• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Nationals

I know i'm going to be in the minority, but i'm all for shutting Strasburg down. I'd LOVE to have him in the playoffs, but heres why i agree with it.

1. His longevity is MUCH more important then this year. I know you have to take advantage of any chances we get, but sometimes risk doesnt out-weigh reward.

2. It sends a message to the team as well as the league, that the players are viewed as people instead of tools. This is something that a lot of Washington players have said is lacking in the organizations.

3. It shows that this management group has a plan and are sticking to it. Lets not forget that last year we were blown away that they finished around .500. This team was a joke and this plan that we've been on has turned it around to, now, what a lot of 'experts' believe to be the favorite for the NL to make it to the world series. This management picked up guys like Gonzalez, Jackson, Laroche. They know what they are doing.

the cubs game last night was the best source of entertainment i've had in a while.

bryce harper is a ****ing beast.

Nationals first to 90 wins!
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Almost pulled off the huge come back win in game 2 with a 6 run 8th, but Kemp homered in the 9th.

Magic number top clinch a playoff berth is 1!
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

jackson is being murdered by the cardinals tonight :(

9-1 bottom of the 2nd. 1 out. ugh.

I hope they don't get bounced early, but I have a feeling they might. They're not playing their best baseball right now, and backed into winning the East. At least they get a 5-game series instead of a one-game playoff, which it looks like the Orioles will have thanks to Bobby Valentine.

"Backed into winning the East?" The team won 98 games, brother. One could just as easily say they coasted down the stretch after manhandling the Braves in those late-season series when it looked like Atlanta might actually close on them.

Backed in? Phoo, I say. :)

What I'm trying to figure out now is how I feel about the new format that has a division champion starting they playoffs on the road against a wildcard winner. It might make sense on some intellectual level, but it isn't sitting right in the gut yet. If they lose the opener and head into game 2 staring an 0-2 hole without ever getting to play at home, I'ma be pizzed.

Yeah, I don't get that either, Om. But if the O's somehow pull out a victory in Texas against one the best pitchers in baseball Friday, I won't complain that they will host the first two games of the ALDS against NY!

The opening up on the road is a side effect of putting in a wild-card-play-in at the last minute. They could only fit it in by getting rid of a travel day which meant opening up 2 on the road, finishing 3 at home.

The MLB has already said it wont happen again. Just an unfortunate side effect of not being able/willing to adjust the scheduling.

Damn, baseball really does have a looong way to go in DC. First home playoff game in 79 years and nary a post.

Allow me to rectify that.

Go Nats. :)

The more I think about the Strasburg situation, the more I am leaning towards the 'WTF were the Nationals thinking?' angle. They handled it about as poorly as they could have - there is no excuse to not have him pitching in these playoffs, none whatsoever. Hopefully Jackson & Detweiler can get it done...

Meh. The Strasburg situation is easy to argue from either side. I was always ok with it, for the record. And no, I don't think sitting him is the reason the Nats are getting blown out right now in the 2nd inning.

4-0 Cards, bottom 2nd.

Welcome to the big time, Washington Nationals.

And no, I don't think sitting him is the reason the Nats are getting blown out right now in the 2nd inning.

You're right, sitting him is the reason they were blown out yesterday. :D

Nats are getting a reality check. Not really surprised...they lost some steam down the stretch...and the playoffs are a very different animal than a "how about that?" regular season run when no one has any expectations.

To me this 2012 Nats team has been a season ahead of schedule, and I always kinda expected the bubble to burst at some point. I think the crucible that is playoff ball---against the defending champions no less---caught them off guard. I expect this experience to launch them into next year and hopefully a "next step" year where they learn to win with expectations...

That said, if they come back and steal this series, I'm gonna grin like a mofo. :)

Hopefully they don't turn into the baseball version of the Caps...

The more I think about the Strasburg situation, the more I am leaning towards the 'WTF were the Nationals thinking?' angle. They handled it about as poorly as they could have - there is no excuse to not have him pitching in these playoffs, none whatsoever. Hopefully Jackson & Detweiler can get it done...

Yeah no reason, other than ruining the arm of an amazing pitcher.

One year is not worth his career. Anyone who actually watched the games towards the end saw Starsburg was done; he was physically done the last 3 or 4 games he played. You could tell by watching him, he wasn't the same picture he was earlier in the season.

He'll be back next season, ready to go the entire way if the team is good enough to give him the opportunity.

The nats are blowing the advantage :\ 2 in a row or they're done for the year now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.