A Burgundy and Gold Obsession
'Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.' - Groucho Marx

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Disagree Disagree:  0
Post of the Year Post of the Year:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    2016 BGO Survivor Champ

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Florida State

Default Twitter: Useful or Not?

I was reading the interaction over in another thread about Twitter and thought it could be a good discussion.

What I wanted to touch upon is the use of Twitter as a news source. The misunderstanding of Twitter, or at least mine, was that it was what Extreme said...anyone posting anything they want. The reality is much different. Today, I use Twitter as a guide. It's kinda like Pro Football Talk, they are nothing but hacks but Florio and the others direct you to the main source or at least the source they are citing. And just with any other form of media, you have to sift through the BS to find the truth.

I joined Twitter to find the latest Redskins' news as the draft approached, what I have found is a great way for me to follow my favorite media sources and sources from the other side just to see what they are saying. I follow Charles Krauthammer, but I also follow Rachel Maddow. Gotta see what both sides are saying. And Twitter gives me a condensed format to follow just about anyone I want to get straight to the source of the story. Hell, I have been hounding David Axelrod lately and he mentioned us in his presser yesterday while being heckled.

I used to think it was a bunch of teenaged girls putting out messages about their new hair color, and if you follow Niles Paul like I do you might get that impression. But what I have been able to see other than the news media sources is the players and their relationships with one another. You can see who is taking the offseason seriously and who may be having too much fun, not concentrating on the upcoming season.

Overall, my attitude toward Twitter has changed. It provides me the opportunity to get caught up with the days events much easier than sifting through much of the user unfriendly, advertisement laden newspapers I used to go to. If there is someone I am following that is too dramatic or immature, I simply delete them. It's real simple. Twitter is a valuable tool to stay on top of current events and many times you get the news straight from the source not filtered down through 8 different media sources.
    0 0 0 0

The more things change...the more they stay the same. It's like deja vu all over again.

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Florida Atlantic

You pretty much nailed it - its the wave of the future, and most major stories break there first. Its fantastic for sports - you get breaking news first like injuries, who will play and who won't play, interviews, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Elephant
    I used to think it was a bunch of teenaged girls putting out messages about their new hair color
    There is probably a lot of that too. But its not the news itself, Twitter is a tool. This is what most people who say they hate it don't realize. Twitter is what you make of it. Its a 100% customizable window to the world. Whatever you want to hear about, you find the people/sources who represent that and follow them. For example, Redskins football you can follow national NFL news guys, local beat reporters, the players themselves, other NFC East reporters, etc. It really is revolutionary.
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

hmmmm.....I suppose that tops a well thought out search function!

in the event....links to questionable news are...well....links to questionable news.

symptomatic of the nano-second culture we now must survive.
    0 0 0 0

2016 BGO Survivor Champ

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Florida State

Quote Originally Posted by fansince62 View Post
    hmmmm.....I suppose that tops a well thought out search function!

in the event....links to questionable news are...well....links to questionable news.

symptomatic of the nano-second culture we now must survive.
    As well as links to quality news are links to...well...quality news.

Instead of having to go to the Washington Post and suffer through much of the liberal blather and never ending advertisements, I can simply follow them on Twitter and scan right past it without getting lost in the maze of nonsense.
    0 0 0 0

The more things change...the more they stay the same. It's like deja vu all over again.

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Elephant View Post
    As well as links to quality news are links to...well...quality news.

Instead of having to go to the Washington Post and suffer through much of the liberal blather and never ending advertisements, I can simply follow them on Twitter and scan right past it without getting lost in the maze of nonsense.
    ahh....but...my man...how do you know they are quality news?
    0 0 0 0

2016 BGO Survivor Champ

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Florida State

Quote Originally Posted by fansince62 View Post
    ahh....but...my man...how do you know they are quality news?

Well, you and I certainly know!
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Elephant View Post
    Well, you and I certainly know!
    ha! spoken like a soon to be pops!

keep us posted El!!! we're all anxious to see some picts of Elephant Jr!!!!
    0 0 0 0

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    Army

I don't hate Twitter, I just have no use for it personally. Even if I ever did decide to check it out, I would never use it for a news source, just as I wouldn't use facebook for a news source. It's social site, not a news source.

And as I have seen in the past on the news many times, any asshat can create an account and change one tiny thing about the name to dupe a bunch of idiots into believing it's the actual person. That fact alone invalidates everything from Twitter for me, whether it's true or not.

Not only that, but if something is breaking on Twitter and nowhere else, it doesn't carry any weight. Real news gets picked up by real sources. To me, it's like citing Wikipedia. Sure there's a lot of useful information, but there's no way to filter out the BS.
    0 0 0 0

It's ok, I don't like you either.

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    Army

Quote Originally Posted by MikeSr619 View Post
    man, what is up with the negativity about a SOCIAL website? its meant for whatever you use it for. if you want to follow a real celeb they have a blue check mark by their name that proves the celeb themselves verified it is them.

twitter breaking news carries plenty of weight. if it is coming from adam shefter or mort you can best beleive that twitter post is going to be linked on SportsCenter or whatever other sports media show picks it up as a source. they are very credible.
    I have no problem with them at all as a social site, I was speaking strictly on the newsworthiness of the site. Kind of like how people to this day still trash TMZ, even though 99% of the stories they have ever broken turned out to be accurate.

Then you take into account that celeb social site accounts are ALWAYS getting hacked.......http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story...of-9-11-attack
    0 0 0 0

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    Army

I've used every social media site that has ever come along other than Twitter. It isn't that I have something against it, I just have no use for it. News that matters to me will be on the sites I go to for news, and I use facebook for all my social stuff. It's just preference, that's all.

Then there's this
    http://dysfunctionalparrot.com/5-things/twitter-sucks/

Besides, with how much I tend to overdo it with my talking, imagine me trying to force that into 140 characters or less. It would be like reading 2 dozen horribly done custom license plates

Consider my lack of Twitter involvement my gift to society. But as I've said, I've never even been on the site. Not even for a glance, so maybe I'm missing out. Maybe I fear change. But if I never know, I can't miss it.
    Last edited by Nobody; 06-01-12 at 07:02 PM.
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    James Madison

Ex, Twitter's pretty reputable for a lot of the reasons Mike just went into. It's perfectly reliabe if you use common sense and due diligence, just like any other site.

(just so you know, all your reasons for not using Twitter are reflective of the fact that it is clear you have never used it. )
    0 0 0 0

OLine. DLine. Secondary.

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I opened a twitter account some time ago. I never use it. Probably because just don't understand the lingo. Nothing wrong with Twitter, but for me don't see the draw.

To me kind of like LinkedIn. I have an account there but not active. Every time I look there is a new social networking site. I do Facebook to a degree, but not on it like many.
    My question is how does someone keep up with all these social networking sites? You would have to live online.
    0 0 0 0

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    Army

Quote Originally Posted by riggins44 View Post
    I opened a twitter account some time ago. I never use it. Probably because just don't understand the lingo. Nothing wrong with Twitter, but for me don't see the draw.

To me kind of like LinkedIn. I have an account there but not active. Every time I look there is a new social networking site. I do Facebook to a degree, but not on it like many.
    My question is how does someone keep up with all these social networking sites? You would have to live online.
    We definitely share the same mindset on stuff like this.

That, and I just don't think I'm interesting enough to justify trying to get people to care about my random thoughts on a regular basis. Although I have had random strangers on multiple occasions come up to me and tell me what big fans they were of my facebook page, which kind of creeped me out. They were always a friend of a friend or a friend of a relative. It semi bothers me that the people who tell me they have a nightly routine of reading my updates, are the same people on my list that never comment or like anything.

I don't get it, since most of what I type are just random thoughts that come to me on the toilet
    0 0 0 0

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Florida State

I use twitter for nonstop laughs throughout the day. I basically just follow comedians, and a few Magic bloggers.

I haven't found any great Redskins sources to follow yet.
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Blog Entries

Twitter is a delivery system, nothing more and nothing less.

It is as authoritative as those you chose to follow are, nothing more and nothing less.

If you want solid news from it, follow good journalists. If you want good sports reporting, follow good sports reporters. If you want great comedic train wrecks, follow Kim Kardasian.

It is really pretty simple folks.
    0 0 0 0

Subscribe to our BGO Mailing List

hailus redskinus
    COYS

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by riggins44 View Post
    My question is how does someone keep up with all these social networking sites?
    why would you want to?
    0 0 0 0

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    Army

0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeSr619 View Post
    Because some people aren't the old guy shaking his fist at things he doesn't understand.
    Posted via BGO Mobile Device
    uh huh! and some people stare at the curtain while others KNOW what lies behind it.

pls....you can do better than that....my child!
    0 0 0 0

2016 BGO Survivor Champ

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Florida State

Oh boi! The simple fact is this. I read many news publications throughout the day. I am a current events junky. I got tired of going to the Washington Post because every other story led you straight to EJ Dionne, Eugene Robinson, and Dana Milbank and they are all disingenuous at best. They make me want to vomit with their half-truths and the way they mislead their readers.

I like to come here to follow Redskins and chat with friends, but I get more inside info from the sources I follow on Twitter.

I like the idea McD5 offered to follow a few comedians and will start doing that and I follow NASA now to see the latest on the Space program and the cool images they post.

We are not talking about spending 24 hours a day on the internet. That's the beauty I have found with Twitter, instead of leafing through the morass of bull**** today's papers offer, I have found a tool that will narrow it all down for me. Twitter is not some social media that you are forced to listen to a bunch of 20 somethings dicuss their latest escapades, unless you subscribe to it. Like others have mentioned it is a tool to assist the individual reach their selected interests. It is a tool I once bashed and vowed to never participate, but I have changed my tune now that I see the value.
    0 0 0 0

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Florida State

For anyone looking to laugh throughout the day, here are four of the best on twitter:

@ItsWillyFerrel

@ImLeslieChow

@OhWonka

@BadluckBrian
    0 0 0 0