• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Typical Redskins move in RGIII contract hold-up

Well, for me, he was supposed to report yesterday, and he didn't. Its already a problem in my mind. It will be a more serious problem if next Monday comes and goes and he's not in Ashburn, on that I will agree with you.

Some hairs shouldn't need to be split. :cool:

Also, I don't think its splitting hairs to say he is a hold-out at this point. Rookies had to report to camp (training camp) yesterday. He is a rookie. He did not report.

Pretty cut and dry to me. I am not going to argue any further, but I will say the Redskins had the power to get this done and have not. Who cares about offset money? Like I said before, RGIII is a unique situation, and cannot be used as precedent for anyone else.

Of course you'll continue to argue, it's what you do.

I do think it's splitting hairs. Pre traning camp rookie workouts are NOT training camp.

I also think it's a complete knee jerk reaction based on little-to-no actual information to conclude that "the Redskins had the power to get this done and have not."

I also think saying that RG3's situation is unique is jumping to a conclusion we cannot possibly have enough information to make.

Message boards are fun.

Of course you'll continue to argue, it's what you do.

Well then, in this particular case, I will make an exception. Just for you, Om.

I do think it's splitting hairs. Pre traning camp rookie workouts are NOT training camp.

Just in case its not clear - you are the one continuing the argument here. :) I may have not made it clear, but I am just going to agree to disagree with you here. There was a date he had to report, and he didn't. Doesn't matter to me about the semantics of it.

I also think it's a complete knee jerk reaction based on little-to-no actual information to conclude that "the Redskins had the power to get this done and have not."

I also think saying that RG3's situation is unique is jumping to a conclusion we cannot possibly have enough information to make.

I know all and see all. My sources tell me I am correct. :silly:

oh... i didn't realize he was already required to report.

om, i agree, it's naive and ignorant to just blame both sides with no details.

so in this case i'll admit to being naive and ignorant. for crying out loud i didn't even realize he was already required to report :)

i'll add that i've been lost in the PA subforum for the last 2 months and watching the nationals.

as a STH and someone who has an unhealthy addiction to this team i'm currently enjoying watching the nationals and not being 100% redskins every day. so i'm quite out of the loop on this one. probably would have been better observing the thread instead of adding my worthless $.02 :)

According to Tandler's Real Redskins, offset language is the hold-up in RGIII's contract negotiations.

The length and money are set - 4 years, $21M (give or take a couple cents). Offset language means if they release him before 4 years is up, any guaranteed money left on the contract will be offset by the team that signs him.

There is less than ice cube's chance in hell that they release him before 4 years, but both sides want to set precedent. Only the Redskins would have contract negotiations stalled on something that will NEVER EVER HAPPEN. This team is so frustrating sometimes...

From the way I read it, and another article on it, it's not abnormal to have the off set language, and that his agent is trying to get it changed so he can lure other clients in with the premise that he can get his way with teams.

Sounds more like RGIII's agent then the team to me.

Based on what I've heard and read, none of the top eight picks have signed, and all for the same reason. The agents and the NFL are setting a precedent this year for the top picks which will more than likely be followed in future years.

The only thing the Redskins have done differently than other teams with a top 8 pick is provide their rookies with the opportunity to have more time to get acclimated prior to the start of training camp.

Griffin has moved to Northern Va and is currently working out with some vets. Neither side seems to feel that anything of great importance for Griffin is being missed this week.

Currently a non-issue and clearly not a Redskins specific issue.

Is this going to turn into another Shuler/Frerrotte situation and by season's end Kirk Cousins will be starting after Shuler held out?

China, you like that idea?

No. I think I've already gone on record here as saying Kirk Cousins has great leaderships skills and can make the throws, but he is prone to making bad mistakes in critical situations. I don't trust his decision-making at this point.

But if he does get the nod I will root for him as hard, if not harder, than I did when he was the Spartan QB. If he gets decision-making advice from sexy Rexy he'll be a disaster.

Per RGIII himself on Twitter this morning, he has signed. Everyone can exhale now.

WTOP is reporting that he signed for 4 years for $21,119,098, guaranteed.

Yup, 4 year deal is what's being reported.

I think the guaranteed money is set in stone by the CBA, but someone who knows more may be able to correct me on that.

And so it goes ...

NFL.com is really on the ball this morning:

619750414.png

EDIT: Not 100% that is NFL.com, just looks like their fonts.

Don't call it a holdout. The Washington Redskins signed rookie quarterback Robert Griffin III early Wednesday morning, according to NFL Network's Albert Breer and Michael Lombardi. Breer reports Griffin will get $21,119,098 fully guaranteed over four years. The contract has a team option for a fifth year.

-----

Griffin missed the first two days of Washington's kinda-sorta rookie training camp that began on Monday. The Redskins got their rookies together well before the rest of the NFL for extra workouts and classroom sessions, but the true training camp experience does not start until next week. And now coach Mike Shanahan has one less thing to worry about.

RG3's deal should pave the way for more top contracts to be signed. While rookies have signed earlier than ever before, the top of the draft has been stuck for a while on certain contractual language because of the new collective bargaining agreement. Fellow teams and agents will look at Griffin's contract closely and use it as a template to get their deals done.

The early deal is not a surprise, but it is welcome news to the rest of the NFL. If Griffin can sign so early, it's hard to imagine there will be any lengthy rookie holdouts. If any.
The kid keeps making all the right moves.

Typical indeed!

Indeed. :scholar:

Liking the apparent quid pro quo ... Skins don't press the offset issue, and in return get the 5th year club option. Gets the deal done and doesn't put us in position of being the team that carries the offset language flag for the league.

Time to buckle the chin strap. :)

Cool :thumbsup:...

Now, time to feign outrage at the FO not signing LeRibeus yet! (grumble, harumph, grumble) :mad:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.