Post of the Year Post of the Year:  0
    BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    Army

Default Any Numismatists Around These Parts?

Just curious to see if I'm the only one. I have a lot of interesting stuff, thought it would be fun to share with others who enjoy the hobby.
    0 0 0 0

It's ok, I don't like you either.

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Florida Atlantic

I had to google what Numismatists were. Yes, I try to collect as much currency as I can! Unfortunately, I also have a bad habit of spending it as well.
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    George Mason

My mother actually is... She had a coworker who traveled the world and brought back currency (mostly coins) from other areas of the world. My wife and I actually just brought some belizian money back for her.

I'm going down there this weekend, I'll see if I can't take some snap shots of what she has to share with you.
    0 0 0 0

2016 BGO Survivor Champ

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Florida State

A professor of mine is a coin collector if that is the same. He taught me how much you can learn about a civilization by their currency.
    0 0 0 0

The more things change...the more they stay the same. It's like deja vu all over again.

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    Army

Quote Originally Posted by tshile View Post
    My mother actually is... She had a coworker who traveled the world and brought back currency (mostly coins) from other areas of the world. My wife and I actually just brought some belizian money back for her.

I'm going down there this weekend, I'll see if I can't take some snap shots of what she has to share with you.
    That would be awesome, foreign currency is so much nicer looking than ours. We got lazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Elephant View Post
    A professor of mine is a coin collector if that is the same. He taught me how much you can learn about a civilization by their currency.
    Yes sir, any study or collecting of currency falls into the category of Numismatics.

I was really big into it as a kid and got a bunch of cool stuff, but I've made a lot of money recently on things I found in rolls of various denominations of coins I bought from banks.

In one roll of nickels, I found 2 Jefferson nickels where there is no line or detail for the neck, so it looks like Jefferson's head is floating. I was able to find almost no information on the error until I called a guy in Chicago that told me that he only knows of a few of them that have ever been up for sale, and that they have gone for no less than $50, and as much as $125. So I did what any rational person would do, and I put it on ebay

And from the 2 boxes of pennies I spent $50 on, I was able to separate the copper pennies and sell them off and return the rest to the bank. All total, I made a profit of $25 for work I was gonna do anyway. And I kept all the real valuable stuff for myself.
    0 0 0 0

It's ok, I don't like you either.

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Navy

I have an up and coming collection
    0 0 0 0

User Tag List