• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

PFT: Despite new additions, Santana Moss might still be the man

BGO

The amazing part about the Redskins offseason splurge at wide receiver could be that they only bought one starter, not two. Despite handing out a pair of quick free agent contracts to Pierre Garcon and Josh Morgan, there’s a chance Santana Moss is still a starter this year, according to ESPN’s Dan Graziano. He wrote…
b.gif

More...

I have actually thought this was possible from Day 1 of the Garçon/Morgan era and that is without taking Hank into consideration. If everyone is healthy my depth chart has gone like this all along:

1. Garçon and/or Moss
2. Hankerson
3. Morgan

However, considering the number of injuries teams see at the WR position (not just in Washington but league wide) I begin to think that being 4 or 5 deep with starter quality is a requirement so I don't view our FA spending on Garçon and Morgan as wasteful. Even when everyone is healthy my guess is we will see all 4 of these guys in various combinations.

If Garçon shows top dog consistency, and Hank can nail down the other side, a healthy Moss, and whichever TE happens to be on the field at the time, are gonna give nickel backs, safeties, and LB's many a sleepless night.

If this works out to be a third of what it looks like on paper...

I didn't know that Morgan's road back from injury was going to be this complicated. Based on this, the $12M deal seems to be a bit of a game wager.

But Hankerson is in effect a 'new' player at WR with a mulligan of a rookie season, so the combination of his abilities and those of Garcon should upgrade the offense significantly in 2011-2012.

The presence of these physical receivers WILL only help to benefit Moss on the inside.

At 33, he is clearly a complementary player. But he could end up with 60 catches and 800 yards playing that role.

Morgan's deal is a 2-year, $7.5M deal. The 5 year, $12.5M deal voids after two years, and is just a way to prorate the signing bonus. After two years they'll either cut bait or sign him to a new deal.

I really don't think Santana has been in danger of being cut. The offense was much more effective last year with him in the lineup than it was with him out of the lineup. This was true even right after he came back and still wasn't 100%. With Garçon now on the team, Moss is just that much more dangerous. Now you have to pick your guy to double.

Is he reaching an age where he bares watching? Sure. Is he done yet? I don't think so.

I think the reasoning behind some suggesting he may get cut is the salary. He gets a healthy pay check this season. However, from all accounts he is determined to earn that money.

I think the reasoning behind some suggesting he may get cut is the salary. He gets a healthy pay check this season. However, from all accounts he is determined to earn that money.
He's also the only real "established" WR we have in this system.

I don't think I have seen anyone including Moss indicate that the expectation is that he is going to be the #1 receiver.

I could see a 'push the clock back' season, however, from Moss where he has a late career uptick in production that bucks the recent downward trend from 2010 and 2011.

I don't think I have seen anyone including Moss indicate that the expectation is that he is going to be the #1 receiver.

I could see a 'push the clock back' season, however, from Moss where he has a late career uptick in production that bucks the recent downward trend from 2010 and 2011.

I agree with this. I mentioned some time back I wouldn't be surprised if he has a resurgence similar to what Steve Smith had when Cam Newton arrived.

He has been alone as a threat on the outside for years now and without a legit QB to get him the ball in stride where he is arguably at his most dangerous. I'm not sure "resurgence" is the correct word for that. It is damn tough for anyone to be their best when balls are off target and you know you will pull double coverage on nearly every play.

The idea of a resurgence implies that Moss has struggled in some way personally and while he has had his share of bad moments, show me a receiver in the league who doesn't have bad moments. I dont' think he has played poorly at all, especially considering the lack of talent on the front end of the passes coming Moss's way.

I guess most see last year's injury shortened season and what Smith did with Newton throwing him the ball and think of it as resurgence.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.