked a question:

i then asked it a second time.

You still haven't answered it. you're not placating anything, you're dodging.
    I'm curious how many episodes you have actually watched. You have such strong opinions of it, I'd like to see how you arrived at them.

BS...I told you I surf the shows. You can put two and two together and understand what that means. I don't have to watch an entire show to get a sense for the depth and real objectives. the Daily show is not a doctoral dissertation......it's sarcasm with video/imagery props positioned for the crowd that thinks it knows what's going on based on the latest Facebook/Twitter posts......but...in my experience.....doesn't know XXXX about how things really work.
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Actually, Stewart writes a good portion of his material. Also, if you've heard him speak outside that venue, he's not just a comedy central puppet, he actually knows his stuff. Its Just easier to pretend he's some liberal media talking head.
    Posted via BGO Mobile Device

no he is.

so...what exactly...would you turn to the psychology major for advice on? monetary policy? national defense? how to build a bridge? securing the Internet? he's more or less like Obama....no real depth/experience where it counts. he's a comedian. and very much a windbag.

but...yea....the Universe of Liberal pigs tends to be populated by shallow, inexperienced "intellectuals"....anxious to use the levers of power to control how the rest of us live....all the while partaking of a whole host of perks they criticize others for enjoying. does that cover it?
    Last edited by fansince62; 08-03-12 at 10:23 PM.
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    James Madison

Quote Originally Posted by Extreme View Post
    I did enjoy it. I didn't think you were challenging me. I was calm as can be, not sure how you deciphered anything other than that. Paranoid? About what? Your response baffles me.
    Sigh. Go reread your own post in response. Sure reads to me like you thought I was posting the clip to make a point. I wasn't. I was posting it to make for Harry Reid, because JS is right, he is a Terrible, Terrible person. And I thought you would enjoy that, because your hatred for Harry Reid is well documented. That's all.

EDIT: I guess I won't be nice to conservatives anymore. Apparently, this is construed as some sort of an attack or something.
    0 0 0 0

OLine. DLine. Secondary.

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Im trying to figure out who said he wasnt a comedian, or how that somehow takes away from the fact that he's making fun of Harry Reid.

Posted With Tapatalk
    0 0 0 0

Subscribe to our BGO Mailing List

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    James Madison

Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    Im trying to figure out who said he wasnt a comedian, or how that somehow takes away from the fact that he's making fun of Harry Reid.

Posted With Tapatalk
    Yeah. Harry Reid is terrible. I thought by posting the vid we could all agree on that. Instead, we're debating the Daily Show's place in American media.

Double sigh.
    0 0 0 0

OLine. DLine. Secondary.

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    Army

Sigh. Go reread your own post in response. Sure reads to me like you thought I was posting the clip to make a point. I wasn't. I was posting it to make for Harry Reid, because JS is right, he is a Terrible, Terrible person. And I thought you would enjoy that, because your hatred for Harry Reid is well documented. That's all.
    Generally when someone is mentioned by name/called out in a post, especially in the PA, there's a history of it not being for friendly reasons. Now that you've explained yourself, it makes more sense.

You have to see it from my point of view though. It didn't seem harmless. It seemed like an attempt to inflame, especially since you were one of the posters who had most recently been jumping on me if I so much as blinked.

There was no reason to believe it was intended as friendly, I hope you can see that from where I am. I apologize for assuming. And Harry Reid is a piece of ****
    0 0 0 0