• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

If our defense is so great......

Don't blame Gibbs or Syneratto for the moves at Safety. That was all Gregg Williams. Don't kid yourselves, my brothers, and don't fall into the trap of blaming the easy choice. Williams made the personnel decisions for the defensive side of the ball.

So, what you're saying is that Gregg had all control over the draft that year? Or you are saying he convinced them to draft LL through repeated pestering? Either way, the GM's job is to provide the strongest team possible to the coaches; with an aging RB and problems all along the OL & DL developing, the GM should have overruled him.

Why not just admit the truth. The 1999 Redskins had the 30th ranked defense but went 10-6, won the division and won a playoff game, falling a field goal short of the NFC title game.

In today's NFL you go as far as your qb and skill players are going to take you.

NE was in the Super Bowl with the 31st ranked defense this year. The Packers went 15-1 with a bottom five unit.

Now, there is no reason to AIM for a low-rated defense, but the fact the Redskins don't have a pro bowl player at EVERY position on defense is hardly a reason to beat yourself over the head in the offseason.

This defense is playoff caliber. It would be championship caliber if the Redskins had been able to land a true #1 cornerback and you could guarantee that the younger players from 2011 will improve that 25% in Year 1/2 in the scheme.

Hall will cost this team 1-2 games this year just as he did last year against Dallas where Dez Bryant used him like a rag doll.

But you can only fill so many holes a season.

That's when the GM or Head Coach step in and say no...so it is on them too Neo.

So, what you're saying is that Gregg had all control over the draft that year? Or you are saying he convinced them to draft LL through repeated pestering? Either way, the GM's job is to provide the strongest team possible to the coaches; with an aging RB and problems all along the OL & DL developing, the GM should have overruled him.

You two agree? Wow. This is nearly proof I am wrong in and of itself. ;)

Gibbs and Cerrato look at the board and at the team, and between them determine that the top pick would be best spent on defense. So they go to Gregg and ask him which one of the top defensive players he can use the most. His answer is Landry. Gibbs has never gotten involved with the defensive personnel choices, this is well documented, and Vinny was all about getting the coaches whoever they wanted. Is that scenario so hard to discount?

You two agree? Wow. This is nearly proof I am wrong in and of itself. ;)

:nana:

Gibbs and Cerrato look at the board and at the team, and between them determine that the top pick would be best spent on defense. So they go to Gregg and ask him which one of the top defensive players he can use the most. His answer is Landry. Gibbs has never gotten involved with the defensive personnel choices, this is well documented, and Vinny was all about getting the coaches whoever they wanted. Is that scenario so hard to discount?

No, not at all. However the fault still lies with Cerrato in this scenario, because he has a responsibility to build the team smartly. Drafting a safety in the top 6 with so many other needs on the team was not only dumb, but totally irresponsible. I bet a lot of coaches want a lot of players, but they are overruled by GMs building their teams from the lines out.

The Redskins failed to land a franchis qb, they failed to build quality depth on the DL and OL.

A large part of that was the focus on less impactful positions generally - safety, linebacker, running back, etc.

Cerrato thought nothing of trading a #2 pick to Miami for 35 year old Jason Taylor who was then miscast as a 4-3 defensive end.

Meanwhile as indicated two top ten picks for safeties!

Did the Giants, Packers, Saints or Patriots invest that heavily at safety?

Of course not. The major investments were made up front.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

the difference between good and great defences is consistency.

Great defencies play at a high level every play. There is no taking plays off the intensity is maintained.

Our defence needs to get consistent. How many times do we put teams on 3rd and long and watch them make it? far too many to be called a great D.

How many times did our defense hold and get the other team to punt only to end up on the field again two plays later because of a fumble or interception from Grossman?

This offense simply killed the rest of the team last year. They wasted good field position when it was given to them on special teams and often left the defense starting drives on the wrong side of the 50.

The three games that Beck played it seemed obvious that NO ONE on the field believed in him or his ability to lead the team to a win.

Interesting tidbit on Rotoworld about MeAngelo. This could pay some big dividends:

DeAngelo Hall anticipates playing a Charles Woodson-type role in the Redskins' revised 2012 defense, moving all around the formation.

Woodson covers slot receivers, plays safety in some packages, and matches up one-on-one at left cornerback in the base defense. "He got Defensive Player of the Year [covering slot receivers], so hopefully I can get some of that same kind of buzz and excitement out there, making plays," Hall said. "I’m definitely relishing the opportunity to get in there." It could also be nice for his IDP value.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/2773/deangelo-hall

williams has always liked having a strong secondary because he gets his rush from backers and dbs and uses dline to contain, he isssuper blitzhappy.

this defence needs a cover corner and a safety as well as a NT and at least one inside backer.

williams has always liked having a strong secondary because he gets his rush from backers and dbs and uses dline to contain, he isssuper blitzhappy.

this defence needs a cover corner and a safety as well as a NT and at least one inside backer.
Agree with safety and NT.

Cover corner would also be nice as long as folks give up on the idea of a "shut-down corner", since these are becoming less and less common and certainly NOT a prerequisite for a championship team.

Agree with safety and NT.

Cover corner would also be nice as long as folks give up on the idea of a "shut-down corner", since these are becoming less and less common and certainly NOT a prerequisite for a championship team.

I hate the term shutdown corner because there are maybe 3 in the NFL, we need a cover guy though who will give us a guy who can at least stay with top end receivers. we also need to get Londons replacement NOW and train him up not wait until Londons wheels fall off, I love the guy but he cant play forver. and we need a real nosetackle this defence will continue giving up huge plays as long as we lack one.

I hate the term shutdown corner because there are maybe 3 in the NFL, we need a cover guy though who will give us a guy who can at least stay with top end receivers. we also need to get Londons replacement NOW and train him up not wait until Londons wheels fall off, I love the guy but he cant play forver. and we need a real nosetackle this defence will continue giving up huge plays as long as we lack one.
I hear you on both counts.

I think cover corner should be priority 1 or 2 in next years' draft (we just will have to roll with what we have this year).

Isn't the LB we took this year suppsed to be London's replacement? Honestly, I always feel a little concerned about relying on a mid-round pick to replace a stalwart starter like London. We'll have to see, I guess.

Cofield is not a true NT. He did a decent job filling in last year but would be so much better suited in the DE role in the 3-4, w/ Cofield spelling the NT in rotation w/ Nield. We need someone like Soliai, Ngata, Casey Hampton or Raji. I would even bring in Aubrayo Franklin for one year at limited money til we can find a young guy in the draft next year. Who knows how Jarvis Jenkins is going to play? But even he is better suited for the DE role in the 3-4 than a true NT. Get the NT and between Cofield, Carriker, Jenkins, and Bowen you have about as good a rotation at DE as any team in the NFL who runs a 3-4. That alone would make the CB position better with all the pressure they would get on the QB.

The team should always always always be looking to improve DL in the draft. That's part of the reason why the Giants have done well in recent years. Good DL depth.

So even if Cofield is doing OK, why not improve?

Got a question for the smartest fans in all of football - heck, in the entirety of all sports.

If a team comes to us in the next week or anytime before training camp opens and offers a 2013 1st rounder for Brian Orakpo and a 3rd in 2014 (can move to a 2nd if so many snaps are played), should we take it?

The reason I ask is due to some of the comments in this thread and some other thoughts in similar threads. Just asking. :)

I would jump on that in a heart beat BB! I was hoping they could package Rak in the draft pick trade instead of giving up so many 1st rounders. I think Ryman is correct. I like Rak, I think he could be top tier, but he is probably going to be nothing more than pretty good in the 3-4...a waste of his talent if you ask me.

Houston was able to part ways with someone who is even better than Rak, we should be able to let go of Rak for the scheme.

But who would fill Orakpo's shoes, without too much of a drop-off, to make it worth it ?
Rob Jackson ?
Or wait until we use one of those draft picks for his replacement, and start all over again at the position ?

Why are so many selling Orakpo short? What will ya'll say if he gets 15+ sacks this season? You don't trade leaders and stalwarts because you covet future draft picks. Chances are those potential players of the future won't come close Orakpo. Hell, I remember John Clayton's comments that Orakpo would go #1 overall if there was a draft redux after his rookie season. Orakpo is way ahead of schedule for a good to great career. The sky's the limit...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.