A Burgundy and Gold Obsession
'Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.' - Groucho Marx

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Disagree Disagree:  0
Post of the Year Post of the Year:  0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Florida Atlantic

Default Greek Olympic Athlete Kicked Off Team for Racist Tweet

Twitter has given everyone a voice - unfortunately, some choose to use it to spew garbage and many negative things. Voula Papachristou's dream is ruined, because she said a few choice words on a social network! Crazy...

That being said, she is not [physically] unattractive, if you care to Google her.

http://gawker.com/5929081/one-of-gre...acist-athletes
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    George Mason

really? thats what people got outraged about? it's a terrible joke, but i don't see where it's racist... there are white people in africa too. not sure how many of them are in the olympics this year, but they do exist.
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    James Madison

Eh. Greece really ought to be more worried about finances than interpreting semi-racist tweets.
    0 0 0 0

OLine. DLine. Secondary.

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Florida Atlantic

Quote Originally Posted by tshile View Post
    really? thats what people got outraged about? it's a terrible joke, but i don't see where it's racist... there are white people in africa too. not sure how many of them are in the olympics this year, but they do exist.
    Well, at best it was a monumentally stupid comment to make, and at worst it was racism. If you read the article, she'd had a history of criticizing Greece's immigration policy before this.

I think combined with her earlier tweets, people think that she was complaining about the number of African immigrants in Greece. Which, regardless of how you interpret it, is something an Olympic athlete should never, ever say!
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    George Mason

Quote Originally Posted by Lanky Livingston View Post
    Well, at best it was a monumentally stupid comment to make, and at worst it was racism. If you read the article, she'd had a history of criticizing Greece's immigration policy before this.

I think combined with her earlier tweets, people think that she was complaining about the number of African immigrants in Greece. Which, regardless of how you interpret it, is something an Olympic athlete should never, ever say!
    ok, i missed that part of it - the history of some controversial comments. in that context then fine - i'd say it's justified just to get so people stop asking about it.

the comment alone wasn't racist - but that's my opinion, and i'm a 27 year old white male who lives in the US, so maybe it's easy for me to say it's not racist.
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Florida Atlantic

Quote Originally Posted by tshile View Post
    the comment alone wasn't racist - but that's my opinion, and i'm a 27 year old white male who lives in the US, so maybe it's easy for me to say it's not racist.
    Yeah, perspective is everything.
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

I didn't see it racist so much as colossally insulting to the population of an entire continent. Considering one of the purposes of the Olympics is to foster international goodwill through the spirit of competition I think what she said, for the world to hear, was completely contrary to that purpose.

I don't know if that's worthy of expulsion, but then again, I don't even have a twitter account.
    0 0 0 0

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    Army

Not racist at all, people need to lighten up. And I personally find it hilarious. If a comedian had said it, there would be no outrage at all, it would be passed around as the funny joke it is.

And she's hot.

Besides, a lot of us here have complained about Mexican illegals many times, does that make us racist?
    0 0 0 0

It's ok, I don't like you either.

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Florida Atlantic

Quote Originally Posted by Extreme View Post
    Not racist at all,
    Its a little racist. Especially in context with her previous complaints.

people need to lighten up. And I personally find it hilarious. If a comedian had said it, there would be no outrage at all, it would be passed around as the funny joke it is.
    A comedian would probably not open his act complaining about Greece's immigration policies.

And she's hot.
    She's definitely easy on the eyes.

Besides, a lot of us here have complained about Mexican illegals many times, does that make us racist?
    If you're complaining about a specific race of illegals, yes, that is racist.
    0 0 0 0

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    Army

Its a little racist. Especially in context with her previous complaints.
    Maybe. I didn't bother to read her prior comments, so I can't say.

A comedian would probably not open his act complaining about Greece's immigration policies.
    An assumption is being made that she was referring to Greece's immigration policies. Maybe she was, maybe she wasn't. I don't know.

She's definitely easy on the eyes.
    Indeed

If you're complaining about a specific race of illegals, yes, that is racist.
    Loving my country and complaining about the group that probably makes up 90% of illegals is racist? Really? If that's what the kids are saying these days, this country's gone softer than I realized.
    0 0 0 0

It's ok, I don't like you either.

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Blog Entries

If you like the idea of freedom of speech, you sort of have to dislike what is happening to her right now. Was she braindead to say it? Sure. Should she have the right to say it without being punished? I think so.
    0 0 0 0

Subscribe to our BGO Mailing List

hailus redskinus
    COYS

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Florida Atlantic

Quote Originally Posted by Extreme View Post
    An assumption is being made that she was referring to Greece's immigration policies. Maybe she was, maybe she wasn't. I don't know.
    No assumption, read the article.

Loving my country and complaining about the group that probably makes up 90% of illegals is racist? Really? If that's what the kids are saying these days, this country's gone softer than I realized.
    What does loving your country have to do with complaining about a specific type of illegal immigrant? Also, 90% is very high, I doubt its much higher than 50-60. Unless you're lumping Mexicans together with South Americans, which is also racist.

Quote Originally Posted by Neophyte View Post
    If you like the idea of freedom of speech, you sort of have to dislike what is happening to her right now. Was she braindead to say it? Sure. Should she have the right to say it without being punished? I think so.
    Well, the thing is, she's not being punished, just kicked off the Olympic team. Certain statuses come with certain expected levels of decorum and responsibility - clearly she violated those.
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    George Mason

Quote Originally Posted by Neophyte View Post
    Representing your country in the olympics is a privileged, not a right.

Noone is calling for her to be punished, but if her country decided she doesn't deserve the privilege of representing her country than i have no problem with that despite my liking the idea of free speech.

free speech means the government cannot stop you from speaking out about something. it does not mean you're free of consequences once you've spoken. the supreme court has been pretty clear about that.
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yeah, perspective is everything.
    I believe that was a popular sentiment in 1939!
    0 0 0 0

User Tag List