A Burgundy and Gold Obsession
'Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.' - Groucho Marx

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Disagree Disagree:  0
Post of the Year Post of the Year:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    James Madison

Default Attempting some Levity

Not sure this will work, but let's give it a shot.

List out political/religious thoughts that make you go WTF?

For instance, it is always amusing to me that liberals are against capitol punishment, but for abortion. They protest killing people who have been convicted of doing something wrong, but are fine with killing innocent babies?

(And I know this issue is a lot more nuanced than this. I know. Just trying to have fun here)

Got any?
    0 0 0 0

OLine. DLine. Secondary.

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Breaking news: Mermaids are not real, U.S. government declares

http://www.latimes.com/news/nation/n...,3534340.story

Sorry to be the ones to break it to you, folks, but mermaids are the Sasquatch of the sea: That is, they just don't exist.

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration has taken the unusual step of making a public declaration that half-human, half-fish creatures inhabit only our imagination -- not our oceans.
    "No evidence of aquatic humanoids has ever been found," NOAA's National Ocean Service division said in a recent blog posting.

Typically, the division is tasked with addressing coastal threats such as climate change, population growth, port congestion and contaminants. But it waded into more whimsical water recently after the Animal Planet network aired a show titled "Mermaids: The Body Found."

------------------------

Our hard earned taxes going into a study designed to break Ariel's heart.
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Florida Atlantic

Hmm...I question a thread attempting levity that starts out with abortion as the first topic.

On that topic: I find it ironic that Republicans will fight tooth and nail for a individual's right to choose whether or not they own a handgun, but then turn around and fight tooth and nail AGAINST an individual's right to choose what they do with their own bodies. Its one of the major flaws of the right that I just can't reconcile in my mind.

To maintain the bipartisan nature of this thread: I don't understand people who claim to be environmentalists who drive SUVs & trucks, waste electricity, and are generally apathetic about these types of things.
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by burgold View Post
    Breaking news: Mermaids are not real, U.S. government declares

http://www.latimes.com/news/nation/n...,3534340.story

Sorry to be the ones to break it to you, folks, but mermaids are the Sasquatch of the sea: That is, they just don't exist.

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration has taken the unusual step of making a public declaration that half-human, half-fish creatures inhabit only our imagination -- not our oceans.
    "No evidence of aquatic humanoids has ever been found," NOAA's National Ocean Service division said in a recent blog posting.

Typically, the division is tasked with addressing coastal threats such as climate change, population growth, port congestion and contaminants. But it waded into more whimsical water recently after the Animal Planet network aired a show titled "Mermaids: The Body Found."

------------------------

Our hard earned taxes going into a study designed to break Ariel's heart.
    not directed at BURGOLD: but the government paid someone money to reach this declaration?

WTF?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I find it hard to reconcile Liberals' proclamations for choice while constantly forcing outcomes through government edicts/mandatory compliance policies....WTF?!!!!!!
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    James Madison

Quote Originally Posted by fansince62 View Post
    not directed at BURGOLD: but the government paid someone money to reach this declaration?

WTF?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Yep, pretty much my conclusion too.

I find it hard to reconcile Liberals' proclamations for choice while constantly forcing outcomes through government edicts/mandatory compliance policies....WTF?!!!!!!
    Fair critique. Fairly ironic.
    0 0 0 0

OLine. DLine. Secondary.

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Florida Atlantic

Quote Originally Posted by Goaldeje View Post
    Fair critique. Fairly ironic.
    But then why doesn't it work both ways?
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lanky Livingston View Post

it does.

Self proclaimed Conservatives are more then comfortable voting for subsidies and exclusions/exemptions that benefit their constituents.

Self proclaimed Conservatives sometimes have no problem with egregious intrusions into privacy.
    Last edited by fansince62; 07-06-12 at 10:58 AM.
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    James Madison

It does. Irony cuts both ways, imo.
    0 0 0 0

OLine. DLine. Secondary.

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

WTF?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    That was my thought too.
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Florida Atlantic

So, its now alleged that Romney lied about his Bain Capital exit date. So we get to choose between a liar and a liar in November! Too bad there's no third-party liar to choose from...

SIGH
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    George Mason

What is currently making me go WTF is two things, both center around our budget and the approach both sides are taking to them.

first - the idea that the way you correct a spending and income problem does not include both spending cuts and raising taxes. we're spending too much money, and we're not bringing enough in. you fix it by spending less money and bringing more in. i'm of the opinion that once the budget is under control we can discuss a permanent tax structure that makes sense to support what we need. until then lets start cutting programs/spending and raising taxes.

second - the idea that we have this out of control budget, but that X program cannot be cut because it only reduces the budget by YY million dollars. that is the dumbest line of logic ever; it only saves us YY million dollars? how is that even a rational argument that people accept. what makes it more ridiculous is that whatever side is making this claim, will turn around the next day and suggest we cut the other side's program even though it'll save less. we have a huge problem with spending in this country, we need to cut any and all programs that can be cut; I don't care if it only saves us 100$/year, if it doesn't need to be there it needs to go. (or if it can be shrunk it needs to be shrunk)

btw - this will mean an increase in unemployment. yes, being an adult and being responsible about your finances sometimes means making tough decisions.
    0 0 0 0

2016 BGO Survivor Champ

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Florida State

So, its now alleged that Romney lied about his Bain Capital exit date. So we get to choose between a liar and a liar in November! Too bad there's no third-party liar to choose from...

SIGH
    Alleged and convicted in a court of public opinion. Have you hard evidence of this yet? Has it been proven?

Yesterday Jason LaConfora said RG3 was pushing for Josh Gordon, did that turn out to be correct?

See what I did there?
    0 0 0 0

The more things change...the more they stay the same. It's like deja vu all over again.

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    George Mason

SIGH
    welcome to my world.

my take on the election is:

- we can vote for a guy who passed a bill that allows our military to indefinitely detain our citizens without trial and without probable cause

or

- we can vote for a guy that (if he was in office at the time) would have passed a bill that allows our military to indefinitely detain our citizens without trial and without probable cause

romney and obama are not all that different on some pretty important issues. which is why I find the divide in this country over them comical. our politicians are extremely good at keeping us distracted with a lot of stupid arguing while passing some pretty crucial and important stuff in secrecy behind the curtain.

personally i'd rather not vote for either of them, but to be honest I don't think the guy I'd like to vote for exists or would survive in this political climate/structure
    Last edited by tshile; 07-12-12 at 12:27 PM.
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Florida Atlantic

Quote Originally Posted by tshile View Post
    first - the idea that the way you correct a spending and income problem does not include both spending cuts and raising taxes. we're spending too much money, and we're not bringing enough in. you fix it by spending less money and bringing more in. i'm of the opinion that once the budget is under control we can discuss a permanent tax structure that makes sense to support what we need. until then lets start cutting programs/spending and raising taxes.
    EXACTLY. Taxes are at a 30-year low; we can afford to raise them a bit.

second - the idea that we have this out of control budget, but that X program cannot be cut because it only reduces the budget by YY million dollars. that is the dumbest line of logic ever; it only saves us YY million dollars? how is that even a rational argument that people accept. what makes it more ridiculous is that whatever side is making this claim, will turn around the next day and suggest we cut the other side's program even though it'll save less. we have a huge problem with spending in this country, we need to cut any and all programs that can be cut; I don't care if it only saves us 100$/year, if it doesn't need to be there it needs to go. (or if it can be shrunk it needs to be shrunk)
    Yeah, I hate this as well. Both sides do it. I was just talking a coworker about how Congresses attempts to repeal Obamacare have cost $50M of taxpayer money. His response: "Its only $50M."

Quote Originally Posted by Elephant View Post
    Alleged and convicted in a court of public opinion. Have you hard evidence of this yet? Has it been proven?

Yesterday Jason LaConfora said RG3 was pushing for Josh Gordon, did that turn out to be correct?

See what I did there?
    I posted it in the levity thread, while bashing all politicians, and yet you feel the need to jump in and defend the right?

And I'd say SEC filings are evidence enough, but I didn't start a thread on it b/c I didn't feel it was worth discussing. Feel free though!
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    James Madison
    0 0 0 0

OLine. DLine. Secondary.

2016 BGO Survivor Champ

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Florida State

I posted it in the levity thread, while bashing all politicians, and yet you feel the need to jump in and defend the right?

Again, basing your response on my political stance and not what I actually said, you're attempting to put words in my mouth.

I simply questioned the validity of the "alleged" offense. I mean Lanky, the word allegedly is there for a reason.
    0 0 0 0

The more things change...the more they stay the same. It's like deja vu all over again.

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Florida Atlantic

Debate is unpossible anymore. Its just a lot of finger pointing and screaming "nuh-uh! YOUR SIDE IS WRONG!"
    Posted via BGO Mobile Device
    0 0 0 0

2016 BGO Survivor Champ

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Florida State

Debate is unpossible anymore. Its just a lot of finger pointing and screaming "nuh-uh! YOUR SIDE IS WRONG!"

Was that in general, or directed toward my last statement?
    0 0 0 0

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    Army

There's a difference though. When the right does it, they just do it and don't try to mask it. When the left does it, they do it and pretend they aren't doing it.
    0 0 0 0

It's ok, I don't like you either.