• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Tech/Computer advice from me

Did you configure the router online?

Do you have the MAC address? You might need to call your provider and give them that info and see if they can configure on their end as well.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device
I tried that last night and it didn't work at all. I'm starting to think the problem might be they activated the wrong line or something. Because of all the splitters that used to be in my house, my internet signal was terrible years ago when I had them. So they ran a new line specifically dedicated for the internet. I'm wondering if they activated the line we were using for tv instead of the one that was put in for internet.

I still think its something in your network setup on your computer. Do you have another device you can try to use to hook up through wireless or wired like a phone??
I tried with my phone, my wife's computer, and my wife's Nook. Same result with everything. When I hook up the Verizon modem, everything runs fine. With the cable modem, nothing works. I did a full system recovery last night, wouldn't that erase any problems my network might have been causing?

It appears to be a DNS issue. Something on your computer looks to me like it is looking for
a DNS in the wrong place. If your router did not show a good DNS I'd say it was the cable company, but its fine on the router.

Maybe try forcing the DNS in your network settings. Change it forgot auto and enter 8.8.8.8 as your primary DNS server and 8.8.4.4 as secondary. These are google free DNS servers. If it does not help remember to switch it back to auto.

It appears to be a DNS issue. Something on your computer looks to me like it is looking for
a DNS in the wrong place. If your router did not show a good DNS I'd say it was the cable company, but its fine on the router.

Maybe try forcing the DNS in your network settings. Change it forgot auto and enter 8.8.8.8 as your primary DNS server and 8.8.4.4 as secondary. These are google free DNS servers. If it does not help remember to switch it back to auto.

or run nslookup on the provider DNS addresses.

Are the DHCP and Default Gateway both supposed to be the same number? I only ask, because they're the same, and I don't know if that causes some kind of conflict. But when I run network diagnostics, it tells me my dns servers are not responding.

Would a dns flush accomplish anything for this problem?

Are the DHCP and Default Gateway both supposed to be the same number? I only ask, because they're the same, and I don't know if that causes some kind of conflict. But when I run network diagnostics, it tells me my dns servers are not responding.

Would a dns flush accomplish anything for this problem?

In your case yes, because you have a unit that is a modem and router in one. As to flushing the DNS, can't hurt, but not sure it'll help either. It just seems like your machine is trying to find an old DNS that is no longer available instead of a valid one.

This is what I tried....

1. Pulled up command prompt

2. Typed ipconfig /flushdns and hit enter

It said successfully flushed the DNS resolver cache.

3. I typed ipconfig /registerdns and hit enter

Then it said something like error, command requires elevation, and did nothing. It wouldn't even let me get to the point of releasing and renewing.

Try this, right-click the "Command Prompt" and choose to Run as Administrator then try it.

I'm an idiot. I tried everything I could to run as administrator earlier and I couldn't do it, and it never occurred to me that when I did the system recovery, the default profile was stripped of administrative powers. I'm gonna go try this. I'll let you know how it goes.

if you go to the diagnostics screen what info dies it have there? It should show you the IP address cox handed your modem as well as a cox gateway and probably 2 DNS servers. That's the first thing to check.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you using the EXACT network name and password that is on the side of the unit? It may sound like a simple thing, but my sister was having all sorts of problems with her home wireless network, so much that she even paid for a tech to do a house call, and still couldn't get it to work.

I was there for less then 10 minutes and voila, everything she wanted to connect connected first time.

All I did was deleted the old network settings and started from new. I asked the computer to search for any available networks and it found the one we wanted to use. It was then a matter of typing in the password, letting the computer and modem 'shake hands', and all was sweet.

It's worth a try to simply start afresh.

So.......Cox kept insisting something was wrong with my computer. I knew there wasn't, so I took it up to Best Buy for them to connect to their cable. Not to my surprise, it worked no problem.

So I went home. I went in my closet and got some extra coax. Then I opened the Cox box and I ripped out the cluster **** of splices, splitters and what appeared to be spliced splices from my line. Then I cut off the line and attached a new one directly into my service adapter. Then I ran a new line from the box to my computer, and........it worked immediately :twitch:

You see, I simply did what I asked them to do over a dozen times. I ran a new line. Something they swore would change nothing, so all 3 crews that came out refused to do it. Then I called them and let them know what I did. The lady asked me why I did that, and I simply told her, "because you refused to." Then I told her she needed to send out a crew to bury the line. When she told me they were backlogged and it could be months, I texted my sister. She texted me back and said it'll be buried today. Guess who just got here to bury my line? :laugh:

Guys, you will never know how much I appreciated the patience and effort I received from each and every one of you. It really means a lot, and it's just another example of why BGO is such an awesome place.

You don't have a coax cable coming from a splitter do you?

Splits are one of the main problems in bidirectional cable communication. Wrong splitter and nothing works, to many splits, nothing works.

Glad you got it figured out!

I agree, but I only have them for internet, so it's only $35 a month for me. With Verizon, since they have yet to put fios in my neighborhood, the best I could do was DSL. Since they require you to have phone service you don't want or need to use DSL, I was paying over $70 a month.

I miss FiOS. Had to settle for Comcast here and it rekindled some old memories of why I left them for Verizon. Ugh.

Anyone know something about U-Verse? Wonder if I should go with them instead.

I miss FiOS. Had to settle for Comcast here and it rekindled some old memories of why I left them for Verizon. Ugh.

All I know about U-Verse I know from my friend out in western NC who had no other choice, and she goes on and on about it at the same rate Fios fans go on and on about Fios. Apparently U-Verse is the only thing AT&T does right.

Is this the proper thread to ask for Tablet advice too?

I have one of the early Xoom tablets and I have enjoyed it. Time for an upgrade.

I want a 10" (or roughly similar size) android tablet.

Thinking of the Galaxy Note 10.1 at the moment but I dont think it has 4G, are there any others I should look into in your opinions?

I've never used their service but I've heard nothing but complaints from people that do.

Comcast or Uverse - ugh, and I thought not having a choice was bad.

Is this the proper thread to ask for Tablet advice too?

I have one of the early Xoom tablets and I have enjoyed it. Time for an upgrade.

I want a 10" (or roughly similar size) android tablet.

Thinking of the Galaxy Note 10.1 at the moment but I dont think it has 4G, are there any others I should look into in your opinions?

Are you dead set on having 4g/LTE access on your tablet? Wireless only isn't an option?

There is obviously the iPad.

I've heard good things about the kindle fire HD but remember you don't have access to the Google Play Store with it (hence it being so cheap), you only have access to the Amazon play store. Now, honestly, most android developers publish to both and you can side load any android app you want, so it's all about convenience and how tight your budget is.

I've finally decided that I'm never buying a skinned android device again, so I personally would recommend one of the Nexus tablets. http://www.google.com/nexus/

Regular Android is a great OS - it's when Samsung, Motorola, HTC, or others put their stupid skins over them that they turn into garbage. Plus you'll be guaranteed immediate updates for the next 2-3 years.

So if you weren't going iPad I'd recommend the nexus 7 or 10, depending on size preference.

What you really need to do is go to best buy, staples, and other electronics stores and play with a few of them and figure out which ones you like, then decide based on price/specs from there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.