• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Hatfields & McCoys

Nobody

Super Bowl MVP
Reaction score
Military Branch
Army
This was easily the best miniseries I've ever seen. For those who didn't watch, I promise you it is worth pre-ordering the DVD from Amazon.

From the knowledge I have about the two families from reading up on the feud years ago, the series was pretty close on historical accuracy. It was obviously done with a slant that favored the Hatfields, but not to the point of skewing the documented facts at all.

I thought the acting was top notch, the writers did an amazing job, and I'm just disappointed that it was only 3 nights long.

One thing is for sure though, it amazes me that the McCoy family survived. They are quite possibly the biggest bunch of bumbling buffoons this country has ever seen.

It has been great. I've only seen the first two parts. But why order it? It will be played over and over again on the History Channel.

It has been great. I've only seen the first two parts. But why order it? It will be played over and over again on the History Channel.
Unedited and commercial free :)

Lonesome dove will be hard to top but this looks like it has potential.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device
It's funny you say that Mike. I haven't watched Lonesome Dove, but my dad was talking about it last night and said Hatfields & McCoys is right up there at the peak with it.

And apparently this is breaking every cable record for ratings. Not too shabby. It's averaging something like 14 million viewers, which is made more impressive when you consider shows like American Idol, which are free and have a ravenous fanbase, averaged 18 million and it's more widely available.

Last edited:
Meh, I thought the ending was lackluster, the acting was great at some points but some of the lesser known actors were flat out bad (Johnse) and there could have been a little more emphasis on the residual effects of the initial feud on the children/nieces and nephews than a few blurbs at the end to tell us what happened to the key players. These families had issues that carried well into the 20th century, maybe that would have opened up too many sub-plots.

I liked the overall product, but I would call this anything but great. The best mini-series ever seen? I would have to say Band of Brothers exceeds this series ten-fold.

Meh, I thought the ending was lackluster
It was, but given the story there was really nowhere else they could have taken it.

the acting was great at some points but some of the lesser known actors were flat out bad (Johnse)
Outside of Johnse, who I agree was terrible, I thought it was perfectly cast.

I liked the overall product, but I would call this anything but great. The best mini-series ever seen? I would have to say Band of Brothers exceeds this series ten-fold.
Lol, I was disappointed with BoB. I preferred Saving Private Ryan myself, and didn't make it past the second installment of BoB, it put me to sleep.

Last edited:
I will have to check it out if they play it again.

I saw the poster for this in the movie theater the other day, and just assumed it was a movie. Didn't see the History Channel logo at the bottom, otherwise I probably would have DVR'd it.

I will have to check it out if they play it again.

I saw the poster for this in the movie theater the other day, and just assumed it was a movie. Didn't see the History Channel logo at the bottom, otherwise I probably would have DVR'd it.

All three parts are on every night this week--literally.

And probably for many weeks to come. Set the dvr.

Haven't seen episode three yet but what I have seen I thought was great.

Anse Hatfield took no crap off of anyone!!

From what I've read, he carried a rifle everywhere he went til the day he died.

I thought it was good. Matched some of the known facts and kept it entertaining.

I wouldn't call it the best mini-series ever though. I might give that nod to Roots.

Meh, I thought the ending was lackluster, the acting was great at some points but some of the lesser known actors were flat out bad (Johnse) and there could have been a little more emphasis on the residual effects of the initial feud on the children/nieces and nephews than a few blurbs at the end to tell us what happened to the key players. These families had issues that carried well into the 20th century, maybe that would have opened up too many sub-plots.

You guys didn't like Johnse? He was one of the few interesting characters that kept me watching. Hate to say it, but this was just plain 'okay'. Worth a watch - but best mini-series ever? Not even in the conversation. Right off the top of my head, 'Roots' blows this away and it's not even close. As previously mentioned, 'Lonesome Dove' is also far superior. I could probably rattle off 5 or 6 more that were better done. You guys are just too young to appreciate a really well done miniseries :)

You guys didn't like Johnse? He was one of the few interesting characters that kept me watching. Hate to say it, but this was just plain 'okay'. Worth a watch - but best mini-series ever? Not even in the conversation. Right off the top of my head, 'Roots' blows this away and it's not even close. As previously mentioned, 'Lonesome Dove' is also far superior. I could probably rattle off 5 or 6 more that were better done. You guys are just too young to appreciate a really well done miniseries :)

Character was fine, although there is something to be said about a man who cannot control his wang. The actor sucked, IMO. I like the overall product, but it was only slightly above average for me.

And I remember the greats like Roots...and who can forget the great series V? :movefast:

Roots is a fantasy series.

Band of brothers was amazing. But I can remember being excited rvery time dove was coming on.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Fantasy? I don't think people fantasize about slavery.

Perhaps you mean fiction. That it is. And Haley did plagiarize much of that work.

But there is nothing that says miniseries have to be non-fiction. V is a miniseries, and would be better classified as fantasy than Roots.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.