• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

SBNATION: Chris Cooley Smokes Cigarettes

I think you should DM him a message about taking 12-14 years off his life.

:)

I have a few thoughts:

What % of athletes smoke?

We have one TE that smokes cigarettes, another that smokes pot.

Does this impact his speed? And does this lessen his chances of making the team?

I can't believe Shanny is happy about this. And I'm reminded again of former players who have said that the culture in DC has been more about partying than winning football games.

Is this a big deal, or no?

Big...****ing...Deal.

Hank Sr. had a great song titled, "Mind Your Own Business"

One of the lines goes...
"Cause if you mind your own business, you won't be minding mine"

Ax, I'm putting you in the "it's not a big deal" group.:smile2:

But does the team want to take a big financial risk on a guy coming back from another injury, who is smoking during his rehab?

Ax, I'm putting you in the "it's not a big deal" group.:smile2:

But does the team want to take a big financial risk on a guy coming back from another injury, who is smoking during his rehab?
It's none of their business. Should they exclude drinkers? Red meat eaters? Soda drinkers? People who eat real butter?

It's a non-issue.

I think it's a cautionary tale to athletes in general that they can and will be photographed ANYWHERE. This isn't a great PR move because he's coming off an injury, but smoking isn't illegal, and ultimately, I think I side with Ax.

The only slight bit of hesitation I have is that I do think it betrays a small amount of poor judgment, but not enough so for me to be truly concerned.

I tend to agree with Ax. Although I believe I'd be a little more pissed if we found out that RG3 smoked, for example.

I tend to agree with Ax. Although I believe I'd be a little more pissed if we found out that RG3 smoked, for example.
Riggins smoked, drank, and played many a game hungover.

I see this as such a colossal non-issue.

Now, if they outlaw tobacco, and smoking it gets you suspended, like our two dopes, Tard Williams & Fred Cannabis, then I'll have a problem with it.

The guy posting that writes as if he just discovered the 2nd shooter on the grassy knoll.

Give me a break.

Assuming he IS smoking there, I know more than a few people that will occasionally smoke, but aren't really smokers - I believe we've all seen people that will do that in a social setting. I doubt he is a consistent smoker, but even if he is, as long as he is able to perform on the field, who cares?

Just to put it in perspective, half of the United States Marine Corps Infantry smokes, and what those guys have to do every day (in terms of intensity, physical endurance, and toughness) dwarfs what a 'professional athlete' has to do.

God - I'm ready for the off-season to be over.

Smoking by athletes probably isn't as rare as it's made out to be. It also isn't a big deal. Wanna know who else smokes or smoked?

Mario Lemieux
Roger Maris
Babe Ruth
Ben Hogan
Stan Mikita
Arnold Palmer
Jack Nicklaus
Bobby Bonds
Earl Weaver
Ricardo Mayorga
John Riggins
Anna Kournikova
Vlade Divac
Michael Irvin
Jack Lambert
Michael Vick
DeAngelo Hall

......Nigel Gruff :laugh:

And this is just a list of people you can either confirm through reports, and some I have witnessed smoking in restaurants around here with my own eyes (Vick, Hall, Divac)

I'm not sure citing athletes who played 30 years ago is very relevant. EVERYONE smoked (or damn near) back then and the dangers really weren't widely understood.

:rotflmao:

I loved Earl Weaver but he was no athlete!

Edit: Oh yeah! And Anna Kournikova is hot!

Edit: And who is to say that it's not an eCig?

And then there was John Kruk. When asked by a reporter who was interviewing him in a bar while he drank whiskey and smoked a cigarette, "You're a professional athlete, how can you drink and smoke?" To which he said, "Professional athlete? I ain't no professional athlete lady, I am a professional baseball player!" :laugh:

Last edited:
So he's effing stupid. He's not alone. Next?

Weed has virtually no detrimental health effects, while cigarette smoking can kill you, cause disease and suffering to you, and those around you who breathe your air.

But which one is illegal and which is not ?

People acting like smoking doesn't effect cardio or long term running are only fooling themselves.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

You hit two key points. Anything you regularly ingest into your lungs besides air, and that's questionable in some places, will damage your lungs in the long term. In the short term at a young age, you can get away with it for a while. I was more then a casual smoker in high school. I ran cross country, sprinted the 100, and ran the 440 relay. I also played soccer and baseball. I never stopped smokin, and smoked more over the years after school. I played sports into my late 20's, and never lost a step because of wind issues.

It caught up with me in my early 40's. Everybody is different, but I never had the training regiment somebody like Cooley has.

Boone makes the perfect point....

I'd be more worried about Cooley's knee then smokin.

Big...****ing...Deal.

Hank Sr. had a great song titled, "Mind Your Own Business"

One of the lines goes...
"Cause if you mind your own business, you won't be minding mine"

yup! society seems to be confused presently. on the one hand it wants to enforce THROUGH law that certain behaviors are private matters and no one's business...and then march off and wank about an individual making a private choice to smoke cigarettes.....:betterwink2:

it's his friggin business! doesn't impact me...right?

Last edited by a moderator:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.