• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Tech/Computer advice from me

A lot has changed at Yahoo over the last few months, and the email system was one of them. Fortunately, I just use ymail as my spam / sign up address so nothing of importance gets sent there (so it is no skin off my nose if they all get deleted), but people have had business emails deleted which to me, is their own fault. If something is important, you don't keep it on a web based email client!

I use my ISP supplied (and secure) email address for all important incoming mail. I have MailWasher display it BEFORE I download it from the server. I can read everything using MW, then delete what is crap. I then download what I want to keep to my Thunderbird client. Anything of importance then gets saved to a folder on my HDD (not inside the email client), and anything of REAL importance gets saved to an external drive, which gets backed up once a week, along with my contact list.

Everyone knows the dangers associated with computers these days, and there is no excuse for not ensuring your data is safe. Don't assume software will do it, or some other form will do it, it is up to the individual.

Thanks, I forgot that I had Thunderbird, because I rarely use it. And I checked, and it did indeed save all those thousands of emails, which were deleted by Yawho. Thunderbird saved me on this one, big-time.

I need to get that Mail Washer too, because I'm tired of all the malicious Spam that goes directly to my Inbox, since there is no Spam folder in Thunderbird. And since it goes to my Inbox, I accidentally open the spam a lot, and it triggers my anti-virus warnings, so I wonder if I've released something damaging.

Another thing about Thunderbird Spam - I get spam emails that come through my Thunderbird program, that do not show up in my regular email account - so these are in addition to the other spam I get. As if, Thunderbird is responsible for generating additional, separate spam.

This is the 2nd ****ing time this happened in a ****ing week. A 2nd Yawho email account of mine has had ALL my emails disappeared/deleted with the exception of a handful, just leaving the emails that arrived in the last week. EIGHT YEARS and thousands of emails prior to July are GONE. This exact same thing happened to another Yawho email address about a week ago, that I also had for years. I am SO DONE with Yawho. I am totally leaving for another email provider.

If emails from eight years ago were so important, they should have been saved elsewhere, not on a web based email client's server.

The first time it happened would have sent red flags flying for me, but to get caught out a second time, you really only have yourself to blame.

The first time it happened would have sent red flags flying for me, but to get caught out a second time, you really only have yourself to blame.

A week's time from the first instance doesn't really give me a whole lot of time to react and make necessary arrangments.

Who could have expected or imagined something this unlikely could happen twice to the same person, in just one week ?

Last edited:
Who would expect emails from eight years ago to still be relevant, or not saved somewhere safe.

It's not as if there is a shortage of email clients. Anything that is NOT web based is safer.

I'm not blaming you personally, but the only way to ensure your data is safe is to make the effort to do so manually. It might take time, but it prevents this thing from happening.

Last edited:
This is something that's irritated me about PC's, literally ever since their inception, whether it's Microsoft OS, or Linux.
Whenever I'm working within one particular program, or internet browser window, and then I go to open another program or browser window - while I'm waiting for the 2nd one to completely open, I go back to the first one, and resume typing it. When the 2nd one completely opens, the screen automatically switches to the 2nd one, and so whatever I was typing is not only interrupted, but the text gets transferred to the 2nd screen before I realize it's even switched. I've always wondered if this was an inherent and un-changeable trait, or is there a setting that I can adjust, so my screen and typing remains in the first program/browser I was in, even after the 2nd one opens ?

You can change that in the settings to not automatically go to the new tab that is opened.

You shouldn't be opening a new window for each new browser page. Open them in tabs as each new windows leaves you more susceptible to virus/trojan laden pop=up ads.

I have mine set to open a new tab in the background. What this does is that when I am reading an article and click n a link within that article, the URL will load as I finish the original, then I can go to the next one.

You need to fine-tune your browser settings (Options ?) to your liking.

You shouldn't be opening a new window for each new browser page. Open them in tabs as each new windows leaves you more susceptible to virus/trojan laden pop=up ads.

I usually do stick with tabs. I think it mainly happens with a combination of program and browser. For example, working in a Word-type program, then open a browser and while I'm waiting for that one browser to load, I go back to the document. Then get unwillingly transported along with all my text into the browser when it opens.

I got this compressed air, it was the brand below, to clean out the inside of my PC.
I followed all the instructions, but it barely had an air pressure in the bursts. It was such a small, powerless burst of air, that it was hardly moving the dust. All I noticed is the can got freezing cold, which I assumed normal, but once in a while it would let out a liquid squirt, which the instructions said
was only supposed to happen at the very beginning, when you clear out the liquid.

Besides that, I set the can down, and after a few minutes there was a little pool of the liquid around the can, which is disturbing since it's supposed to be toxic. But I couldn't tell where it was coming from.

Did I do something wrong, or was this a crappy brand, or did I just happen to get a defective item ?
I assume I can get a refund, based on the "leak", if not the fact it had little air pressure.
Should I get a different brand after that ?

image_8069.jpg

the freezing cold was freon, most likely. when it "melted" is when the pool created. It sounds like you got a cheap brand of it.

Yes shake it and you might need to turn it over slightly, but I HATE those things. The bittering agent they put in it to stop huffers leaves residue all over my freakin PC. I even get it on my KB somehow and then it gets on my fingers and eventually it winds up in my mouth. If your PC has fans it'll blow all the residue out for days. I use my air compressor and just take the machine to my shop to clean it.

Cleaned out the inside of my PC, but it still hasn't remedied this problem I keep having.
Desktop PC keeps shutting off by itself. Tried googling it, and the most common cause seemed to be a dirty PC interior. But a thorough cleaning of the insides has ruled out that possibility.

Besides the shutting down on its own, sometimes it even re-starts by itself. Even more bizarre, sometimes the PC restarts - in the middle of a restart !

Another strange thing it does, is the monitor frequently scrambles up, as pictured in the below oddity.
I know it's a PC issue and not a monitor issue, because no monitor adjustment will correct it - not even turning the monitor on and off. The only thing that gets it out of the below "state" is restarting it.
I assume this number that the monitor is pulling on me, is related to the shutting off, and restarting by itself.

Any clues to what's causing all this ?

Last edited:
How old is the computer you are having trouble with?

We had a similar problem and it was diagnosed as a faulty PSU. As it couldn't supply enough power to each item as required, it was like taking from Peter and giving it to Paul, and thus Peter would crash. Once we got the PSU replaced, the graphics card failed, so rather than keep replacing parts as they failed, we went and got a new computer.

Is your fan running? I've seen bizarre behavior with PCs when they overheat.

But I also had a similar problem with a Dell. Luckily it was under support and they determined it to be a problem with the motherboard. Once replaced, it worked fine. But I don't know how to self diagnosis that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.