• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Any Numismatists Around These Parts?

Nobody

Super Bowl MVP
Reaction score
Military Branch
Army
Just curious to see if I'm the only one. I have a lot of interesting stuff, thought it would be fun to share with others who enjoy the hobby.

I had to google what Numismatists were. Yes, I try to collect as much currency as I can! Unfortunately, I also have a bad habit of spending it as well. :(

My mother actually is... She had a coworker who traveled the world and brought back currency (mostly coins) from other areas of the world. My wife and I actually just brought some belizian money back for her.

I'm going down there this weekend, I'll see if I can't take some snap shots of what she has to share with you.

A professor of mine is a coin collector if that is the same. He taught me how much you can learn about a civilization by their currency.

My mother actually is... She had a coworker who traveled the world and brought back currency (mostly coins) from other areas of the world. My wife and I actually just brought some belizian money back for her.

I'm going down there this weekend, I'll see if I can't take some snap shots of what she has to share with you.
That would be awesome, foreign currency is so much nicer looking than ours. We got lazy.

A professor of mine is a coin collector if that is the same. He taught me how much you can learn about a civilization by their currency.
Yes sir, any study or collecting of currency falls into the category of Numismatics.

I was really big into it as a kid and got a bunch of cool stuff, but I've made a lot of money recently on things I found in rolls of various denominations of coins I bought from banks.

In one roll of nickels, I found 2 Jefferson nickels where there is no line or detail for the neck, so it looks like Jefferson's head is floating. I was able to find almost no information on the error until I called a guy in Chicago that told me that he only knows of a few of them that have ever been up for sale, and that they have gone for no less than $50, and as much as $125. So I did what any rational person would do, and I put it on ebay :D

And from the 2 boxes of pennies I spent $50 on, I was able to separate the copper pennies and sell them off and return the rest to the bank. All total, I made a profit of $25 for work I was gonna do anyway. And I kept all the real valuable stuff for myself.

I have an up and coming collection

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.