• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Redskins waive Chase Minnifield, sign David Jones.

Lanky Livingston

I don't get it. Why does he have to pass through waivers for us to get him on IR?

I don't get it. Why does he have to pass through waivers for us to get him on IR?

I asked Rich, and he said apparently it has something to do with salary owed to him? He was gonna check.

Tough to come back from that micro-fracture surgery apparently. Too bad. Healthy, I seriously think he could've challenged for a starting role. Hope no one claims him and maybe he just needs another year to fully recover.

Here's the official release.

For Immediate Release
July 24, 2012

REDSKINS SIGN CB DAVID JONES;
WAIVE CB CHASE MINNIFIELD

LOUDOUN COUNTY, Va. – The Washington Redskins announced today that they have signed free agent cornerback David Jones. The Redskins also waived/injured cornerback Chase Minnifield. If Minnifield is not claimed off waivers, he will automatically revert to the team’s Reserve/Injured list.

Jones (6-0, 197) was originally drafted by the New Orleans Saints in the fifth round (145th overall) of the 2007 NFL Draft out of Wingate (N.C.). In five NFL seasons, he has played in 54 regular season games with 12 starts, and recorded 75 tackles (60 solo), one interception, 10 passes defensed, one fumble recovery and 13 special teams tackles.

In 2011, Jones played in the final five games of the season for the Jacksonville Jaguars, finishing with one solo tackle and four special teams tackles. He spent the preseason with the Jaguars before being placed on the Reserve/Injured list on Sept. 3, eventually being waived while designated as injured on Sept. 10. He re-signed as a free agent with the Jaguars on Dec. 3.

Jones played collegiately at Wingate from 2003-06, where he was a two-time All-South Atlantic Conference performer, appearing in 40 games with 28 starts. He recorded 110 tackles and 15 interceptions, returning three for touchdowns.

Jones was born Sept. 19, 1985, and attended Greenville (S.C.) H.S., where he finished with 10 career interceptions.

Minnifield (6-0, 185) was signed as a college free agent on May 3, 2012.

I jumped the gun by saying the team shut Chase down for this season a couple of days ago. My apologies for doing so - it was not meant to be shared.

I can say that the FO is hoping no one will make a claim. He'll have another year to heal and it would be nice to see him in a Redskins uniform for many seasons to come.

it's especially a shame because he seemed to be a player with the confidence and instincts to actually start for this team down the road instead of simply being a special teamer or camp fodder.

I wish these guys like Trent and Jones well, but given their histories in the NFL they look more like reincarnations of Leigh Torrence and Ade Jimoh than real contributors.

That would be the only way to quiet the critics screaming about how we spent that pick on a 2nd QB

That is the main complaint by people not happy with the pick. Take a backup QB who may not play a single snap this season, instead of a guy who could have been on the field for dozens of plays every single game?

New England? Sure. They can afford to do something like that. But us? Highly questionable to say the least.

Doesn't look like anyone has claimed Chase yet. I think they have until 4 or so tonight?

Minnifield has cleared waivers and been added to the IR list.

Good. That should give him a chance to recover and hopefully make an impact next year.

Good. That should give him a chance to recover and hopefully make an impact next year.

Hmm. I'm not as confident. Microfractures are usually a death knell for an athlete's career; just look at Greg Oden.

I'm hoping he'll make a full recovery, but I'm not counting on it.

Yep, agreed. I am hoping he recovers, and this time period gives him a decent chance to do so.

It is being reported that Shanahan said Minnifield tore his ACL on the last day of OTA's.

If Terry Allen could make it back as a running back and gain 1,300 yards for the Redskins off of TWO ACL reconstructions, there is every hope that Minnifield can be a part of the future here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.