• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Double Amputee Oscar Pistorius to Compete in the 2012 Summer Olympics

• Thread starter Lanky Livingston
  • Start date

Lanky Livingston

This is stirring up a lot of controversy, with regards to whether or not Oscar has an advantage over the other competitors.

I'm having a hard time deciding which side I fall on. Both sides have a pretty obvious case:

Non-advantage - the dude is a double amputee, how can he possibly have an advantage over anyone with two legs? He is at a disadvantage just walking around.

Advantage - his Cheetah Flex-Foot carbon fiber transtibial artificial limbs" are specifically designed to give him additional spring to propel him forward, seemingly a mechanical advantage over other runners.

There have been studies that show both sides, but I think this comes down to the spirit of the Olympics: humans competing at the most basic level, with their muscles, bones, tendons, etc; its supposed to be the purest form of athletic competition. Whether or not its fair to Oscar, I feel letting him compete opens a door that should not be opened.

Still a pretty cool story though.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/...icleid=1061143621&srvc=sports&position=recent

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.