A Burgundy and Gold Obsession
'Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.' - Groucho Marx

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Disagree Disagree:  0
Post of the Year Post of the Year:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Indiana

Default Props to some Texas A&M Folks

I'd like to express my gratitude to some fine folks at Texas A&M University in their apparently successful efforts to interdict another violation of decency by a renowned group of haters intent on spreading their degenerate insanity.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1653002.html
    0 0 0 0

I'm giving it a 2-4 year window. Looking for improvement in all areas. Redskins, you're on the clock.

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    James Madison

Good for them. Westboro Baptist is a bunch of ... well, things I can't repeat. Trash, as my Grandma would say. Just trash. Well done, A&M students.
    0 0 0 0

OLine. DLine. Secondary.

2016 BGO Survivor Champ

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Florida State

I have to give those students and all those who are able to block these scum from disrupting the services, I am not sure I could refrain from violence if I saw them actively disrupt the services of a fallen soldier.

It takes everything I have to refrain from the few protesters they have outside Arlington National Cemetery when I go down every Memorial Day. If they were more active, raising attention to themselves...I would probably not be able to contain myself! Like I have said, Free Speech is one thing, but it doesn't mean all things need to be said.
    0 0 0 0

The more things change...the more they stay the same. It's like deja vu all over again.

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Elephant View Post
    I have to give those students and all those who are able to block these scum from disrupting the services, I am not sure I could refrain from violence if I saw them actively disrupt the services of a fallen soldier.

It takes everything I have to refrain from the few protesters they have outside Arlington National Cemetery when I go down every Memorial Day. If they were more active, raising attention to themselves...I would probably not be able to contain myself! Like I have said, Free Speech is one thing, but it doesn't mean all things need to be said.
    agree.

and the same goes for Union/OWS types who prevent others from working and propagate violence on a large scale
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Florida Atlantic

Gig 'em, Aggies! Great job.
    0 0 0 0

2016 BGO Survivor Champ

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Florida State

Was that a typo Lanky? Because gigging them is what I would like to do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4o31...yer_embedded#!
    0 0 0 0

The more things change...the more they stay the same. It's like deja vu all over again.

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Florida Atlantic

Gig 'em is a Texas A&M shout one of many. They've got some strange traditions.
    Posted via BGO Mobile Device
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    James Madison

Very conflicted today, re this article:

Westboro Baptist Church protesters will soon be severely limited in their ability to disrupt military funerals, after Congress passed a sweeping veterans bill this week that includes restrictions on such demonstrations.

According to "The Honoring America’s Veterans and Caring for Camp Lejeune Families Act of 2012," which is now headed to President Barack Obama's desk, demonstrators will no longer be allowed to picket military funerals two hours before or after a service. The bill also requires protestors to be at least 300 feet away from grieving family members.

This aspect of the legislation was introduced by Sen. Olympia Snowe (R-Maine), who, at the urging of a teenage constituent, proposed new limitations on military funeral demonstrations as a response to a 2011 Supreme Court case that ruled such actions were protected under the First Amendment.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...usaolp00000009

If anyone deserves to be banned or quieted, it's those asshats. I have a visceral hatred for those people.

However. Sigh. I truly value the First Amendment a great deal. It's one of the many, many things that make this country great. Those who argue slippery slope on other subjects, I would be interested in your take here. This legislation is tatamount to revoking an aspect of free speech for a church. Not great precedent, imo.

Then again, I hate those ****ers. Very conflicted.
    0 0 0 0

OLine. DLine. Secondary.

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Minnesota

I believe people have a right to free speech, but that right comes within reason. When someone's speech is so clearly hateful and directed at specific segments of the population, then I think it becomes problematic.

Like you, though, I am frankly conflicted about the issue.

I just wish I could understand why they do what they do. More than anything, I want to know what makes someone feel better about themselves by protesting at a person's funeral.
    0 0 0 0

The challenge ahead of us is never as great as the power behind us.

2016 BGO Survivor Champ

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Florida State

Free speech is already limited in certain aspects, rightfully so. You can't falsely yell fire at a movie theatre for a reason.
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Florida Atlantic

I'm with you, Goal, very conflicted. My immediate reaction is that these people are the scum of the earth, the lowest of the low, and they should be stopped at all costs. However, my gut tells me the cost is too high here.

There is a valid argument for strictly limiting this to funerals - the men and women who have died for this country have certainly earned 4 hours free of vile hate-speech at their funerals. I'm not sure where the line is...
    0 0 0 0

2016 BGO FF Champion
    Ugly American

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Not conflicted whatsoever. Not sure how anyone could be, really.

Types of speech/displays are not allowed at a number of venues. This is no different.
    0 0 0 0

"Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and **** the prom queen"

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    George Mason

Quote Originally Posted by Ax View Post
    Not conflicted whatsoever. Not sure how anyone could be, really.

Types of speech/displays are not allowed at a number of venues. This is no different.
    Being conflicted has to do with protecting speech and the right to make it.

The first amendment was specifically created to protect unpopular speech - not popular speech. the supreme court and the founding fathers were very clear about that.

Just because the speech is seen by you (and me, to be honest) as hateful and mean-spirited doesn't mean we should just take away their right to do it.

I'm not saying I want them protesting outside funerals, and to be completely honest I'm not even saying I'm against this bill - I haven't read it to know exactly what kind of speech it limits and how (our media does a terrible job of giving us facts like these, so they're hard to trust. you have to read these things yourself).

I'm just not going to line up behind it and support it blindly without understanding it. I think any time we limit free speech we need to do so very carefully and very thoughtfully. Emotionally reacting to people like the Westboro Baptist Church is not something I would consider to be wise.

Unfavorable and unpopular speech is how this country was founded; hence our desire to protect it. If this bill does anything outside of prevent this group of people from protesting outside of military funerals then we should be very wary of it...
    0 0 0 0

2016 BGO FF Champion
    Ugly American

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

That's wonderful t. Problem is, nobody's free speech is being infringed upon here. Only the location where it can be exercised. Which happens every day, in a number of venues. This is no big deal.
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    George Mason

Quote Originally Posted by Ax View Post
    That's wonderful t. Problem is, nobody's free speech is being infringed upon here. Only the location where it can be exercised. Which happens every day, in a number of venues. This is no big deal.
    Have you read the bill?
    Because I haven't.
    And what these 'news outlets' say is worth jack ****. Sorry, but it is. How many times have we passed bills and seen unintended consequences? The source links in the news outlets are to blogs for crying out loud... blogs...

You stated you didn't understand how someone could be conflicted with it - I explained how.

You can claim it's no big deal, but I will stand by my claim that any time we limit free speech it is a big deal.
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    James Madison

Besides which, I hated the Green-zone free speech areas (or whatever they were called) during the W administration. You can only protest 2 miles away from where the President is touring? Absurd.

"No no, Mr Adams. You can dump the tea in protest, but for God's sake, not in the front part of the Boston Harbor - everyone will see it, and will know how much you hate Georgie-boy that way. Please, dump it in a cove off the side where can limit the negative exposure. Please."
    0 0 0 0

OLine. DLine. Secondary.

2016 BGO FF Champion
    Ugly American

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tshile View Post
    Have you read the bill?
    Because I haven't.
    No, I haven't. Sounds pretty simple though. No protesting at a military funeral.

And what these 'news outlets' say is worth jack ****. Sorry, but it is. How many times have we passed bills and seen unintended consequences? The source links in the news outlets are to blogs for crying out loud... blogs...
    Agree the news outlets, ALL of them, are a joke. But I can't think of a single thing wrong with not allowing protesters, of any kind, being allowed to have their "right", add more pain and misery to already grieving family and friends.

You stated you didn't understand how someone could be conflicted with it - I explained how.
    Completely unnecessary too. I'm not so ****ing stupid that I didn't understand what the argument was. I just think it's fiction to think free speech is being denied in this instance. And that there is no reason to be conflicted.

You can claim it's no big deal, but I will stand by my claim that any time we limit free speech it is a big deal.
    And I stand by my statement that, in this case, it is no big deal.
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    George Mason

The bill you've admittedly not read that's about limiting free speech isn't a big deal?

Yikes.

And don't get offended, you made a statement saying you didn't understand how anyone could be conflicted. I explained it. No one is claiming you're stupid. If you want to avoid that in the future maybe be a bit more clear with your statements... instead of saying you didn't understand the other side's issue.
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Florida Atlantic

ACA - nobody reads it, conservatives poop a brick (rightfully so).

Bill limiting the first amendment - nobody reads it and its just fine and dandy!

Come on, Ax. You can see the hypocrisy there, right?
    0 0 0 0

2016 BGO FF Champion
    Ugly American

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tshile View Post
    And don't get offended, you made a statement saying you didn't understand how anyone could be conflicted. I explained it. No one is claiming you're stupid. If you want to avoid that in the future maybe be a bit more clear with your statements... instead of saying you didn't understand the other side's issue.
    I didn't feel the need to be so, "Captain Obvious". You obviously did. My bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanky Livingston View Post
    ACA - nobody reads it, conservatives poop a brick (rightfully so).

Bill limiting the first amendment - nobody reads it and its just fine and dandy!

Come on, Ax. You can see the hypocrisy there, right?
    You're kidding, right?

You can't be comparing me to someone who actually has to vote on this, or any other bill, can you? This is a sub forum on a football website, correct?

Where's Captain Obvious when I need him?
    0 0 0 0