• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

NFL.com: Robert Griffin III on Cousins: It's not a competition

Califan007

The Rookie
Reaction score
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000...-griffin-iii-on-cousins-its-not-a-competition

Robert Griffin III on Cousins: It's not a competition

Every once in a while, Robert Griffin III sits down for a long interview with SBNation.com.

We're usually too lazy to watch it and transcribe it, but Dan Steinberg of DC Sports Bog is not that lazy. And he uncovered a few fun sound bites from Griffin's weekend interview. We love how blunt Griffin is when describing his relationship with fellow rookie Kirk Cousins.

"With Kirk, it's fine. They brought me in for a reason," Griffin said. "We all know they brought me in to be the starter, and I plan to be the starter, and they brought him in for a reason as well. He knows that.

"And it's not a competition. Let's just go ahead and say that. But we're cool. ... We work out together, we were roommates for rookie minicamp, so there's no conflict there."

That cocky S.O.B. lol :D...

Sounds pretty cocky to me.

Here's the video they got that blurb from:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QB5GSutChyU[/media]

But its not a competition...everyone knows that. Especially since Shanahan already named him the starter.

Just because it is the truth does not disqualify the statement from being cocky. He would have been wise to simply say he is here to win games for the Redskins...let's move on. This type of comment is the type that could come back and bite someone in the arse. Again, I have come to believe the kid has the goods to be very successful and help change the culture in DC back to a winning one, but this is the type of stuff that just needs to go unsaid.

You think this is good for Cousins? And while his "feelings" may be insignificant, Kirk Cousins could play a tremendous role in our future. Griff has already shown he is susceptible to injury.

Just feeding the 24/7 news cycle more than it needs to be fed.

Eh, and I think the 24/7 news cycle is just salivating for a QB controversy to write 7 million articles about if RG3 shows any weakness. Its really a lose-lose for these kids. I'm personally a HUGE fan of the kid's confidence or cockiness, whatever you want to call it. I'm just about fed up with the alternative:

Cluelessness from Rex Grossman
Complete Ineptness from John Beck
Quiet Averageness from Jason Campbell
Solemn vet leadership from Mark Brunell
Complete WTFness from Ramsey, Matthews and Wuerrfel
etc., etc., etc.

The kid knows his role. Could a comment like this bite him in the ass? Sure...but only if he sucks, and in that case the franchise is screwed over anyway with no first round picks for the next 2 years. I prefer to be optimistic. :)

Eh, and I think the 24/7 news cycle is just salivating for a QB controversy to write 7 million articles about if RG3 shows any weakness. Its really a lose-lose for these kids. I'm personally a HUGE fan of the kid's confidence or cockiness, whatever you want to call it. I'm just about fed up with the alternative:

Cluelessness from Rex Grossman
Complete Ineptness from John Beck
Quiet Averageness from Jason Campbell
Solemn vet leadership from Mark Brunell
Complete WTFness from Ramsey, Matthews and Wuerrfel
etc., etc., etc.

The kid knows his role. Could a comment like this bite him in the ass? Sure...but only if he sucks, and in that case the franchise is screwed over anyway with no first round picks for the next 2 years. I prefer to be optimistic. :)

I share your frustration. And I agree it's nice to have "confidence" in our starting QB again. I want to be an optimist too, but damn has it come back to sting me over the last...well...you know how long!

I just wish he would get off the road show and start learning the other 35% of the play book. We are about 90 days from the opener in New Orleans and I look forward to an upset down there...

Yep, I'm looking forward to a whole BUNCH of upsets from him! I really just want to see him on the field...still doesn't feel real quite yet.

I can see, if you just *read* his comments they could come off cocky, even cold. But when you hear his tone on tape, it's clear there is no disrespect felt or intended. I actually think his comment about 'this isn't a competition' was more reflective of saying 'we're not trying to climb over each other's dead body' than it was meant to convey 'I'm so much better than Cousins'.

I don't like hearing he's exhausted from 'appearances' though. I think the team needs to keep a handle on some of the requests he's getting so they can be sure he's focused on job #1.

Fear - I don't know why, but I totally cannot read your posting style. Is that sarcasm? Humor? Random? I have no idea.

I don't like hearing he's exhausted from 'appearances' though. I think the team needs to keep a handle on some of the requests he's getting so they can be sure he's focused on job #1.

Agreed. Enough of the cameras and microphones already. He needs to focus on the game.

Fear - I don't know why, but I totally cannot read your posting style. Is that sarcasm? Humor? Random? I have no idea.

Hahaha! I was afraid to ask myself.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Haha, it was a quote from Griff after the first day of rookie minicamp.

Griffin, meanwhile, doesn't have a problem with Washington drafting Cousins. "Kirk is trying to make this team just like I'm trying to make this team," he said. "[But] they brought me in for a reason, and I plan to go out and do what I'm supposed to do and that's help this team win." The two quarterbacks even roomed, studied and ate together during rookie minicamp.

"There are no issues there," Griffin said via Keim. "We're cool. We ate a burrito together -- not the same burrito."

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/e...-iii-hes-the-starter-period-heading-into-otas

It sounded familiar but I couldn't figure it - nice reference :) Griffin's got a little bit of a quirky sense of humor at times, doesn't he?

Cocky, head strong, arrogant. All good traits for a QB, IMO. It's an island position and requires some one with those traits to really excel. The argument that a player needs to be pushed by competition only applies to the losers. The greats thrive on their own success and dismiss competition as a threat as even possible. Atleast until they pass their prime.

As to him giving interviews and such, everyone who speaks about him comments how hard he is working. He can't be expected to become a recluse. There are only so many hours in the day you can be laser focused on anything.

The argument that a player needs to be pushed by competition only applies to the losers. The greats thrive on their own success and dismiss competition as a threat as even possible.

Couldn't be further from the truth. Are you telling me that Magic and Bird were losers?

As to him giving interviews and such, everyone who speaks about him comments how hard he is working. He can't be expected to become a recluse.

Who is calling for him to become a recluse?

Couldn't be further from the truth. Are you telling me that Magic and Bird were losers?

Who is calling for him to become a recluse?

Of course they weren't losers, but they weren't driven to their successes by their competition. They were driven to their excesses because they were driven to be the best. It's an inner drive that separates the absolute best athletes from the rest. If you don't have it, some contrived notion of competing with others in camp isn't going to get you anywhere close. He was brought here to be the man and everyone knows it. He's taking it as his responsibility. No sense in sugar coating the situation or throwing out platitudes on a competition that doesn't exist.

elephant said:
I just wish he would get off the road show and start learning the other 35% of the play book. We are about 90 days from the opener in New Orleans and I look forward to an upset down there...

You insinuated he is not giving fulll effort to learn the play book. He can either shut himself off or he can participate with the media. Theres no reason for him to shut himself off when every indication form anyone in the know is he is working his but off. Complaining that he should be studying instead of giving interviews and such is humorous.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.