• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

WP: Osi says Bob Griffin needs to earn the RGIII nickname

Goaldeje

The Legend
Reaction score
Alma Mater
James Madison
Robert Griffin III is most often called RGIII. If you ask Giants defensive end Osi Umenyiora, however, he hasn’t earned the nickname yet.

From the New York Post:

Of course, Umenyiora from time to time doesn’t mind some stick-poking. He shows respect for opponents but refuses to heap praise on players who haven’t proven anything. Case in point: He will not refer to Redskins rookie quarterback Robert Griffin III as RG3 even though that’s basically what everyone calls him.
“Who is this RG3 guy you guys keep talking about?’’ Umenyiora said. “You talking about Bob Griffin? You guys are giving him a cool nickname already and everything. When he does anything in the NFL we’re gonna call him RG3. Right now he’s Bob Griffin.’’

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...-his-nickname/2012/07/25/gJQAczD68W_blog.html

I don't know if anyone has noticed but the only thing I ever call him is Griffin.

Heh heh.

Point taken. :)

Once his team mate from Baylor came aboard, I asked him what they called him at practice...so I have been calling him Griff mostly since then. RG3 is easier to type sometimes though. :laugh:

1) If Osi really wants to get technically correct, like he says, our QB's name is ROBERT, NOT BOB. Bob is a nick-name JUST LIKE RG3, so he's contradicting himself.

2) Who says "RG3" is something he has to earn ? What is it about the name that speaks "greatness", or "accomplishment" or "cockiness" and such ? NOTHING.

3) How about much more cocky names, like "Champ Bailey" ?? Yes, he of course turned out to be a great corner, but he went by the name "Champ" long before he did anything in the league, and no-one complained.

Screw Osi. That being said, he's right.

He hasn't even played a game yet. I can't remember the last time that a rookie was this hyped.

I'd say winning the Heismann trophy, leading Baylor to its first 10-win season since 1980, and helping his school win their first bowl game since 1992 in record-breaking fashion is enough for a nickname. Oh, not to mention his silly, ridiculous talent.

Osi, STFU!

A guy by the name of Rex beat Osi's Giants twice last year.

I suppose a guy by the name of "Bob" can do the same.

Yeah, I am kinda thinking that winning the Heisman qualifies as "doing something".

I also think shorting a guy's name to his initials plus suffix isn't a big deal. Osi is trying to make something where there is nothing and "Bob", "Griff", "Griffin", or "RGIII" are all smart enough to know that.

You're all missing one major flaw in this tool's argument.....RGIII isn't a nickname. It's his initials. Much like RFK, LBJ, JFK, etc.

Why someone would have to earn their initials is beyond me.

A guy by the name of Rex beat Osi's Giants twice last year.

I suppose a guy by the name of "Bob" can do the same.

Exactly.....when Osi suits up and lines up against RG3 this year, he is most certainly going to need to be more concerned with catching the speedy, rifle-armed QB, than what name he should be calling him.
So let him worry about the name. It's a distraction for him. And based on Osi's history, he's quite skilled at creating his own distractions.

I don't know if anyone has noticed but the only thing I ever call him is Griffin.

I'm attempting the same thing, and catch myself now and then.

I hate the RG3 nickname. I have no real reason to hate it, just a personal opinion sort of thing.

Ha, all my fantasy team names have switched from Shanahanigans to RG-3PO this season.

Stupid. This is like giving someone crap for being called "Junior". It's also stupid because it's not a label bestowed upon him because of his football playing, like others pointed out it's his initials. He is right about the point he was making so horribly about rookies not deserving any hype until they earn it on the field.

I gotta admit, I kinda like just 'Bob.'

I might start using that from now on. :)

I think we need 90,000 "BOB" signs for when the GMen come to town. Somebody get Snyder on the horn!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.