• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Rumor: I Have A Little Inside Information--Jeff Demps

Just got off the phone. He's definitely going to "whoever offers him the most money."

He just got back from England. The teams offering the most money right now, in order:

Tampa
New England, who has just increased their offer to come close to the Bucs.
Redskins
Green Bay

LL ‏@LL_HTTR247
yep RT @McD5fl @LL_HTTR247 Teams going after Jeff Demps, in order of $ offered right now: Tampa Bay, New England, Redskins. Get him in LL.

What does everyone think? With THT's health questionable, and Helu maybe getting beaten by Royster......would we step up our offer?

I know he's not a WR, but I tend to see Demps as a potential replacement for someone like Banks.

Demps becomes your returner, Banks becomes expendable.

Guy sounds like a flake to me...first he dismisses the NFL altogether, now the only thing that matters is the money?

And can he even play? That's hardly a minor consideration.

Pass. Let some other team play roulette.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk

Thats kind of the point I was trying to make. Not that he's a flake, but that if he were on our roster I just would see him as a special teams guy at best

Guy sounds like a flake to me...first he dismisses the NFL altogether, now the only thing that matters is the money?

And can he even play? That's hardly a minor consideration.

Pass. Let some other team play roulette.

He's anything but a flake. Personality-wise, he's identical to RG3' but even more down to earth.

Not many flakes train and run in the Olympics:

If Demps, who runs the football and races on the track for Florida, has any kind of strutting alter ego, it's very well-hidden. The Gators' leading rusher last year is soft-spoken, not spotlight-seeking.

"He is the best kid I ever coached -- not just talent-wise, but character-wise," said Walter Banks, Demps' mentor at South Lake High in Florida. "He's the one that if there are a thousand people out there waiting for his autograph, he wants to stay until he's signed for everybody. He doesn't want to let anyone down."

http://blogs.nfl.com/2012/08/14/oly...k-into-the-league/?module=HP11_content_stream

I wouldn't be pissed at him for wanting to take his shot in the Olympics--RG3 tried to do the same. Had RG3 made it and won, who's to say where his career would have gone?

And Demps can definitely play. He was the Gators top rusher against some pretty respectable competition in the SEC.

His partner in the Gators tandem, Chris Rainey, was drafted in the fourth and lit up the NFL last weekend.

I respect all that...it doesn't account for the whirlwind shift from 'I have no interest in the NFL' to putting yourself up for auction to the highest bidder, seemingly in the blink of an eye. I am not questioning his previous accomplishments, I'm questioning how serious he is about an NFL career.

I respect all that...it doesn't account for the whirlwind shift from 'I have no interest in the NFL' to putting yourself up for auction to the highest bidder, seemingly in the blink of an eye. I am not questioning his previous accomplishments, I'm questioning how serious he is about an NFL career.

I understand. I think the decision to try for the Olympics wasn't an easy one for him, but if given the same, possibly once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, many people would do the same. As far as his quote of "having no interest in the NFL" that might be from youth, his agent's request, or from wanting to attract track endorsements at the time.

It's not on par with committing a crime, or using bad judgement.

From the same article quoted above:

"Deep down inside, I think he really wants to play football," Banks said. "But he just wants to know where football is going to take him."

"I love to run. I'm a football player, but at the same time, I do love track," Demps said. "It's the same to me; as long as you're out there competing and giving your all, it doesn't matter if there's one person or 100,000 watching me. If I'm doing the best for myself and my team, I'm going to be happy."

I can tell you this for sure. He doesn't drink. He doesn't go to bars. He doesn't go clubbing. He's the shyest athlete ever, and he comes from a modest, big blue-collar family.

Barring injury, it's unlikely that we will outbid Tampa or New England. But you never know.

Appreciate that and I trust your assessment...'Flake' may have been a loaded word I should have avoided since I wasn't really commenting on his character, but rather his seeming commitment level. Being the guy you describe him to be, still curious to me that its all about the money (if that's being accurately depicted) since starting an NFL career is about a lot more than that for smart athletes.

Sounds like a longshot he'll end up in DC if the money is the only factor.

Appreciate that and I trust your assessment...'Flake' may have been a loaded word I should have avoided since I wasn't really commenting on his character, but rather his seeming commitment level. Being the guy you describe him to be, still curious to me that its all about the money (if that's being accurately depicted) since starting an NFL career is about a lot more than that for smart athletes.

Sounds like a longshot he'll end up in DC if the money is the only factor.

My depiction wasn't fully explained. I don't think he has a preference right now. To my knowledge, we were the only team that sent two representatives to the US trials. So maybe he will take that into consideration.

It's still unlikely. New England could use him well in that offense. And Tampa is offering the most money.

Ty Squire. It seemed like another bleacher report.

Fresh update, 10:30 am.

First, his decision is expected within just a few days.

3 teams have now stepped up their financial offers......and one completely out of the blue. New order, in ranking of $ offered, and chances of signing:

Dallas: Troy Aikman is now in contact with him.

Washington: We have increased our offer, and have very serious interest. We continue to talk with him on the phone.

Tampa Bay: Still interested, but now outbid by both Dallas and Washington.

Jeff's father is driving all over Orlando, showing off his son's silver medal. I may have a funny picture to post by this weekend.

Gross, if he's even considering the Cowboys, I don't want him. Sucka!

News reports now say Demps' decision is expected Monday.

http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/story/19286688/jeff-demps-decision-expected-monday

From the article:

Last points on Demps: He's now heard from every NFL team, more than he expected. #Bucs definitely a front runner. Decision likely by Monday

— Stephen Holder (@HolderStephen) August 15, 2012

It's rare that a RB like this becomes available in the middle of preseason. Every single team? That's crazy.

Sounding like we may have a decision by tomorrow. Broncos and Jets making a push

No matter what happens, thanks for updating this with us McD. Always nice to have someone with inside info.

No matter what happens, thanks for updating this with us McD. Always nice to have someone with inside info.

Happy to share. I should have an update here shortly. I do expect a decision to come quickly.

I love our current crop of RBs. I'm great with them.

That being said, if a NFL team wants the youngest, most athletically gifted players in the country.....they don't get much better than RG3 and Demps. Both are absolute lightning.

I would clear a space on the roster for that kind of potential. Banks comes to mind quickly.
Maybe even one of the RBs. Give him Banks' money.

Demps has Bo Jackson, Deion, Darell Green-type speed. He's faster than Sproles, faster than Percy Harvin.....that kid can go. A two sports star. It's no wonder that he's drawing so much interest.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.