A Burgundy and Gold Obsession
'Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.' - Groucho Marx

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Disagree Disagree:  0
Post of the Year Post of the Year:  0
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 158
  1. #1
    BGObsessed
    Join Date
    04-01-11
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Posts
    4,738
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    3
    Army

    Default Obama To Business Owners: "You Didn't Build That."

    http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012...success-alone/

    Read article at link for absurdity. Here's my take on it.......

    According to our President, nobody successful got where they are through hard work alone, they got there because the government held their hand and paved the way.

    Sorry Mr. President, you're wrong.

    In 1923, when he was 17 years old, my Uncle John Aragona moved from Italy to New York with his parents. He worked as a carpenter for less than $2 a day, saving every penny with the dream of being his own boss and becoming a developer one day. He later moved to Princess Anne County in Virginia, where he used his savings, and my Grandfather Dominick Russell's business sense and architectural design skills, and they opened their own business, with a goal of developing small businesses and affordable small family homes.

    In 1955, they broke ground on Aragona Village, the area's first ever middle-income housing development on land that they purchased from a dairy farmer. There were no streets, other than the ones my Uncle and Grandfather plowed through the mud with their tractors and trucks. Within 5 years, the community grew to over 3,200 and was the largest housing community in the region at the time.

    In 1961, the City of Norfolk wanted to annex Princess Anne County, and threatened to cut off the water supply if residents didn't comply. The leaders and residents of Aragona Village came together and decided to instead merge with the Virginia Beach resort area, with whom they incorporated, and have become the largest city in the Commonwealth of Virginia, and always near the top of lists of most successful cities, healthiest cities, safest cities, etc. in the entire nation.

    My family did that, with absolutely no handouts from Uncle Sam, no infrastructure laid by the government, and no assistance. They fought the government, they didn't beg for it's help. And that's just from my mom's paternal side of the family. The maternal side of her family are Huntingtons. They developed cities all over the country that were named for them, they developed major rail systems that changed transportation and distribution for the entire country. They WERE the infrastructure. Of course, Mary Surratt is also on that side of the family, so the accomplishments may offset each other But seriously, they didn't get a handout from the government. My father's great great grandfather on his maternal side is John Moses Browning. Anyone that knows anything about guns knows all about him. He revolutionized modern weaponry so far ahead of his time that over 100 of his patents are still used in today's advanced weaponry. He's an American success story, and also completely self-made success.

    I am 100% sure that my family's story is not the only story like this in this country. These stories exist everywhere. For Obama to sit here and make these absurd claims disgusts me, and shows how truly clueless and out of touch he really is.

    Edit: I just realized something else wrong with this view our President has. If there are no self made success stories, there also cannot be any self made failures. So I guess the 99% of the country the government doesn't consider successful, can thank the government for all of their failures. I mean after all, you can't claim responsibility for one without taking it for both.
    Last edited by Nobody; 07-15-12 at 09:30 PM.
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    It's ok, I don't like you either.

  2. #2

    Join Date
    07-22-09
    Posts
    7,590
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Obama wouldn't understand the concept of Entrepreneurship if it fell on his head.

    here's another edit for you Ex...Obama wouldn't recognize all the times government gets in the way of successful adventures either. he may be beginning to understand how his policies get in the way of growth and jobs.

    this is the same rhetoric Elizabeth Warren was pushing in MA when she first announced.
    0 0 0 0
     
     

  3. #3
    BGObsessed
    Join Date
    03-25-12
    Location
    My location
    Posts
    297
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Baylor

    Default

    How can anyone still not believe that Obama is basically a socialist at best.
    0 0 0 0
     
     

  4. #4

    Join Date
    02-01-10
    Location
    Waynesboro, VA
    Posts
    9,169
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    65
    James Madison

    Default

    Meh. Poor choice of words. Looking at it in context, I get what he was trying to say, but his misspoke. Not the first or last time it will happen to he or Romney this campaign season.
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    OLine. DLine. Secondary.

  5. #5
    BGObsessed
    Join Date
    07-16-11
    Posts
    1,024
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    No one can do it alone.

    As someone raised by a Holocaust survivor I get this very deeply.

    Could I have written my book if the Allies didn't stop Hitler. No I couldn't, because I would not exist. Could I be on the radio if farmers didn't produce food for me to buy or police didn't keep the streets safe? No, because I would too concerned about fighting for my survival.

    Could Edison have invented the light bulb if no one provided him with electricity or copper or glass?

    Most of our success is due to our own effort, sweat, ingenuity. It is rare that anyone succeeds without fighting for themselves and pushing hard. However, no one entirely gets there on their own steam.

    Could you have achieved the successes you have achieved if there was no U.S. military keeping us safe? No courts, no roads, no utilities, no public education, etc?

    Don't be ungrateful for all the fruits we enjoy by the luck of being born in this time and in this country.

    You do have to work and do you have to be responsible. You better roll up your sleeves.

    Are you on your own? Never.
    Last edited by burgold; 07-16-12 at 09:13 AM.
    0 0 0 0
     
     

  6. #6

    Join Date
    07-15-09
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    13,516
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Florida Atlantic

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by burgold View Post
    No one can do it alone.

    As someone raised by a Holocaust survivor I get this very deeply.

    Could I have written my book if the Allies didn't stop Hitler. No I couldn't, because I would not exist? Could I be on the radio if farmers didn't produce food for me to buy or police didn't keep the streets safe? No, because I would too concerned about fighting for my survival?

    Could Edison have invented the light bulb if no one provided him with electricity or copper or glass?

    Most of our success is due to our own effort, sweat, ingenuity. It is rare that anyone succeeds without fighting for themselves and pushing hard. However, no one entirely gets there on their own steam.

    Could you have achieved the successes you have achieved if there was no U.S. military keeping us safe? No courts, no roads, no utilities, no public education, etc?

    Don't be ungrateful for all the fruits we enjoy by the luck of being born in this time and in this country.

    You do have to work and do you have to be responsible? You better roll up your sleeves.

    Are you on your own? Never.
    This is a great response. Nobody does it alone. Even in Extreme's example, his "uncle" had the carpenter who gave him a job (an no doubt taught him a few things). Also, all the trucks they used to build the roads did not get there magically, they traveled on infrastructure.
    0 0 0 0
     
     

  7. #7
    BGObsessed
    Join Date
    04-01-11
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Posts
    4,738
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    3
    Army

    Default

    Extreme Said:
    You and Burg both completely missed the point though. He didn't just say everyone has had help from someone along the way to get where they are, he said the government is responsible for everybody's success, so I gave examples of why he's full of ****. There's no need to sugarcoat it or make excuses for him, he just thinks everyone is stupid.
    Then Henry Said:
    Actually, he said "somebody" always helps you out. He used government in one example.

    That said, this line: "If you’ve got a business, you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen" was a really bad one. I get what he was trying to say but he said it very badly.
    But Henry the Mod hit 'edit' instead of 'quote' so this post is a little confusing.
    Last edited by Henry; 07-17-12 at 03:51 PM.
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    It's ok, I don't like you either.

  8. #8
    BGObsessed
    Join Date
    07-16-09
    Location
    Germantown, MD
    Posts
    362
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Minnesota

    Default

    This is why I love the internet, and news in general. They can seriously take nine words from a 2,000+ word monologue and run with it.

    He was right, though, your uncle didn't build anything on his own. They built it together. Using tools and machines that were produced by someone else, which they purchased using money produced and backed by their very own government. And I'm not sure how you think any city is regularly among the safest, healthiest, cleanest cities in the nation if not for their local governments.

    Nobody is discounting the hard work that your uncle put in to the neighborhoods he created. But to say that he created him completely on his own would be completely false. And to say that they are still today successful only because of what your uncle contributed, and without the help of organized government, would be completely ridiculous.

    If you want to call Obama a Commie Socialist, that's fine. He does put an emphasis on government's role in society. But at least give some context when you quote him.

    For what it's worth, here's the statement in context:

    If you were successful, somebody along the line gave you some help. There was a great teacher somewhere in your life. Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If you’ve got a business -- you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen. The Internet didn’t get invented on its own. Government research created the Internet so that all the companies could make money off the Internet.

    The point is, is that when we succeed, we succeed because of our individual initiative, but also because we do things together. There are some things, just like fighting fires, we don’t do on our own. I mean, imagine if everybody had their own fire service. That would be a hard way to organize fighting fires.

    So we say to ourselves, ever since the founding of this country, you know what, there are some things we do better together. That’s how we funded the GI Bill. That’s how we created the middle class. That’s how we built the Golden Gate Bridge or the Hoover Dam. That’s how we invented the Internet. That’s how we sent a man to the moon. We rise or fall together as one nation and as one people, and that’s the reason I’m running for President -- because I still believe in that idea. You’re not on your own, we’re in this together.
    Oh and btw, your uncle made $1.50/day. Not $2
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    The challenge ahead of us is never as great as the power behind us.

  9. #9
    BGObsessed
    Join Date
    07-16-11
    Posts
    1,024
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Thanks for the full quote, Ren.

    Why would anyone have a problem with that quote?
    0 0 0 0
     
     

  10. #10

    Join Date
    02-01-10
    Location
    Waynesboro, VA
    Posts
    9,169
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    65
    James Madison

    Default

    Come on Burgy. It was a poor choice of words. Reading through the entire context again, I completely understand what he was saying, as does most anyone who can read that passage unbiasedly, but he chose his words poorly, giving his opponents easy ammunition.
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    OLine. DLine. Secondary.

  11. #11
    BGObsessed
    Join Date
    07-16-09
    Location
    Germantown, MD
    Posts
    362
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Minnesota

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Goaldeje View Post
    Come on Burgy. It was a poor choice of words. Reading through the entire context again, I completely understand what he was saying, as does most anyone who can read that passage unbiasedly, but he chose his words poorly, giving his opponents easy ammunition.
    I don't think anyone is denying that it sounds bad out of context. The problem I have is that people are taking it out of context and assuming it is absolute.
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    The challenge ahead of us is never as great as the power behind us.

  12. #12

    Join Date
    02-01-10
    Location
    Waynesboro, VA
    Posts
    9,169
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    65
    James Madison

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by renaissance View Post
    I don't think anyone is denying that it sounds bad out of context. The problem I have is that people are taking it out of context and assuming it is absolute.
    I don't think it sounds great in context, IMO. I read the whole speech when I opened the thread this morning, and that line jumped out at me then. Granted, people are making it out to be much worse by taking it out of context, but even with context, I still think it was a poor choice of words.

    Just my opinion, though.
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    OLine. DLine. Secondary.

  13. #13
    BGObsessed
    Join Date
    07-16-11
    Posts
    1,024
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    To be fair, I don't like that single line. The 'graph or speech, however, holds a lot of truth in my opinion. I guess the question is whether we want to judge on the soundbite or the content.

    To be fairer, we almost always judge on the soundbite because that's what most of us only are exposed to.
    0 0 0 0
     
     

  14. #14
    BGObsessed
    Join Date
    07-16-09
    Location
    Germantown, MD
    Posts
    362
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Minnesota

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Goaldeje View Post
    I don't think it sounds great in context, IMO. I read the whole speech when I opened the thread this morning, and that line jumped out at me then. Granted, people are making it out to be much worse by taking it out of context, but even with context, I still think it was a poor choice of words.

    Just my opinion, though.
    I guess I should clarify that yes, that single sentence was a poor choice of words. However, if you read the whole speech or even the excerpt I posted it's obvious he's not trying to say that Extreme's uncle didn't help build that neighborhood.

    The news outlets could very well have chosen to quote the speech just a couple sentences later:

    The point is, is that when we succeed, we succeed because of our individual initiative, but also because we do things together.
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    The challenge ahead of us is never as great as the power behind us.

  15. #15

    Join Date
    02-01-10
    Location
    Waynesboro, VA
    Posts
    9,169
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    65
    James Madison

    Default

    I think we're all on the same page here. Fwiw, I would not want to be a politician right now (especially because of the whole selling your soul thing) because of the parsing and twisting of individual speeches and sound bites and all that. "News" outlets are the worst at all that right now.
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    OLine. DLine. Secondary.

  16. #16

    Join Date
    07-15-09
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    13,516
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Florida Atlantic

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Extreme View Post
    Actually, he said "somebody" always helps you out. He used government in one example.

    That said, this line: "If you’ve got a business, you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen" was a really bad one. I get what he was trying to say but he said it very badly.
    Ex, I assume your misquote was accidental?
    Posted via BGO Mobile Device
    0 0 0 0
     
     

  17. #17

    Join Date
    09-20-11
    Posts
    8,920
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    George Mason

    Default

    This is where I have problems with both parties.

    My parents worked their ass off to get over the 250k/year mark. They started out in a trailer in northern VA while my mother worked as a waitress at red lobster as my father worked as a night time security guard. Neither had a formal, higher education at the time. My dad used his money from the government for his time in the air force to get two associate degrees. He went on to have a very successful career working as one of the better detectives in the area; frequently being tasked out to work with the alphabet soup agencies because they needed his help.

    My mother got a job working the night shift for the postal service watching mail get sorted. She worked her ass off to climb the ladder at work and get promotion after promotion, eventually becoming a post master who did such a good job she was tasked to audit her fellow post masters to get their office in gear.

    My parents are both retired very high up in their organizations and made a lot of money along the way. I could only hope to retire as young as they did, with the amount of money they retired with.

    So it can be done. It's not easy, and at times you'll want to give up and take an easier route; but it can be done. And we've had plenty of fun along the way, in fact some of that fun is why we had to work so hard; we had too much fun at points


    Now I understand what he was trying to say. But I have a real problem with the way democrats approach tax policy, and the way they talk about people who make 200k+ a year. Many people act as though they didn't work very hard to get there; they somehow broke some rules, took more than they should have, or were given things. Sure, there are plenty of people who fit into that category.

    But some people risked their life on a regular basis going into burning buildings to save the rest of us (my father) and worked his ass off to climb the chain and make the money. He wasn't given a god damn thing.
    My mother has a less heroic job, but worked equally as hard and got to where she was with just a high school education.

    So when people act like everyone above the 200K/year bracket is somehow 'less deserving' of their money than the rest of us I take offense to it.

    That said I don't agree with the republicans tax policies either, and I think they're equally a joke. But at least they're not based on the idea that you can't be successful without others giving you things, that those with that kind of money are less deserving of it (or even better, can 'afford' higher taxes), or that your race somehow plays into it.


    Quote Originally Posted by RG3 Fan View Post
    How can anyone still not believe that Obama is basically a socialist at best.
    Because some of us work on the definition of socialist, while others work on the made-up republican media version of socialist.

    about 90% of the people I hear use the word socialist don't use it correctly. which i find funny because i believe it's taught in like 8th grade, and again in high school if you take government (VA requires it in highschool). so after learning about it twice in grade school people still can't use it correctly.
    Last edited by tshile; 07-16-12 at 10:30 AM.
    0 0 0 0
     
     

  18. #18

    Join Date
    07-22-09
    Posts
    7,590
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    ummm...you provide no definition.

    the accusation is that obama is trying to steer the country toward a European-like Social Democracy. I happen to agree.
    0 0 0 0
     
     

  19. #19

    Join Date
    09-20-11
    Posts
    8,920
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    George Mason

    Default

    i'm not being baited by you on this one fansince62.

    sorry, i've learned my lesson with you.

    if you need a definition we have these books called dictionaries. they tend to serve the purpose of providing definitions for words. they even list the words in alphabetical order for our convenience. there are a few of them available online if you don't have a physical copy handy. I think one also comes preloaded on the kindle if you have one of those.
    0 0 0 0
     
     

  20. #20

    Join Date
    07-22-09
    Posts
    7,590
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    sorry bubba...I waded through your story and waited for a punchline that never arrived. you're a bright guy and can do better.

    but your evasion is typical and characteristic of the scam you knowlingly are party to - assuming you do care and do take the time to inform yourself.

    Obama has said he is going to "transform" the country. what the hades do you think he means by this? I, for one, assign comparatively low priority to all the touchy feely mechanics you seem pre-occupied with. my view is squarely fixed on the goals and how Obama is executing his strategy to realize them.

    perhaps....just perhaps...you need to look elsewhere when it comes to assessing who is doing the real baiting.
    0 0 0 0
     
     

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 54
    Last Post: 07-02-10, 10:21 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-30-10, 07:21 AM
  3. Text input into the reply box and the dreaded "back button"
    By Dead Money in forum Feedback & Tech Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-15-10, 03:25 PM

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •