• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Tech/Computer advice from me

I don't know about restoring lost emails from that perspective, but if you have a backup solution, I can tell you what files to backup so you have copies of your Inbox, folders, etc.

I had no idea that Thunderbird had a restore setting.

This is what I found on Yahoo Help Forum, but I'm not sure which "folders" they're referring to, where to find them and how to move them (they are not in the Trash bin) :

"Be aware that a POP or an IMAP client may have deleted your messages. POP and IMAP clients are applications such as Microsoft Outlook, Mozilla Thunderbird or devices like a BlackBerry or iPhone.
Check all the folders in your apps and devices and move messages back to the inbox."

Last edited:
Yes I'd be curious about that. Thanks.

In your Settings, you should see a Local Directory. In this directory should find files for your Inbox, Sent, and all folders, including any you've created. There is an .msf file that goes with each. I think that's an index file. I don't know if you need that, but I always include it when I've had to copy anything back in. If your folders have sub-folders, there should be folders with an .sbd extension that house all that information.

Okay I just tried to load a pic onto the show yourself thread and got this message.

56F136FC-2EF6-41AC-A99A-5B2D7BDE1A9A.jpg

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Rename the file to something approximating a reasonable image name for starters :) I'm not sure it is recognizing that as an image file with a bunch of '-' in it. Probably something as simple as that.

As for our 'BS pic loader' - we have no control over the forum software limitations guys. We will likely move away from vBulletin permanently with our next upgrade in a couple of years. Until then, there are pro's and con's just as there are with any platform.

I didn't mean BGO chose to use it, but it just takes more fiddling than it's worth. When I was posting images it wouldn't accept them by using what is in front of you, the 'default' setting, if you like. I had to click 'basic loader' before I was able to post any image, which was from my pc.

Just for clarification the pic is straight from my ‘all photos' album on an iPhone 7. You guys know I'm technologically retarded to haul off and name a file that. My labeling is more like ‘fish pic 27Jan2018'.

I loaded all previous pics from the exact same location and method fwiw.

Sounds like a great fish story.
I caught a fish SOOOOOOOOOOO big, that the size of it crashed the BGO uploader software.
And that's why I don't have a pic to prove to you that it's the biggest fish ever caught.

:)

Last edited:
I no longer use Thunderbird as I have a gmail account. I don't know what you mean with Firefox as I have never had a problem with it.

I apologize for being so vague, in my venting, it's just that there's so many issues I've had with Mozilla, plus I was still emotional from the game.
But to name a few things, it's been "timing out" a lot, crashing a lot, letting security threats through a lot...

Are you sure it's not the website causing FF all the grief? I installed the latest Malwarebytes and it gave me the premium version as a trial, and I was getting messages advising me that one site in particular couldn't be opened due to a trojan, and it was full of malware. I opened that site on my Ubuntu machine without problems but there were problems when trying to open the site on my Surface 3.

As I now have a gmail account, I have ditched thunderbird (and mailwasher) as gmail is a web based email client, and I don't have to advise people of my changed email address whenever I change ISPs.

If you have any major problems, or just don't like the way Mozilla is headed, you can always contact them and have your say.

To save some time, open up other sites and see if the problems still occur. The update of the Super Antispyware program that I have installed comes with a month's free trial of the pro version, which was causing me all sorts of problems. Sites wouldn't open, some were 'infected' with trojans, spyware, malware, adware, and the like. As I don't have anything important or personal on my laptop, I don't need the pro version but now that the trial has expired, I no longer have any problems.

To save some time, open up other sites and see if the problems still occur. The update of the Super Antispyware program that I have installed comes with a month's free trial of the pro version, which was causing me all sorts of problems. Sites wouldn't open, some were 'infected' with trojans, spyware, malware, adware, and the like. As I don't have anything important or personal on my laptop, I don't need the pro version but now that the trial has expired, I no longer have any problems.

Thanks, I'll try that.
BTW, I just remembered one of the many issues I started having with Firefox, even though this is probably the most minor.
But just FYI, FF stopped remembering passwords when I change them.
Like if I have a password stored in a site, then change it - even though FF does ask me if I want to "Update New Password" and I answer Yes, it still stores the old password, whenever I try to log into each site, so I continually have to manually enter the new password.

So I guess it's not just 1 or 2 things, but the accumulative effect of numerous small things that has me frustrated with FF.

Last edited:
While the above is one of the more minor things, the biggest thing is FF freezes up on average of once every 15 minutes. And I have to completely close it down and re-open in order to continue. Extremely frustrating. It's not website-related, as it happens on different websites. It's not software or system related, because it only happens on that browser.

All I can suggest is to save everything related to that browser, then completely delete the browser from your system. Restart pc BEFORE re-installing. You should have version 63.0, which is Firefox Quantum.

I don't comprehend the sentence 'It's not software or system related ..' Firefox is software.

@SkinnedAussie , or anyone.
Started out, my wifi would frequently disconnect, and it has just gotten more and more frequent.
Literally, I lose the connection about every 10 minutes on average, and have to repeatedly open up the wifi section of the laptop and tell it to re-connect.

I want to emphasize that it is definitely not the wireless service provider, because side-by-side, I have a desktop PC that does not have the problem at all.
I have searched the net and found suggestions like updating your OS software and your wifi drivers, but that is all up to date.
Even when it is connected, it's only 1 or 2 bars, and it has an exclamation point next to it, which I assume is simply telling me I have a weak connection, but I don't know the reason, since my PC doesn't have that problem.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.