• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Rumor: I Have A Little Inside Information--Jeff Demps

I'd love to see a trick play like this :

RG3 hands the ball to Demps.....

RG3 follows behind Demps until Demps is about to be tackled (if he doesn't actually go all the way himself)......

Right before Demps is tackled he pitches behind him to RG3 who runs it the rest of the way for a TD !!

Between the 2 of them, one of them is bound to go all the way !!

We would have the fastest backfield in the league Fear. It would be incredible. All it would take is for a hole to open up.

On another note, RG3 not making the Olympic team may have been a huge blessing for us.

Update....just got off the phone with his family member. Olympic Spoiler.....stop right here if you don't want to read the rest.......

Jeff Demps was replaced by Tyson Gay. The US took silver. Although Demps wasn't in the final race, he also gets a silver for having raced in the qualifiers. Now.....the really bad news.......

He is likely going into the NFL upon returning from England. That's great. The bad?

The Tampa Bay Bucs have just thrown a ton of money at him. The New England Patriots have also offered more money than us. And of course, our Redskins.

Right now, it looks like he will end up in Tampa. Unless we become more aggressive. The emergence of Alfred Morris, and our cap constraints may prevent that however.

Both Tampa and New England have outbid us at this point, with the Tampa offer way out in front.

**** !!
And we have to play them week 4

Get Raheeem Morris on the phone with him, so he can explain to Demps how much more dysfunctional Tampa is, and how it's not about the money, if he's going to be miserably rich in Tampa !!

Now you folks understand why I got upset at the dollars thrown to the 30 year old broken down Jammal Brown last year.

By making a move like that and past sins like Haynesworth and DeAngelo Hall, the Redskins who SHOULD have PLENTY of money to go out and sign players instead have to sit on their hands and do nothing while a small-market briar patch team like the Bucs outbids us for players.

In re Brown, I would much rather have patched in 2011 with someone else and then been able to sign Eric Winston this past offseason at RT.

Those are the opportunity costs of making personnel mistakes. The reason I harp on the Brown contract is he was hurt WHEN the Redskins resigned him to that deal.

If someone else wanted to sign an eighth year player who has only gotten on the field for five and a half of those eight seasons, my response would have been to let Brown go.

BT, you're way off here.

Demps is really fast, but its not like he's a sure thing. By NOT throwing a bunch of money at him, the FO is being fiscally responsible. This is not them being limited by past mistakes (because let's be honest, they can always work around that), this is them saying "we're going to pay X dollars for an unknown asset; let team Y pay them extra."

BT, you're way off here.

Demps is really fast, but its not like he's a sure thing. By NOT throwing a bunch of money at him, the FO is being fiscally responsible. This is not them being limited by past mistakes (because let's be honest, they can always work around that), this is them saying "we're going to pay X dollars for an unknown asset; let team Y pay them extra."

Where did the draft experts have him rank if he was drafted ?

BT, I happen to agree about Jamaal Brown's contract, but I think the bull**** salary cap penalty served up from Mara and his butt monkey are far more to blame for our off season constraints than Brown's contract.

BT, I happen to agree about Jamaal Brown's contract, but I think the bull**** salary cap penalty served up from Mara and his butt monkey are far more to blame for our off season constraints than Brown's contract.

agree on this one.

I too, agree with both BT and Goal. And I'm not even talking about Jeff Demps. He may not even be a star.

But better decisions would yield us more flexibility. We could have beefed up that RT position, or we could have signed some secondary help from Philly.

Oh, and Demps to the Bucs makes sense. He's a local guy, so they know a lot about him. Also, Tampa has had awful luck finding a RB for the last few years. They'll throw money at just about anyone right now.

Where did the draft experts have him rank if he was drafted ?

The consensus seems to an early to mid third rounder. If someone got excited, maybe a second.

Considering the picks we used to move up, it would have been nice to have basically added another third rounder to the squad.

I like who we already have, but competition never hurts. Actually, I'd take him over Hightower right now.

Opinions on where he would go vary greatly, mainly because he dropped out of the draft so long ago.

Kipper liked him, but most mocks completely dismissed him once he announced his intentions about the Olympics.

Last edited:
To get an idea of how much Demps, 22, may have missed by not entering the NFL Draft, three running backs taken in the fourth round last year all received four-year, $2.5 million contracts.

Demps was unaware of his NFL Draft stock and never investigated it much.
"I'm not sure if I really wanted to know," he said. "I wasn't going to pursue that career anyway."

Kiper believed he would have been irresistible to NFL teams.

"The speed would have been something that would have gotten everybody's attention," Kiper said. "He could have very easily tested out as the fastest player in the draft.

"People would have viewed that as a kid who could change the scoreboard at any point in time."

Opinions on where he would go vary greatly, mainly because he dropped out of the draft so long ago.

Kipper liked him, but most mocks completely dismissed him once he announced his intentions about the Olympics.

That's a good point, I didn't think about the effect his Olympic plans would have on his draft stock.

No worries Lanky. They may have all been right: A projected third rounder when it appeared he would go the route of the NFL, and then eventually undrafted. No one took a chance on him changing his mind. I really posted this thread for one main reason, but have come to learn many things from it in time. Pretty cool, really.

1. I never knew that a potential Olympian runner could make $400k a year in endorsements--and not even take hits. With lawsuits and concussions becoming more publicized, I now see how that could be attractive to him, and his family members. 8 years running, or 3-5 getting pounded?

2. In the last 24 hours, I've learned a little about Olympic politics. In the preliminary, Demps was part of a four man team that broke the US record. No matter--the coach still replaced him at the last minute. The trust is now broken in his mind. If the same coach is there four years from now, won't he pull him again? Who wants to train four years for that? According to his family, he no longer looks at the Olympics four years from now as being guaranteed. The kid....young kid......is absolutely crushed right now.

3. What if they had won Olympic gold? Jay Leno, Dave Letterman, maybe a Wheatie's box? Maybe a Nike US shoe contract for sprinters? How much potential fame and fortune did he just lose? Will his current sponsors continue to pay a guy who didn't even run in the final $400k next year? I doubt it.

4. The biggest reason why I made this thread....I can't tell you how impressed I am. Not with Demps. But rather, with Bruce and Shanny for not only knowing who this kid is, but for actually sending two team representatives to the US Olympic trials to try and sign him if he faltered.

Think about that for a minute. How intelligent was that? With the "Capgate" scandal in full effect, and with the FO scrambling to look not only at legal options, but also focusing on player solutions.....to have the competency to also go after Demps--a player that many FOs thought was a lost cause? Brilliant!

Now compare that type of planning and execution to what we suffered through with Vinny. I'll bet Vinny still doesn't even know who Jeff Demps is.

Usain Bolt to the NFL? Nope. But we came pretty damn close to having our own version.

This is a fascinating story to me. And even if we don't get him in the end.....we've still succeeded.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.