A Burgundy and Gold Obsession
'Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.' - Groucho Marx

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Disagree Disagree:  0
Post of the Year Post of the Year:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 49
  1. #1

    Join Date
    07-15-09
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    13,516
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Florida Atlantic

    Default 14 Reasons Why This is the Worst Congress Ever

    Its pretty bad...really bad.
    *********************************

    This week, the House of Representatives voted to repeal the Affordable Care Act. On its own, such a vote would be unremarkable. Republicans control the House, they oppose President Obama’s health reform law, and so they voted to get rid of it.

    But here’s the punchline: This was the 33rd time they voted to repeal the Affordable Care Act.
    Holding that vote once makes sense. Republicans had promised that much during the 2010 campaign. But 33 times? If doing the same thing twice and expecting a different result makes you insane, what does doing the same thing 33 times and expecting a different result make you?

    Well, it makes you the 112th Congress.

    Hating on Congress is a beloved American tradition. Hence Mark Twain’s old joke, “Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.” But the 112th Congress is no ordinary congress. It’s a very bad, no good, terrible Congress. It is, in fact, one of the very worst congresses we have ever had. Here, I’ll prove it:

    1. They’re not passing laws.
    Let’s start with the simplest measure of congressional productivity: the number of public bills passed into law per Congress. The best data on this comes from the annual “resume of congressional activity,” which goes back to the 80th Congress — the same Congress President Harry Truman dubbed the “do-nothing Congress.” But they did a lot more than this Congress:



    Click link for the rest of the article.
    0 0 0 0
     
     

  2. #2

    Join Date
    09-20-11
    Posts
    8,920
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    George Mason

    Default

    thanks for ruining my friday afternoon
    0 0 0 0
     
     

  3. #3
    BGObsessed
    Join Date
    04-01-11
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Posts
    4,738
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    3
    Army

    Default

    I thought it was pretty unanimous that the 111th Congress was the worst. Especially since most of the problems this one has are a direct carry over. And until this Congress drops to an 8 or 9 % rating like the last one did (maybe it was lower, I don't know for certain) I will stand by my opinion on that.

    After reading the article, I noticed some things......

    1. Everyone here remembers the single digit Congressional approval ratings of the 111th. It was huge news. HUGE. Yet, this article bases their assessment on only one poll, claiming this one has achieved single digits, and the last was only down to 11%. Both suck, there's no arguing that, but this article is using 1 poll to make its point - oddly, the one poll that makes their point.

    2. This entire article tries to imply that Congress and the House of Representatives are the same thing. They never come right out and say it, but that's the tone of a large piece of the article.

    3. Both this and the last Congress were Democrat controlled, and they are the two worst in history, and still after 3 years cannot pass a budget. Blaming this Congress entirely for the mess the last Congress created is the same as Obama supporters claiming he had work to do cleaning up W's mess. So why does Obama get a pass, but not Congress?

    4. They have not set back the recovery. The failed decisions of the 111th Congress prevented a real improvement.

    5. This Congress should not shoulder the blame of our credit downgrading. The out of control spending of the current administration, along with steamrolled approval of everything by the last Congress, in tandem with printing worthless money, caused our downgrading.

    This article gets a lot right, but it leaves a lot out too. By the time all is said and done, they very well could be the worst. but right now, they are nowhere near the level of fail our last Congress was at.

    For the record, I'm not implying there is any hidden political agenda to this article, because it obviously makes every effort to show why both parties in Congress suck, I just think the evidence doesn't yet support this one being worse than the last one.
    Last edited by Nobody; 07-13-12 at 04:17 PM.
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    It's ok, I don't like you either.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    07-15-09
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    13,516
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Florida Atlantic

    Default

    Nope, 111th had an 11% approval rate. This one beat it with a 10% approval rate in February.
    0 0 0 0
     
     

  5. #5
    BGObsessed
    Join Date
    04-01-11
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Posts
    4,738
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    3
    Army

    Default

    I think we can all agree that both are miserable failures. Rasmussen had the 111th in single digits. Just a difference in the polls, but both still miserable numbers.
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    It's ok, I don't like you either.

  6. #6
    BGObsessed
    Join Date
    07-16-11
    Posts
    1,024
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    I wonder when Congress was last good? I realize that's horribly subjective, but when did we last have a functional and effective Congress. Was it with Clinton? Washington?
    0 0 0 0
     
     

  7. #7

    Join Date
    09-20-11
    Posts
    8,920
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    George Mason

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by burgold View Post
    I wonder when Congress was last good? I realize that's horribly subjective, but when did we last have a functional and effective Congress. Was it with Clinton? Washington?
    Clinton.

    Now, you may not like what our congress passed back then (personally i'm not sure, i was very young then and haven't spent a whole lot of time researching it) but they got stuff done. You can look back and discuss what they did, how it did or didn't work.

    Right now the only thing congress seems to do is argue and get on TV.

    Remember when they all stood outside with tehir arms around each other talking about how they passed a budget bill?

    They wanted a ****ing cookie for passing a budget bill. Our congress. Thats where we stand right now.
    0 0 0 0
     
     

  8. #8
    BGObsessed
    Join Date
    04-01-11
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Posts
    4,738
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    3
    Army

    Default

    The Congress with Newt as Speaker of the House was the last good one, and they were a great one. They took the steps with Clinton to decide to work together to get things done for the good of the country, rather than give each other the finger for being on opposite sides.

    The clowns we have now are horrendous. You have the House, when they actually do agree to get something done, send a passed bill to the Senate. Then Harry Reid looks at who wrote it, and uses it as toilet paper if they're Republican. It doesn't matter if all the Democrats voted for it too, he just doesn't care. Then word gets back to Boehner, who cries and recreates Rodney King's famous speech three times a week, and they're all back to wearing dunce caps with their thumbs up their asses.

    Simply put, Congress will go nowhere as long as Harry Reid still has a job.
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    It's ok, I don't like you either.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    02-01-10
    Location
    Waynesboro, VA
    Posts
    9,169
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    65
    James Madison

    Default

    No that I want to defend Harry Reid, Ex, but given that he has seem the bill to repeal Obamacare 33 times at this point from the Republicans, perhaps he is just ignoring everything from the House that comes his way.
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    OLine. DLine. Secondary.

  10. #10
    BGObsessed
    Join Date
    04-01-11
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Posts
    4,738
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    3
    Army

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Goaldeje View Post
    No that I want to defend Harry Reid, Ex, but given that he has seem the bill to repeal Obamacare 33 times at this point from the Republicans, perhaps he is just ignoring everything from the House that comes his way.
    I'm not talking about the health care repeal, he does it with everything. Even important things, like the budget proposal Paul Ryan wrote last year. The vast majority of the House approved it. Then Harry Reid refused to allow it to see the floor, simply because it was written by Paul Ryan. And by most accounts, it was supposedly one of the better budget proposals ever written.
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    It's ok, I don't like you either.

  11. #11

    Join Date
    02-01-10
    Location
    Waynesboro, VA
    Posts
    9,169
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    65
    James Madison

    Default

    Check your sarcasm meter.
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    OLine. DLine. Secondary.

  12. #12
    BGObsessed
    Join Date
    07-16-11
    Posts
    1,024
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Unfortunately, a lot of bills have been written for the express purpose of getting rejected and to make a point. Either that or they are loaded with so much poison that they are completely impassable because of the damage it would do. The Ryan proposals are a good example, though poison pills are nothing new and are a tool both parties use way too much.

    It's a very dishonest part of what's become a normal part of the "game". A game all should be ashamed of and we citizens should be ashamed of if we continue to get suckered by it
    0 0 0 0
     
     

  13. #13
    BGObsessed
    Join Date
    04-01-11
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Posts
    4,738
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    3
    Army

    Default

    From what I heard being reported from both sides on Ryan's proposal, the only thing "wrong" with it, was it cut into some programs that both sides didn't want to have cuts from.

    But the talking heads all over tv agreed that overall, it was done for the good of the country, because both sides had to make concessions. But to Harry Reid, only the GOP shall make concessions apparently, because he refused to take it to a vote unless the House cut out the concessions the left would have to make. He refuses to compromise, and he is the poison that's killing this country - far more than any other politician in the country IMO.

    Why not let things go to a vote, and let the process work? It's BS that a single person can hold up a bill simply by refusing to send it to the floor. I could tolerate the BS a lot better if they would at least vote things down, rather than outright refusing to vote on them.
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    It's ok, I don't like you either.

  14. #14
    BGObsessed
    Join Date
    07-16-11
    Posts
    1,024
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Extreme View Post
    Why not let things go to a vote, and let the process work? It's BS that a single person can hold up a bill simply by refusing to send it to the floor. I could tolerate the BS a lot better if they would at least vote things down, rather than outright refusing to vote on them.
    Remember, a couple of years ago, when the dems would load bills that were supposed to supply support for the troops, but then had all this abortion language loaded into it just so Repubs would vote against it and the Dems could say... Look Repubs are voting against supporting the troops!

    Ryan's bill was much the same. There were several provisions that were insane in how and what it was trying to do. This is one of the reasons I wish we had a one idea one vote bill system or a line item veto.

    It was really an ugly bill that either was put forth knowing it had no chance, but to stir debate and ruffle feathers or it was entirely mad.

    I wish there was a way to only allow serious and honest bills through, but this Congress is really about games, corruption, and villification. Seems like there is so much effort to get the other guy that the country always comes last.
    0 0 0 0
     
     

  15. #15
    BGObsessed
    Join Date
    04-01-11
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Posts
    4,738
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    3
    Army

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by burgold View Post
    Remember, a couple of years ago, when the dems would load bills that were supposed to supply support for the troops, but then had all this abortion language loaded into it just so Repubs would vote against it and the Dems could say... Look Repubs are voting against supporting the troops!

    Ryan's bill was much the same. There were several provisions that were insane in how and what it was trying to do. This is one of the reasons I wish we had a one idea one vote bill system or a line item veto.

    It was really an ugly bill that either was put forth knowing it had no chance, but to stir debate and ruffle feathers or it was entirely mad.

    I wish there was a way to only allow serious and honest bills through, but this Congress is really about games, corruption, and villification. Seems like there is so much effort to get the other guy that the country always comes last.
    Not saying it isn't true, but I keep hearing people say the bill was loaded with poison. The only problem is, people keep saying that and not giving examples. Do you know of any examples out of curiosity of some of the bad things in the bill?
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    It's ok, I don't like you either.

  16. #16

    Join Date
    07-22-09
    Posts
    7,590
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Ezra Klein...every time Obama has a colonoscopy...Ezra's head pops out!

    We have a Senate that does nothing....all based on ideology. Good/bad/indifferent...at least the House votes on legislation and Representatives can return to constituents to defend their position. We have a Senate leader who refuses to allow a budget to even reach the floor for a vote.....for 3 years now. That's where the real joke falls.

    but..yea ezra.....how we all pine for the halcyon days of Pelosi! better prepare for even bigger doses of the Tea Party.
    0 0 0 0
     
     

  17. #17
    BGObsessed
    Join Date
    07-16-11
    Posts
    1,024
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Extreme View Post
    Not saying it isn't true, but I keep hearing people say the bill was loaded with poison. The only problem is, people keep saying that and not giving examples. Do you know of any examples out of curiosity of some of the bad things in the bill?
    I'd have to go back and re-look at stuff. I'll see if I have time. I am reluctant to say this was that due to memory. In general, I think it was an issue of extremes. The ratios were just so severe, but again, I would have to dig into the numbers again to really give you something concrete.
    0 0 0 0
     
     

  18. #18

    Join Date
    07-15-09
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    13,516
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Florida Atlantic

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fansince62 View Post
    Ezra Klein...every time Obama has a colonoscopy...Ezra's head pops out!

    We have a Senate that does nothing....all based on ideology. Good/bad/indifferent...at least the House votes on legislation and Representatives can return to constituents to defend their position. We have a Senate leader who refuses to allow a budget to even reach the floor for a vote.....for 3 years now. That's where the real joke falls.

    but..yea ezra.....how we all pine for the halcyon days of Pelosi! better prepare for even bigger doses of the Tea Party.
    So of course, its all the Democrats fault. Ha!

    They have not submitted a budget, because they know the Republicans will just vote it down. Why bother?
    0 0 0 0
     
     

  19. #19
    BGObsessed
    Join Date
    04-01-11
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Posts
    4,738
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    3
    Army

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lanky Livingston View Post
    So of course, its all the Democrats fault. Ha!

    They have not submitted a budget, because they know the Republicans will just vote it down. Why bother?
    Bull ****. They had a super majority for 2 years. What excuse are you gonna make for that? They didn't propose it, because they just knew they would block themselves?
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    It's ok, I don't like you either.

  20. #20

    Join Date
    07-15-09
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    13,516
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Florida Atlantic

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by burgold View Post
    I'd have to go back and re-look at stuff. I'll see if I have time. I am reluctant to say this was that due to memory. In general, I think it was an issue of extremes. The ratios were just so severe, but again, I would have to dig into the numbers again to really give you something concrete.
    Well for one, the his plans for Medicare would have punished seniors.

    Many conservatives were against the Ryan plan as well, I doubt it would have ever passed.
    0 0 0 0
     
     

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. 112th Congress
    By Elephant in forum The 5 O'Clock Club
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01-07-11, 05:43 PM
  2. Top 5 reasons the redskins won't pass on Clausen
    By brandies in forum Sons of Washington
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 03-01-10, 05:20 PM
  3. WPC: Reasons for and against selecting a quarterback at four
    By Pappas in forum Sons of Washington
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-07-10, 04:05 PM

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •