A Burgundy and Gold Obsession
'Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.' - Groucho Marx

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Disagree Disagree:  0
Post of the Year Post of the Year:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2016 BGO Survivor Champ

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Florida State

Default Taxation Out of Control

The Summer Olympics thread has taken an unexpected turn, so I figured we could bring the discussion over here.
    0 0 0 0

The more things change...the more they stay the same. It's like deja vu all over again.

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Florida Atlantic

The TAX is too damn high!
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Florida Atlantic

Mike, I made my arguments pretty clear in the other thread - would you like me to copy & paste them here, or are you going to continue to ignore them?

We have a fundamental disagreement - you think Olympians are "serving their country," I think that's a ridiculous notion. We will never agree.

EDIT: I would like to add - anyone can stop talking about any topic whenever they want, especially when there is a major impasse as there is in this discussion. If this offends you, maybe don't bring up controversial topics anymore?
    0 0 0 0

2016 BGO Survivor Champ

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Florida State

Quote Originally Posted by Lanky Livingston View Post

EDIT: I would like to add - anyone can stop talking about any topic whenever they want, especially when there is a major impasse as there is in this discussion. If this offends you, maybe don't bring up controversial topics anymore?

Yeah, we know how difficult this ca be for some of us.

Myself included!
    0 0 0 0

The more things change...the more they stay the same. It's like deja vu all over again.

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Florida Atlantic

Quote Originally Posted by Elephant View Post
    Yeah, we know how difficult this ca be for some of us.

LOL. It can be painful!
    0 0 0 0

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Minnesota

For the record I was not trying to argue for or against the policy, I just wanted to note that the guy's statement sounded horrible to me and implied that nobody else works hard or dedicates their lives to what they do.
    0 0 0 0

The challenge ahead of us is never as great as the power behind us.

2016 BGO Survivor Champ

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Florida State

Here's my take on the whole taxation issue with our athletes in the Olympics. I do not believe they should be taxed 67%, in fact I don't think they should be taxed on that at all. I heard someone suggest they will make a mint on endorsements after if they've won gold. Well, yes and that small fortune, only some will make, will get taxed. Let this small amount go untaxed and get them when they actually earn some money. This is just over reaching.

As for Rubio creating legislation, I don't like the fact that he is taking a knee jerk reaction to this and creating more legislation. That's what is wrong with Washington now! They can't "fix" everything! Just like gun legislation would not have stopped that kid from killing those people at the movie theater in Colorado. We can not legislate everything! So Rubio should have kept his mouth shut. This single act should keep Romney from choosing him as the VP on his ticket.
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Florida Atlantic

Mike, you are flat out wrong in your argument.

1) Olympians compete for many reasons, only one of which is maybe to represent their country. I bet if you took a poll of athletes in Olympic village, the primary reason would be to be the best in the world at their particular sport.

2) The days of Amateurs only in the Olympics are long gone - corporate and private sponsorships are extremely common these days. Anywhere you see a Nike logo on an Olympic uniform, you can bet that athlete is being compensated by them. Have you seen a Subway commercial recently? Apollo Ono is a spokesperson for them now. He probably got millions of dollars for that.

3) Comparing Olympians to the military is insulting to the military. The armed forces put their lives in danger every day; the closest thing Olympians have to worry about is maybe a concussion if they pull a Greg Louganis on the diving board. But the comparison is invalid, because the military FIGHTS WARS. Wars! With guns and death! When one person's opponent is an Iraqi with an AK-47 and the other person's opponent is a good breast-stroker, they are not comparable.
    0 0 0 0

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Minnesota

People in the military also pay taxes unless they are deployed.
    0 0 0 0

2016 BGO Survivor Champ

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Florida State

I don't know Lanky, most of the athletes who are being interviewed after they win are saying how great it is to represent their country.
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Florida Atlantic

I don't know Lanky, most of the athletes who are being interviewed after they win are saying how great it is to represent their country.
    Not saying it isn't a motivation, but being the best of the best is primary to that.
    0 0 0 0

2016 BGO Survivor Champ

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Florida State

Quote Originally Posted by Lanky Livingston View Post
    Not saying it isn't a motivation, but being the best of the best is primary to that.
    In today's day and age, you're probably right. I am not saying this disparagingly, but it is represented in your posting on this issue. Your generation and younger have lost some of the American Exceptionalism that created a country first attitude in their Olympic dreams. That is the divide between you and Mike on this issue. He is a staunch supporter of America and the belief that Olympians are there to represent their country. You believe they represent themselves.

I believe the attitude has changed to represent your point of view on this, and your position seems to confirm it. Again, this isn't a dig toward you... It is what it is.
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Florida Atlantic

Quote Originally Posted by MikeSr619 View Post
    Im flat out wrong...haha. its a wonder people argue with you. I mean, youre so classy and respectful with your approach. How could anyone ever think you're pompous and arrogant?
    LMAO. After I told you I was agreeing to disagree several times, you continued to pester me to continue the argument, and now you're criticizing the way I did it? You're a real piece of work!

If you slap the bull, don't complain when you get the horns!

1, go do that poll. Let me know the results.
    Sure thing, as soon as I get corporate sponsorship for a free flight to London and free housing and food once I'm there.

2, some do have sponsors on their uniforms, sure. But most dont and dont make a dime. Do you think subway is knocking down the door of the bronze medal winner?
    That's why they're sponsored, so their logo is on the uniform. The Olympics are a $6B event.

3, serve for your country before you speak on comparing patriotism.
    I have to serve my country to understand patriotism? No, no I don't.
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    James Madison

In today's day and age, you're probably right. I am not saying this disparagingly, but it is represented in your posting on this issue. Your generation and younger have lost some of the American Exceptionalism that created a country first attitude in their Olympic dreams. That is the divide between you and Mike on this issue. He is a staunch supporter of America and the belief that Olympians are there to represent their country. You believe they represent themselves.

I believe the attitude has changed to represent your point of view on this, and your position seems to confirm it. Again, this isn't a dig toward you... It is what it is.
    What a brilliant post, sincerely. I think that cuts to the heart of this debate. Kudos to Mike for being in my (and Lanky's generation) and still having that incredible, undying patriotism. I would simply argue that Lanky's (and my own, most likely) is still absolutely there, just a little more nuanced. What gets me riled up is the idea that my patriotism isn't as good as someone else's, or that I don't love my country as much as someone else because we choose to express things differently.

I would love to go back and examine the historical antecedents of this debate, and how El's post fits in with patriotis attitudes over the past 50+ year. Maybe someone with a bit more... experience can contribute? Serv? Boone? Neo?

(love you guys - )

Anyway, great post, Brian.
    0 0 0 0

OLine. DLine. Secondary.

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Minnesota

It's not a black or white issue. The fact is, most athletes aren't dedicating their life to become the best in their sport in order to put America up on the podium, they're doing it to put themselves up on the podium as representatives of America.
    0 0 0 0

2016 BGO Survivor Champ

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Florida State

Quote Originally Posted by renaissance View Post
    It's not a black or white issue. The fact is, most athletes aren't dedicating their life to become the best in their sport in order to put America up on the podium, they're doing it to put themselves up on the podium as representatives of America.

And like I said Ren, when I was growing up athletes were doing it to put the US flag above everyone else's. I am not saying their was no self-motivation...just that seeing the American flag rise above all was the motivation for Gold. It's just not as important today as it was.
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Florida Atlantic

Quote Originally Posted by Goaldeje View Post
    What gets me riled up is the idea that my patriotism isn't as good as someone else's, or that I don't love my country as much as someone else because we choose to express things differently.
    Yep. There are many different forms of Patriotism, and one does not have to be gung-ho MURICA! to be patriotic.

I would love to go back and examine the historical antecedents of this debate, and how El's post fits in with patriotis attitudes over the past 50+ year. Maybe someone with a bit more... experience can contribute? Serv? Boone? Neo?

(love you guys - )

Anyway, great post, Brian.
    Yeah, it was a good post, and described the disconnect I was trying to point out very well.

Quote Originally Posted by renaissance View Post
    Or just to put themselves on the podium for their own fame and recognition.
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

who cares?

can't we talk about something infintely more intesesting: the rampant sex these folks are gettng in Olympic Village and how bonging up assists the Olympic quest????
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    James Madison

I've heard those rumors as well. More fun being an Olympian than I realized.
    0 0 0 0

OLine. DLine. Secondary.

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Florida Atlantic

Quote Originally Posted by fansince62 View Post
    who cares?

can't we talk about something infintely more intesesting: the rampant sex these folks are gettng in Olympic Village and how bonging up assists the Olympic quest????
    Deadspin had an article about this 2 or 4 years ago that was great. They go through an amazing number of condoms in one games...
    0 0 0 0