• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Tech/Computer advice from me

I am never able to play twitter videos.
I have tried on multiple OS's, but always use Firefox, so maybe that is the culprit.
I get the simple error message, "The media could not be played".
This seems to be a common problem after looking around, and some of the suggestions for fixing, involve settings and add-ons in Firefox. I have Ad-Blocker Plus, but I tried disabling it on Twitter but that didn't work, and neither did a couple other suggestions I tried in the Firefox settings.

I use Firefox and I have never had a problem playing video media.

What you might like to try is the K-Lite codecs, which are easily downloaded and installed by www.ninite.com. Just type in 'ninite' in a search bar, open the basic ninite, click on what program you want (I use VLC as well as K-Lite), download the installer to your desktop, click on it and then just wait for the programs to install. It does not install the extra 'bullshit' that some programs include so just sit back and wait for the installations to finish. Once installed, try to play a twitter video.

You can also use ninite to upgrade any existing program as it will always have the current program ready to download and install.

What you might like to try is the K-Lite codecs, which are easily downloaded and installed by www.ninite.com. Just type in 'ninite' in a search bar, open the basic ninite, click on what program you want (I use VLC as well as K-Lite), download the installer to your desktop, click on it and then just wait for the programs to install. It does not install the extra 'bullshit' that some programs include so just sit back and wait for the installations to finish. Once installed, try to play a twitter video.

You can also use ninite to upgrade any existing program as it will always have the current program ready to download and install.

Thanks SA.
Tried both the K-Lite and the VLC in the PC with MS, and still can't play the video.

Went to the PC with Ubuntu, and could not find K-Lite as a downloadable product in the "Software Center", but noticed a tiny message from Ubuntu, I didn't see before "libavcodec may be vulnerable or is not supported, and should be updated to play video"....
so I downloaded a FFMPEG codec i found in the Software Center, called WinFF, but that didn't work.
Downloaded the VLC too, and that didn't help either.

Last edited:
I forgot you run Ubuntu and my ninite instructions are for an MS machine. As I don't own my laptop (yet), I have to keep it a Windows machine or I cop penalty charges. It's easier this way in case I have to return it for maintenance/replacement.

I know that with Ubuntu, you have to pay for certain codecs as they are not proprietory (free) but there are ways around them. I don't know what they'd be now so all I can suggest is that you try every codec available (even use google if you have to) to see what works.

I forgot you run Ubuntu and my ninite instructions are for an MS machine. As I don't own my laptop (yet), I have to keep it a Windows machine or I cop penalty charges. It's easier this way in case I have to return it for maintenance/replacement.

I know that with Ubuntu, you have to pay for certain codecs as they are not proprietory (free) but there are ways around them. I don't know what they'd be now so all I can suggest is that you try every codec available (even use google if you have to) to see what works.

SA, I feel kind of stuck, because I'm running an older version of Ubuntu, and have a problem with upgrading, and wondering if an upgrade would solve this problem.
The problem is that I used WUBI to install Ubuntu as a dual OS.
But now, not only is the Ubuntu version no longer supported, but the WUBI installation program is no longer supported.
So, I'm not sure how to upgrade in this situation, and still keep dual OS. The ubuntu forum talks about building separate partitions and things like that, as an alternative, but that gets too technical for me.

I just installed Google Chrome for the first time, and it has no issues playing videos.
It must be a Firefox issue.

I run version 55.0.3 of Firefox and the only video problem I've had is when Facebook is being a memory hog. 16GB of memory and Facebook chews it all!

Can I get a recommended program that's "considered safe and free from malware", and also easy to use, that will convert audio files from WMA format to WAV format ?

Audacity won't let me even open WMA files, and has instructed me to convert as noted above. The files I'm trying to open aren't even copyrighted, so I don't know why it's an issue. They're homemade digitally recorded files that I'm trying to edit on Audacity, if I could only convert them to WAV.

Preferably a Windows program. But an Ubuntu program would be fine too.

Try Musicbee. It's more of a music player but it does play WMA, and the inbuilt conversion tool will convert to Wave (WAV). In fact, it should play any type of sound file so you won't have to format in future, only if you are burning to a disc that needs to be a certain file type. My car stereo will only play WMA, so I have to convert FROM mp3 format.

You'll find MUSICBEE in amongst what is available at Ninite.com

One problem you could have is the type of digital recording equipment. I have found that a WMA is not always a WMA, and an mp3 is not always an mp3!

So far, so good on Windows.
But didn't have any luck finding it on Ubuntu.
Typed in MusicBee into Software Center and nothing comes up. And Ninite didn't come up there either.
Tried adding a space after the word Music, but still didn't come up.

Try finding Ninite in a browser? It's never going to be found in Ubuntu's software manager. Just open your browser, type in ninite.com, and it should come up.

Try finding Ninite in a browser? It's never going to be found in Ubuntu's software manager. Just open your browser, type in ninite.com, and it should come up.

In all my experience with Ubuntu, all new programs either have to be downloaded from the Ubuntu Software center, or manually done through commands in the Terminal, and that's something that requires a high level expertise.

It's always prevented me from downloading and installing programs from websites.
Technically, I can download and save the installation EXE file, but when I go to the folder and click on it, it does not install. Including this attempt with Ninite. I always assumed that that was just a limitation on Ubuntu and not just isolated errors. Or is there something I'm missing in the process ?

I have tried searching help forums but cannot find an answer to this, what works for me.
I have a Toshiba laptop, and have this problem where the cursor randomly jumps around the page when I am typing, using the keyboard only.
So, I'm not even touching the mouse or the touchpad, but only typing on the keyboard. And every few seconds,
the cursor jumps to some other random part of the page or document, and if I don't pay attention, I end up typing in the middle
of words I already typed over.

This is on Ubuntu OS.

I have tried searching help forums but cannot find an answer to this, what works for me.
I have a Toshiba laptop, and have this problem where the cursor randomly jumps around the page when I am typing, using the keyboard only.
So, I'm not even touching the mouse or the touchpad, but only typing on the keyboard. And every few seconds,
the cursor jumps to some other random part of the page or document, and if I don't pay attention, I end up typing in the middle
of words I already typed over.

This is on Ubuntu OS.

When was the last time you changed the batteries in the mouse? This will often cause the cursor to 'jump' over the page.

Really, a low battery on a mouse will affect the cursor even when I'm not using the mouse, but just the keyboard ? Interesting.
Otherwise, the mouse seemed to work fine and no other mouse-related symptoms, so the battery didn't cross my mind.
Also, the laptop was given to me, and IIRC the reason they didn't want it was because of symptoms like this.
I'll give it a shot and try a new battery. Thanks

I was skeptical at first, but once I changed the battery in my mouse, the cursor behaved itself.

Thanks very much.
Can I ask about another thing I'm stuck on, that's pretty major ?
I've been using Mozilla Thunderbird, and apparently there's a conflict with Yahoo and POP/IMAP clients, which can cause hundreds of emails to randomly disappear from your web email with Yahoo. That happened with me. I lost years worth of emails from Yahoo which vanished, although they still show up in Thunderbird.

I remember reading somewhere that there's some setting or action in Thunderbird, to not only prevent that from happening, but can restore the lost emails. Even though I still have the emails in Thunderbird, I'd still like to have them restored in Yahoo Web mail, just in case the computer crashes, and I lose my Thunderbird emails.
Do you know what setting or action to take in Thunderbird, that can prevent and restore those lost emails ?

As I no longer use Thunderbird, and I ditched Yahoo Mail some time ago, I now use Gmail as my email client. I had no idea that Thunderbird had a restore setting.

With Gmail, I created my own folders so that if the main server does go down (Gmail), I still have all my important emails at hand, but you can go one further and create a folder away from Gmail (OpenOffice?) to store your emails remotely. The only time taken is when you clean out your trash, which I do once a week.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.