A Burgundy and Gold Obsession
Game 12 - Philly. No biggie. Just a season in the balance ...

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Disagree Disagree:  0
Post of the Year Post of the Year:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Default Cooley trade speculation

Bruce Allen said on ESPN980 this morning that he's been on the phone with the Raiders trying to hammer out a potential trade.

The Raiders under Reggie McKenzie haven't been strangers to the trade market. Already, they have dealt G Bruce Campbell to the Panthers for RB Mike Goodson and Louis Murphy also to the Panthers for a conditional draft choice. This time though, the Raiders may not be looking to get rid of dead weight. They, instead, might be looking to add. Which means the Redskins could be in luck.
    I can't see us trading him with one proven TE with off field issues, and one just transitioning from WR. Of course, the article is pure speculation... for now.

Could Chris Cooley be on the move?
    0 0 0 0

Subscribe to our BGO Mailing List

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    Virginia

This move has been expected for quite some time. We can get something of value for him.
    0 0 0 0

The simplicity in me is complicated.
    I live in my own little world, but that's ok. They know me here.
    Redskins Fan - Emeritus

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Ya, that's the general feeling, but I'm a bit gun shy. I could see Cooley having a career year, and us getting a tweener that's serviceable in exchange.
    0 0 0 0

Subscribe to our BGO Mailing List

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Florida Atlantic

I'd expect Cooley could fetch a serviceable RT. Hate to see him go as he's one of my favorite players, but I'm more interested in keeping RG3 upright at this point.
    Posted via BGO Mobile Device
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    James Madison

IMO, it would have to be a fairly significant upgrade to pull the trigger. Not that Cooley is indispensable, far from it, be he is coming off several injuries, and I don't see teams paying a premium for an injured player at this point. Getting a couple of prospects doesn't thrill me.

Now I haven't seen any of TC so far, and I have read about the concerns on the line, but I thought the line at the end of last year was more than respectable. I thought we had the makings of a solid to very good line, actually. I would be in favor of dumping Brown and filling in with some more young players and seeing if we could replicate what we saw at the end of last year once the injuries and rotation settled down.

I would consider Cooley for a decent draft pick or two, but not projects on the line.
    0 0 0 0

OLine. DLine. Secondary.

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    George Mason

i don't think we'll trade him because i don't think anyone else in the league has him rated nearly as high as we do.
    0 0 0 0

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Michigan State

Quote Originally Posted by Goaldeje View Post
    Now I haven't seen any of TC so far, and I have read about the concerns on the line, but I thought the line at the end of last year was more than respectable. I thought we had the makings of a solid to very good line, actually. I would be in favor of dumping Brown and filling in with some more young players and seeing if we could replicate what we saw at the end of last year once the injuries and rotation settled down.

I would consider Cooley for a decent draft pick or two, but not projects on the line.
    Kory Lichtensteiger is now injured and out for the preseason. The line is just getting weaker.
    0 0 0 0

Face piles of trials with smiles. It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Florida Atlantic

I thought he just had his knee scoped?
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    James Madison

Quote Originally Posted by China View Post
    Kory Lichtensteiger is now injured and out for the preseason. The line is just getting weaker.
    Getting weaker in preseason. Again, toward the end of the year, they looked solid. Not world beaters, but solid. If the injuries continue to mount ,I'll get concerned. Right now, everyone looks rusty on offense. Nothing to panic about yet.
    0 0 0 0

OLine. DLine. Secondary.

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

If we ever had any intention of trading Cooley, it's now or never. He still has value and he's an old player on a young team. I like Cooley and I wouldn't mind seeing him retire as a Redskin but if a team shows interest and we can get a 3rd or so for him, I think we have to pull the trigger.
    0 0 0 0

2016 BGO FF Champion
    Ugly American

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

I'd keep him. Dumb Dumb doesn't inspire confidence that he'll avoid the Reefer Madness.

I look for Cooley to have everyone saying, "Man! I'm glad we kept that guy!" by midseason.

"I wish we would have kept him" would suck, Big Time.
    0 0 0 0

"Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and **** the prom queen"

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ax View Post
    I'd keep him. Dumb Dumb doesn't inspire confidence that he'll avoid the Reefer Madness.

I look for Cooley to have everyone saying, "Man! I'm glad we kept that guy!" by midseason.

This season it doesn't matter though. We're not going anywhere. Whether or not we have a good season from our TE isn't going to make or break the season.

We're not done rebuilding. Ideally we need as much youth as possible. Of course Cooley could still be a good player. That's why he still has value. But for a team looking two or three years down the road his value is considerably lower.
    0 0 0 0

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Michigan State

Quote Originally Posted by Goaldeje View Post
    Getting weaker in preseason. Again, toward the end of the year, they looked solid. Not world beaters, but solid. If the injuries continue to mount ,I'll get concerned. Right now, everyone looks rusty on offense. Nothing to panic about yet.
    I'm not panicking, but with him out for the preseason he will come back rusty and won't have been able to put the time in with his teammates to build the continuity and get the line to gel. We know how important that can be for this unit, as with time together the line started looking solid at the end of last year. I just hope it doesn't take that long again for the line to come together.
    0 0 0 0

Face piles of trials with smiles. It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeSr619 View Post
    We're not going anywhere?

Lil early for doom and gloom, isn't it?
    It's not doom and gloom. We're rebuilding. I see that as a good thing. A GREAT thing. But the reality is that rebuilding teams with rookie QBs don't generally do much. Sure we may get exceedingly lucky, but we shouldn't PLAN for that. We should approach this season like it is, a rebuilding season. And in that case if we can get value for one of our 30 year-old players we take it. Period. Especially considering the picks we've given up to get Griffin. We need to start figuring out ways to get some picks back. This one would be a no-brainer.

That's my opinion, anyway.
    0 0 0 0

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

My problem with that is all too often we've kept a guy and said "Man, we could have gotten something for him a year ago." Nick
    0 0 0 0

2016 BGO FF Champion
    Ugly American

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    This season it doesn't matter though. We're not going anywhere.
    Kobayashi maru, huh? Fortunately, like James Tibirius Kirk, I don't believe in the "No-Win" scenario.

There is no reason you can't try to win now, while setting yourself up to win in the future as well.

None.
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Florida Atlantic

Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    It's not doom and gloom. We're rebuilding. I see that as a good thing. A GREAT thing. But the reality is that rebuilding teams with rookie QBs don't generally do much. Sure we may get exceedingly lucky, but we shouldn't PLAN for that. We should approach this season like it is, a rebuilding season. And in that case if we can get value for one of our 30 year-old players we take it. Period. Especially considering the picks we've given up to get Griffin. We need to start figuring out ways to get some picks back. This one would be a no-brainer.

That's my opinion, anyway.
    I'm with ya here, Henry. While I think they might actually make some noise as the offense begins to gel, I'm not expecting playoffs this year.
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Kobayashi maru, huh? Fortunately, like James Tibirius Kirk, I don't believe in the "No-Win" scenario.

There is no reason you can't try to win now, while setting yourself up to win in the future as well.

None.
    If you win now, you win with your youth. You win with Davis. You get Paul some reps. And if Griffin is the Greatest Thing Since Sliced Bread, so much the better. Thanks to Cooley then you have an extra pick to continue surrounding Griffin with talent that will be here for the next decade, rather than one or two more years.

I hate to keep repeating myself, but 'win now' got us into this mess. We really need to try a different road, and really do it rather than half-ass it.
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Florida Atlantic

Agree again. "Win now" is why we ended up with everyone's favorite Redskins Jamal Brown & Donovan McNabb, and probably why Shanahan kept Fatso around instead of taking the 3rd from Tennessee.
    0 0 0 0

2016 BGO FF Champion
    Ugly American

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

If done right, winning, both now, and in the future, is not that lofty a goal.

I see a dynamic two tight end attack as more beneficial, and less risky, than getting a 3rd/4th round pick that may fail to ever be a decent backup, much less a starter.
    0 0 0 0