A Burgundy and Gold Obsession
'Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.' - Groucho Marx

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Disagree Disagree:  0
Post of the Year Post of the Year:  0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    George Mason

Default [Back in Black] Romney and Obama can lie to us - but Nutella? They better watch out

Lewis Black is very liberal, but he does a pretty good job blasting both Romney and Obama in this one for their outright lies

When they start flipping through the commercials the text at the bottom highlights how misleading the ads are.

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/tu...-campaign-fibs

Couple of comments from my view:
    1 - What Romney said in the first clip is exactly the thing I like about him the most. His ability to acknowledge that holding a political office is about doing what the people you represent want, not what your party's platform dictates. We'd be better off if all politicians behaved this way

2 - I'd like to see a study on how effective these ads are. How many people get their information from them alone? I may go looking for a study one day when I have time, if someone knows of one and can link it I would greatly appreciate it

3 - The fact that there is absolutely no oversight from our government on these things worries me. I'm not sure how that oversight should work, and in general I'm not a big fan of the government's ability to do things right or in an unbiased way, but the fact that they can just outright lie about things really bothers me.

4 - I really respect people who hold very specific views (republican, democrat, liberal, conservative, libertarian, whatever) but are able to call BS on people that are in their 'camp' as well as ones who aren't. Kudos to Lewis Black, he could have easily made his segment strictly anti-Romney.

5 - LOL at no one should get the money from the settlement with Nutella
    Last edited by tshile; 07-26-12 at 08:22 PM.
    0 0 0 0

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    Army

I like Lewis Black, and while this was funny, this was nowhere near as balanced as I was lead to believe. The clip is 5:42 long. The first 4:00 were 100% nothing but slamming Romney. Then there was less than 30 seconds of not talking bad about Obama or Romney, just flashing clips of commercials with BS headlines. The rest was all a Nutella joke.

Seriously, I laughed, but he did not hide one ounce of his thick Liberalism.
    0 0 0 0

It's ok, I don't like you either.

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    George Mason

Oh I wasn't trying to suggest he hid his liberalism - sorry if I did. I was trying to point out that I'm well aware of his liberalism.

I must admit, I didn't do a minute-to-minute comparison of obama vs romney. Admittedly the opening of the segment is primary focused on the 'You didn't build that', which is probably what stacks the minutes on romney against the minutes on obama.

It's the part where he shows them tit-for-tat in the middle that I was mostly referring to.

I, personally, think the overall message was equally damning to both candidates (specifically the ads they are running).
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    George Mason

Quote Originally Posted by Extreme View Post
    The clip is 5:42 long. The first 4:00 were 100% nothing but slamming Romney. Then there was less than 30 seconds of not talking bad about Obama or Romney, just flashing clips of commercials with BS headlines.
    If we want to be specific, then we can. I went back and took some notes:
    0:25 - 2:38 - anti-romney
    2:38 - 3:02 - ant-obama
    3:20 - 4:00 - anti-romney
    4:05 - 4:40 - anti-both
    4:42 - 5:42 - Nutella

so 2 minutes and 53 seconds of strictly anti-romney
    24 seconds of strictly anti-obama
    35 seconds on both
    1 minute on Nutella stuff

The rest is filler/transitions.
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    James Madison

My favorite part was Nutella, ****ing brilliant.

Equally fun is Republicans proving they have no sense of humor.
    0 0 0 0

OLine. DLine. Secondary.

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    Army

Quote Originally Posted by Goaldeje View Post

Republicans have no sense of humor? Somewhere, W is saying you're full of ****

Bush was by far and away the funniest President of all time. A close second, which I only discovered when I read a detailed account about the lives of every President, was LBJ. Shocked me, only because he didn't seem like a humorous guy.

He once had a reporter in an amphibious vehicle with him on his ranch, back before anyone really knew what they were. He was ****faced drunk, and driving almost 100mph straight at a lake, acting like he wasn't paying attention. The whole time, the reporter was about to **** himself, and Johnson drove straight into the lake. Imagine the guy's surprise when they went over top of the water instead of into it

And there are more than enough funny Republicans.....Jeff Foxworthy, Chris Farley, Drew Carey, Dennis Miller, Kelsey Grammer, Adam Sandler, Vince Vaughn, etc.
    0 0 0 0

It's ok, I don't like you either.

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

How can you say that? we all find the Obama administration/term in office to be one big friggin joke!!!

we have had a rank amateur as President for 3+ years now.
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Florida Atlantic

LMAO...Ex and t breaking down the video by the SECOND to decide who had the most time! WOW.
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    James Madison

Quote Originally Posted by fansince62 View Post
    How can you say that? we all find the Obama administration/term in office to be one big friggin joke!!!

we have had a rank amateur as President for 3+ years now.
    Heh. Fair enough. I guess the last two presidents prove both parties have a sense of humor.
    0 0 0 0

OLine. DLine. Secondary.

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Florida Atlantic

"So to be clear, building a business is something you do all by yourself. But running a 4 minute mile, that takes a VILLAGE!"

Love Lewis Black!
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    George Mason

Quote Originally Posted by Lanky Livingston View Post
    LMAO...Ex and t breaking down the video by the SECOND to decide who had the most time! WOW.
    Well, i've learned here that making a statement isn't enough, you have to exhaustively prove your point. I could have easily said that he was exaggerating a bit on how the time broke down but then we'd go back and forth for two pages until someone did what I did.

So i just thought it'd be better that way.

"So to be clear, building a business is something you do all by yourself. But running a 4 minute mile, that takes a VILLAGE!"

Love Lewis Black!
    I found the reference to 800+ thousand in government provided, tax-exempt loans the better joke.
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Florida Atlantic

"First of all, nobody deserves that money, because anyone who thinks melted chocolate nut cream is a healthy way to start the day, is an IDIOT!"
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Florida Atlantic

Quote Originally Posted by tshile View Post
    Well, i've learned here that making a statement isn't enough, you have to exhaustively prove your point. I could have easily said that he was exaggerating a bit on how the time broke down but then we'd go back and forth for two pages until someone did what I did.

Fair enough! Making a statement is not enough, you have to also provide a link to Fox News (the only unbiased news source out there that is the only one reporting the news, everything else is 100% Obama proselytizing).
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    James Madison

"First of all, nobody deserves that money, because anyone who thinks melted chocolate nut cream is a healthy way to start the day, is an IDIOT!"
    Yep, my wife and I were watching the show and nearly passed out. ****ing hysterical.
    0 0 0 0

OLine. DLine. Secondary.

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Heh. Fair enough. I guess the last two presidents prove both parties have a sense of humor.
    no argument here.

one is off the scene. the other continues to do tremendous damage....but will hopefully be searching for new employment opportunities sooner rather than later.
    0 0 0 0